Author Topic: Game depth.  (Read 3330 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Game depth.
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »
Starting a thread due to the ANGRY threads derailment.

Well, Gunz is pretty much the same way, the original mechanics are really simple, but you can make it disgustingly complicated via glitches.

Gunz is really really dependent on those glitches. Most people wouldn't play the game at all if it didn't have BF and wall slashing and all that jazz (I know I wouldn't have).

Well, Wave Dashing was left in because it enhances gameplay. The devs found it and though it should stay. And plus, I play without it, and still find that there is a huge amount of gameplay depth in that game. I mean, it takes quite a bit of learning just to get from a noob to being able to take a lv9 easily, and then, it's a whole 'nother ball game when you team up 2 of them against you. And I still can't do 2 9's and a lower level on top of it. There is a lot of room for gameplay in that, because the mechanics allow for really complicated timing and such. I mean, timing marth's counter attack move just right so that you can catch your opponent when they least expect it takes good timing, because the move has such a slow beginning.

Isn't Wave dashing taken out? I know L canceling is but I'm not 100% sure about wave dashing. Also I don't wave dash at all, but I still think the game has depth. Their isn't long complicated combos or anything but the game is all about timing your attacks. Also I like how you you get knocked down you have an opportunity to catch yourself and reduce the amount of damage you take and time necessary to recover. I honestly think it's much more fun to have to worry about your timing and how you can be taken out from any angle then having to remember long button combinations and when to use them.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Game depth.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »
Yes, the game mechanics are set up nicely, relying on timing, rather than insane combos. That's why I play Cassandra (sp?) in Soul Caliber 2. She's almost completely based on timing her attacks to hit the enemy at the right time.

In any case, I prefer to play Marth in Smash, because of his character mechanics. He's agile, and jumps well. He's not too light, so he doesn't fly like Jigglypuff, and he can deliver some massive hits. He's kinda slow at times, (There's a bit of delay when he begins an attack, and fast characters can take advantage of that) but he's well suited for my style of gameplay. I tend to keep doing small attacks and trying to avoid direct confrontations. I like to slowly do damage by hitting them in air, and I spend most of my time jumping around, or R dodging.

I don't know what you're talking about, wave dashing being taken out? It was left in the game by developers because it improved gameplay for the higher skilled players who could pull it off.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:09:05 PM »
I thought they took out wave dashing because it kind of ruined game balance, and they are trying to make brawl much more balanced (Nerfing Fox, and BEEFING UP KIRBY). I mean the longer recover time characters have for things gave the game more balance, wave dashing kind of throws that away.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »
I wasn't sure what you were talking about with removing it, I was just talking about Melee. I've never played Brawl, considering I don't believe it's out in canada yet, and I don't have a wii.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere it was taken out. L canceling is for sure, so I'm pretty sure Wavedashing would follow. Also it's not out here either.