Author Topic: mass effect  (Read 14143 times)

vladgd

mass effect
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:33:16 PM »
ok since im the only person to really post here, i am making this thread, as i am still playing this game.

still chugging along on the new game + to get the asari/quarian ally achievements.  finished noveria and feros, working on completing all of the citadel missions.  uhh and im level 55, so 5 more levels until i get the level 60 achievement.

if i manage to get the ally achievements, either A: i will start a new game on hardcore difficulty(as you can assume, yes, i get an achievement for this), as an engineer (for the engineer skill related achievements) and a renegade (for the renegade achievement) with garrus and wrex (ACHIEVVEEEVEMENTTTTSSS)

or B: kotor 2

the moral of this thread

achievements = if the game is fun enough, adds quite a lot more replay value to the game

i do plan on getting every single achievement in this game

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: mass effect
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
I WANT THIS GAME. =(
"This is a machine for making cows."

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:03:22 PM »
Is it scheduled to come out for PC? Because I'm really interested in playing it.

vladgd

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »
kotor came out for pc

jade empire came out for pc

its possible mass effect will come out for pc, but not for a good while, if at all.

also, if i don't get the asari ally achievement im snapping my mass effect dvd in half. (i have a guide on which quests to do in what order, and im trying to do this perfectly.  meaning, i am doing every single quest in the game this second playthrough, rather than just "most of them" i am doing all of them)

also, i played this sucker on a 27 inch hdtv at my friends house.  (note i haven't played many "next gen" games) it was the most outstanding thing ive seen [graphicly] in a game to date, and the text didn't require me to squint like i have to do on my standard def tv.

wtb hdtv

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 10:31:52 PM »
also, i played this sucker on a 27 inch hdtv at my friends house.  (note i haven't played many "next gen" games) it was the most outstanding thing ive seen [graphicly] in a game to date, and the text didn't require me to squint like i have to do on my standard def tv.

Invest in the VGA adapter and use a computer monitor.

It won't be omg huge like a real HDTV would be, but it makes a huge impact, visually.

vladgd

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:20:28 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001089

i have something similar to this monitor (can't find the exact model) which should look better than my 21 inch crt tv.

only problem, i blew the rest of my money on the mass effect artbook(fanboyism aside, i am also attempting to get better at drawing, so images of sketches are nice starter stuff to practice on).  the adapter (however the price) is going to have to wait.

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 11:54:27 PM »
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 01:04:21 AM »
the adapter (however the price) is going to have to wait.

It's around $40.  Totally worth it, though, especially if your monitor has dual inputs (mine has an analog VGA input and a digital DVI input -- my computer is plugged into the DVI and my 360 is normally plugged into the VGA).

Like this?
http://www.exportsupermart.com/component-vga-box-p-187.html?currency=USD

No.  Microsoft actually released one of their own: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/.  The only issue I've had with it is that original Xbox games won't display properly on 4:3 or 5:4 displays (they'll stuff a widescreen picture into a fullscreen monitor).  A handful of 360 games have that issue as well, but both of the ones I've played that have problems with the VGA adapter aren't really worth playing anyway.  Better still, some games -- such as Halo 3 -- will actually properly display a proper fullscreen image when run on a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor.  Very nice.

Cheap composite to VGA adapters tend to have issues with picture quality.  I seem to recall reading that the only ones that are good enough for any serious use tend to cost $100+.  I definitely wouldn't trust something that has no brand name clearly associated with it.  Even my cheap-ass USB memory card reader has a clearly defined brand name.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 01:51:18 AM »
ok since im the only person to really post here, i am making this thread, as i am still playing this game.

still chugging along on the new game + to get the asari/quarian ally achievements.  finished noveria and feros, working on completing all of the citadel missions.  uhh and im level 55, so 5 more levels until i get the level 60 achievement.

if i manage to get the ally achievements, either A: i will start a new game on hardcore difficulty(as you can assume, yes, i get an achievement for this), as an engineer (for the engineer skill related achievements) and a renegade (for the renegade achievement) with garrus and wrex (ACHIEVVEEEVEMENTTTTSSS)

or B: kotor 2

the moral of this thread

achievements = if the game is fun enough, adds quite a lot more replay value to the game

i do plan on getting every single achievement in this game

It takes an entire playthrough to go from 59 to 60. And you have to kill every enemy in the game on foot since you get less for kills from the Mako.

You can do a new game+ and get the hardcore difficulty achievement as long as you change difficulties before landing on Eden Prime. Also, spamming biotic powers while running around wherever counts towards the mastery achievements.

I loved the game at first but a lot of the design flaws stick out at me now and I thought the story was lame. Joker's also a huge jackass.

Yes there is a PC version planned.

vladgd

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 02:05:02 AM »
to make it easy on myself

beat the game a second time on normal for the asari/quarian ally achievements

beat the game a third time on a new file with an engineer(renegade) using ashley and probably wrex for the engineer skill/wrex/ashley related achievements

beat it a fourth time with an adept on normal using kaiden and garrus for the related achievements

fifth time on hardcore with the soldier

sixth insane soldier

don't play the 360 till gta4 comes out

(or i could stop being a pussy and play hardcore with the engineer and insane with the adept)

also, captain anderson is an awesome character.  joker is useful, but has a constant man period due to the brittle bone disease.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 02:20:43 AM »
Anderson and Saren are the best characters, if only because of the prequel book. The book made me think the game would be more epic than it is.

vladgd

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 06:21:32 PM »
quarian/asari ally get

now i need the level 60 achievement and the sniper rifle (shudder) achievement before i can piss around on other classes.

*edit*

2x beat mass effect achievement get
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:26:19 PM by vladgd »

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 01:52:02 AM »
How long does it take you to clear the game? o_O

vladgd

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 02:06:41 AM »
first run, 32 hours (doing most of the sidequests)

second run(playing on the same file, same character/level/gear), around 18 hours (doing probly a few more sidequests than the last playthrough)

third "run" will be on hardcore, but im not doing that till after i finish my engineer/adept achievement runs (not beating the game, just getting the ally/skill related achievements)

we shall see what that time will be

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 03:01:14 AM »
Doing only the main stuff, you could beat the game in probably 7 hours. Maybe less. You'd be destroyed near the end though.