Author Topic: Emmer Effing Pop-ups  (Read 3585 times)

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
Emmer Effing Pop-ups
« on: January 14, 2008, 01:33:31 AM »
So I just randomly started getting pop-ups on my computer for the first time in years, probably. I have no idea how or why they came, nor am I finding success in getting rid of them.

I wonder how they even got past the virus/spy/adware removal/protection software I have installed. I ran AVG and it found one trojan which was removed, and I also ran Ad-aware which found a few problems, also removing them. AVG's spyware removal found nothing. These are all I've really needed for the past while, and they have done their job quite well. I ran a registry cleaner, as well as a process scanner, neither of which did anything.

My firewall is at least keeping the content from loading on the page, but the IE windows still come up, usually a few at a time.

Does anyone have anymore suggestions for me? I would hate to have to go back to a restore point, because it was about four days ago that this started happening, but I will if needed.

EDIT: Also, if this helps, it has been making my internet connection VERY sluggish. Like, downloading something from Download.com at about 5 Kbps when I'm used to around 250 to 300... Websites seem to be taking longer as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:40:43 AM by Sqthreer! »
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Emmer Effing Pop-ups
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
Oh, wow. Sounds like you have something running in the background. Where there's a trojan, there are likely other programs, since trojans are designed specifically to get other programs on to your computer, I would suggest googling any unrecognized programs from task manager, and seeing if they all check out (using the processes tab). Also, download HijackThis and post your HijackThis log here. If something messed with your registry, I'll be able to see it there.

Also, this might sound kinda stupid, but have you rebooted since removing the stuff? Because Most times, you need to reboot before all that adware removal stuff will have actually worked. They remove the program, but the program may still be running on your computer.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 03:03:41 PM »
Yeah I'm befuddled as to what it could be D:

As for the processes, I used the Uniblue Process Scanner which found nothing :/

I made a HJT log and posted it at the ComputerHope.com forums, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, so I'm following some other steps I was pointed to at the moment. It's just a pain in the ass to have to wait twenty minutes to download a program that supposed to help me.

And yes, I have rebooted quite a few times; I even scanned my computer with the aforementioned scanners in safe mode, and just a tracking cookie was found. Not only that, but I finally broke down today and attempted to revert back to a restore point, which failed, three times, for unknown reasons. So basically, I either have to figure this out, or reformat my brand new hard drive with a fresh installation of Windows -_-

Lame.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 03:41:52 PM »
Yeah, that's a gigantic pain. Only thing I can think of is try to reinstall windodws without actually deleting everything, just tell it to install into the same place and delete the old windows folder, that works for me when I can't seem to get rid of something. And it doesn't require a complete reformat.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x