Author Topic: Port forwarding broken. Is there any way to fix this?  (Read 4567 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Port forwarding broken. Is there any way to fix this?
« on: January 04, 2008, 05:30:07 PM »
I've been working on setting up my 1TB NAS as a linux driven web server on the side, and before I could even connect to it, I had to update my firmware on my shithole BFEW11S V4 router from Linksys. I'm not sure if it was actually working before (Though I have a sinking feeling it wasn't) but port forwarding is completely dead on that thing now. Is there any way to bypass that piece of shit, and still use it like I have been? I've got Joomla installed on my server, but I can't access it from the web at the moment because even though http://bobbias.mine.nu is set to the right IP, our router doesn't forward the port. DMZ is dead too. Is there any way to bypass the firewall built into the router and get this working?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Port forwarding broken. Is there any way to fix this?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:58:08 PM »
Judging from a few Google searches that I did, it seems like DD-WRT works with your router.  Give it a shot -- it's damn good.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:11:08 AM »
Oh, I didn't think there were any 3rd party firmwares for this thing. I thought they were all for the wireless G one. I checked the hardware support on the site and the only models I see are the WRT300N, WRT350N, WRT600N, and WTR54GS.

I think we're going to be buying a new router sometime soon anyway, so I guess I can deal with it until then.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:00:49 AM »
I think just about all of the Linksys routers are based on the same platform (either Linux or VxWorks on the later ones).  Both the Linux-based and the VxWorks-based routers can be upgraded to DD-WRT.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »
well, I don't feel like possibly trashing my router right now. I might be able to share internet using my computer as a gateway for my My Book, but I'd rather not try it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »
Internet Connection Sharing is surprisingly good.  It's not the most flexible solution in the world, but having a decent Internet gateway package (complete with a DHCP server, DNS forwarding, and port/service forwarding) included in a consumer edition operating system is really quite nice.