Author Topic: Weeaboo, the thread.  (Read 131166 times)

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
Re: Weeaboo, the thread.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »
For hentai that I liked for reasons other than "teh lulz of it," I'd like to mention Kite.  It didn't have the usual half-baked, half-assed stories that other hentai ovas do (not that it was a particularly awesome story or anything, but it was slightly surprising that it wasn't the same lame shit like P69 or Bondage Game).

I like Elfen Lied, but they should have waited to make it until the manga was actually complete.  Elfen Lied's anime ending was kind of meh.  I mean, "Lucy maybe kind of sort of dying but mysteriously coming back WHAT" vs "Kaede taking shit from a giant superchild monstar diclonius thing and melting to save Kyota (who mercy kills her at her own request lolz!)."  Also, incest lulz (in the manga ending he has clearly had a child with his cousin).

Also, never heard of Sex Friend.  Is it just as bad as the three I listed in my last post? :D

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 04:28:20 AM »
Well, essentially it's about a boy and a girl who like eachother, and end up having sex at school in the nurse's room a lot. The nurse actually allows it. Then there's some girl who's always in the library who likes the guy, and there are a number of scenes involving both girls, as well as one with the library girl and the nurse.. I mean, the whole thing is more or less just "sex, sex, more sex, and a piece of plot here and there". Hell, it had less real plot than half the other hentai I've seen.

I can't believe you haven't heard of that one, lol.

It's a fun one to watch, but not for the "extreme lulz" aspect, but simply because the whole thing is so out there that i'd never happen, and it's just plain unrealistic. I mean, they have sex in a bathroom at a theater. They went on the premise of doing something together, instead of just fucking all the time...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 01:56:48 AM »
Is Death Note any good? I keep trying to catch episodes on adult swim but I always miss them. Also is Eureka 7, Berzerk, and NGE that good? I've seen parts of both (I liked Berzerk and Eureka 7 over NGE) but I've never finished them.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 02:37:05 AM »
All of those are good. I can't stand dubbed anime, and I think that Death Note's dubbing is actually pretty good (Quite a compliment coming from someone who kinda believes that anime should not be dubbed at all). I haven't seen much, but from what I've hard from my GF (Who's been obsessed with it since the manga was first scanlated), it's pretty good.

I haven't watched much of the TV NGE, but I have seen End of Evangelion, and loved it. Eurika 7 is pretty cool, from the couple episodes I've seen, and same with Berzerk.

I need to actually finish watching more anime...

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 03:39:46 AM »
I only dislike dubs where it seems awkward that they're speaking English. Like, anime that takes place in Japan and revolves around some high school student(s). In Cowboy Bebop, the dub wasn't awkward.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »
Death Note seems so horribly ridiculously dramatic, though. I watched three or four episodes of it on Adult Swim, and couldn't get past the fact that every three seconds Light would be like "HOLY FUX SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE TAKEN A SMALL ACTION I JUST MADE (BY SOME RIDICULOUS LEAP OF IMAGINATION) TO BE PROOF THAT I'M KILLIN' PEOPLE WITH A BOOK HOLY FUX HOLY FUX WHAT DO I DO" inside his head. It basically guaranteed nothing happens in each episode.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 08:37:43 PM »
Well, my beef with dubs is that they wreck so many character's voices. The way I see it, a voice lends to a character's personality. How the voice actor/seiyuu acts the emotions, along with the sound of their voice itself adds a dimension of personality to the character. I've heard quite a few terrible dubs before, and I think the biggest issue with dubbing at the moment is the actual actors they are using to voice the character. Many times, they chose people with inappropriate voices for the character, which make me cringe.

The other aspect is the translation itself. When you dub something, either it turns out like an oldschool kung fu movie, or you have to really rework some dialog to fit properly. Unfortunately, I hate when they change the dialog. I want my anime to be as close to the original as possible, because there are many jokes, idiosyncrasies of the language, and phrases that are hard to translate that usually get garbled and destroyed when they dub things. Hell, on the subject of translations, I hate most official subtitles as well. I don't have that great of a vocabulary in japanese yet, but there are times where I can pick out awkward or bad translations in official subs that most of the time are not present in fansubbed anime. Most fansubs are much more true to the original meaning of the japanese dialog, because they understand it better, they actually care about the translation, and they don't have the corporate crap forcing them to decide if something is too long for someone to read, and such. Most people who watch fansubs regularly can probably read much more subtitle text than someone not used to fansubbed anime, so the fansubbers can make more direct, if longer, translations of dialog without inconveniencing the person watching the anime.

Ultimately, I could care less whether anime gets an official translation, because fan made translations are usually better anyway. Not to mention the fact that people who do something illegal and then aren't willing to own up to that fact bug me. I hate the whole "we'll stop distributing when it gets licensed". Especially if the licensed version sucks ass compared to theirs. And the "support the anime" argument they use is pointless to me too, because all I'm supporting with those DVDs is the company who licensed it, not the company who actually made it (maybe some tiny part goes to them, but not enough to matter, much like buying a CD off amazon barely makes the artist anything).

In a nutshell: I hate licensed anime. Fuck off corporate America, stop fucking up the stuff I like.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 12:10:55 AM »
Required watching:

Welcome to the NHK
Planetes
Scryed
Samurai Champloo
Fighting Spirit/Hajime no Ippo
Haruhi

Out of all of this, I've only seen Samurai Champloo. Also I'd like to add Ghost in the Shell (loved the first season, and the secound was great, even tho the show can be fucking HARD to follow at times, and the movies are pretty good) FL CL, Beck, and of course cowboy bebop.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »
I need stuff to expand my ahneemay folder. All I have right now is Cowboy Bebop and Excel Saga, both of which I've finished.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 01:07:28 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLCL Awesome shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noiseman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_4%C2%B0C Anything by these guys, pretty much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Hina is always fun to watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballad_of_a_Shinigami AKA "Shinigami's Ballad: Momo, The Girl God of Death"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darker_Than_Black (or anything associated with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoko_Kanno)

I'm too tired to URLize this shit. Anyway, those are all good. FLCL, Noiseman, and anything by Studio 4c are all weird, but really good. (It's good to get away from the normal anime sometimes.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 01:20:27 AM »
I loved Elfen Lied. That's about it. Seen a few other animes but they just weren't as good.

I just watched the first 2 episodes, and I can see the Nana's everyday life reference (well, other way around really) so I like it.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 04:14:31 AM »
Not sure what Nana's everyday life is.  It's not related to Mai-Chan's Everyday Life is it? :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »
Warning, it's amazingly depressing when you read the whole thing.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 06:54:45 PM »
lulz duble poast. Well I'm over half way threw Elfen Leid, and is Kouto's cousin hitting on him and making out with him?