Author Topic: should i get back into ddr  (Read 23665 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: should i get back into ddr
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2008, 02:57:17 AM »
anyone with some... whatever the hell the current fancy metal pads are (bluesharks? cfs? afterburners?) that work fine and need to be sold? because i'll pay like $100 for one

I wouldn't advise getting an Afterburner...they aren't particularly reliable.  Picture the v1 and v2 CF control boxes, but worse in some cases.

Also, keep in mind that shipping costs are going to be through the roof.  Most people would probably want at least $100 for their pad in addition to what it'd cost to ship, so make sure to factor that in as well.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Ridge

• EVERYBODY TO THE MARIACHI TRUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »
Also, avoid the Nexen, each nexen that I have returned and received has had problems.
I shoot your hand with a gun that has bullets.

By gun I mean penis and by bullets I mean semen.

tommy

• Hey, kiddles, wanna see my bone saw?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2008, 07:17:01 PM »
i'm not actually going to buy one though

why would i spend $300 on one fucking game that's ridiculous i could put that towards a wii or a new computer (which is what i'm saving for now) or something

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 07:19:20 PM »
Also, avoid the Nexen, each nexen that I have returned and received has had problems.

I was going to ask about the Nexen since it seems to work with everything.

Ridge

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2008, 04:27:23 AM »
I was going to ask about the Nexen since it seems to work with everything.
Yeah, it's a really good pad when you have it functional, but it just doesn't work. The first Nexen that I had had a loose connector plate, I returned it and received another bs pad that didn't work. Called mymybox last week, "oh ok we'll send another cable", and still nothing. So yeah, avoid it for now.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2008, 09:33:09 AM »
I take it you don't know enough to try fixing it yourself? I wonder how well they work with someone who does have the know-how to fix it and all that...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ridge

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2008, 04:18:56 PM »
I take it you don't know enough to try fixing it yourself? I wonder how well they work with someone who does have the know-how to fix it and all that...
1) Once the connector is loose, there's no way to fix it IIRC. Mymybox had to replace mine.
2)My ps2  cable was defective and mymybox didn't tell me any steps to troubleshoot it or rewire it or anything

im seriously not stupid when it comes to this stuff

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2008, 02:06:20 AM »
I wasn't assuming you were stupid, but not knowing how to fix things kinda nulls any intelligence on your part, aside from simply trying random things.

I could probably re-wire a PS2 cable with almost no effort... I don't know anything about the connector plate though. If I knew how they were constructed, I might have a better idea of whether it's fixable or not.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2008, 02:51:13 AM »
I could probably re-wire a PS2 cable with almost no effort... I don't know anything about the connector plate though. If I knew how they were constructed, I might have a better idea of whether it's fixable or not.

Most of the connectors on pre-seventh generation systems are proprietary.  You could probably hack it together with a bit of soldering (or, at the very least, hack off a wire/connector from another controller and splice it together) but good luck finding the parts that you'd need if something should be bad (i.e. missing contact point, etc).  The PS2 might use standard Molex pins, I'm not too sure.  If it does, sweet.

Thankfully, everything's going to USB and Bluetooth now.  Took long enough*.

*Technically the original Xbox used USB, but the connector was kinda sorta proprietary.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2008, 02:56:43 AM »
Yeah, I mean, soldering is pretty simple. I fixed my old N64's RF adapter that was being used on my Gamecube by soldering the wire back together and wrapping it in electrical tape, then making our own shielding from a bunch of wire stripped from a thing of speaker wire around the solder, and wrapping it all in electrical tape. If I could do that, a PS2 controller isn't much harder, just more soldering, but I don't believe the wire in those is shielded. I'm not sure if they use regular molex pins or not, though, so I don't know about the feasibility of replacing a pin without hacking off the end of another controller.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x