Author Topic: Weeaboo, the thread.  (Read 130142 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Weeaboo, the thread.
« Reply #375 on: January 29, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
Also, Bleach is a motherfucking terrible anime. I stopped the instant I saw a filler episode. Fuck that shit.

wait

are you telling me

that there are non-filler episodes of Bleach?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #376 on: January 29, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »
Subs only, dubs ruin the anime SINGLEHANDEDLY.

Well no shit on that one. I've only seen ONE anime that was good dubbed, and that was Desert Punk, because the english dialog is what the japanese dialog should have been.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 30, 2011, 01:12:58 AM »
Well no shit on that one. I've only seen ONE anime that was good dubbed, and that was Desert Punk, because the english dialog is what the japanese dialog should have been.

So I take it you haven't seen Trigun, Bebop, or Black Lagoon? Black Lagoon seems to make the most sense in English, considering they're supposed to be speaking English the entire show.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #378 on: January 30, 2011, 12:30:47 PM »
So I take it you haven't seen Trigun, Bebop, or Black Lagoon? Black Lagoon seems to make the most sense in English, considering they're supposed to be speaking English the entire show.

Haven't seen Trigun or Black lagoon, but I have seen bebop, and while the voices are certainly better than the average dub, I prefer the sub somewhat.

Let's put it this way, with the tiny number of shows that may benefit from being dubbed compared to the rest which are made even worse, I wouldn't care if the foreign DVD market for anime collapsed entirely. I'd still be able to get subbed anime online, and frankly, I'd rather import the japanese release, because then there's a chance some of my money would actually support the companies that made it, rather than some retarded company that basically destroys most anime they release...

So it's kinda hard to argue that dubs are better to me.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

K-Mann

« Reply #379 on: January 30, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
If I have an official DVD of a series (Gonzo box Set of Desert Punk, Bandai set of Cowboy Bebop, Geneon set of Ergo Proxy, etc.) I prefer watching the subs, because usually the producer is able to go over translations and get more of what the translation is supposed to be, across. If I'm watching a animated film (Howl's Moving Castle, Akira, GitS) I like dubs because I feel there is usually so much more going on in the movie that I don't think that I have time to watch subs, and I usually always miss something because I'm still reading something.

If I download a series, I usually try to find one that gives me both. If I don't like one, I have the other. And there is usually a good set for both in one anime (Gungrave sticks out for me; when I downloaded it I had a version that had both excellent subs and dubs).

So usually for me its just a matter of what I'm watching.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #380 on: January 30, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
Ahh, reading speed can definitely affect things. I am a rather fast reader, so I'm never bothered by having to read the subs.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

K-Mann

« Reply #381 on: January 30, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »
Well its not that I read slow, its just that I don't want to have to keep switching back and forth between watching and reading. I'm just worried I will miss something if I have to keep going back and forth

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »
A valid point, it doesn't bother me, but I can see how that can be really irritating. Also, I don't generally include Ghibli films in this discussion because unlike most anime, thanks to the Disney partnership they get real actors to do the voice work, and real actors tend to be much better at voice acting than the people who do most dubs for anime.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #383 on: January 30, 2011, 11:04:47 PM »
Haven't seen Trigun or Black lagoon, but I have seen bebop, and while the voices are certainly better than the average dub, I prefer the sub somewhat.

That's basically how I am with Cowboy Bebop.  The English dub is one of the best dubs I've seen, even now.  It's one of the few shows I can watch in English or Japanese, and enjoy them equally, but for different reasons.  :3
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 10, 2011, 05:34:11 AM »
Anyone still on this site?

I'm wondering if I should watch Darker then Black season 2, baccano, or that one show that I really can't member the name of (had a young girl with some odd sensory power as the main protagonist).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #385 on: July 11, 2011, 06:11:56 AM »
Darker than Black season 2 is a different beast than S1, unfortunately. The writing isn't nearly as good, and it eels pretty thrown together. It does have its moments though, it feels like it goes to more extremes both in the lighthearted area and in the darker stuff.

Don't know about Baccano or whatever the other one your talking about is.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 11, 2011, 06:36:37 AM »
Ah, bummer, might look into it. There's honestly a LOT more western shows I'm interested in, but it seems hard to find sites that even stream them. Also

You haven't seen Trigun? What the hell man, go watch that. Show is fan damn tastic, one of my personal favorites. The protagonist can be annoying but it's great. Also a HUGE fan of Black Lagoon, it does really go hard for shock value but it also deals well with moral issues and has some surprisingly great character development. Plus, it has awesome actions scenes, basically the only thing I've seen balance violence and plot so well. I've been dying for a finished second season.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »
Ahh, yeah I saw part of episode 1 of Trigun... I didn't think I could handle Vash... I may look into it again.

I've recently finished watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica... Awesome show. If you can handle the bits of the Magical Girl genre that did manage to make it in. Completely turns the genre on it's head though, and has beautiful artwork, great music, and a very interesting story.

Watching Steins;Gate right now, and that show is awesome too. The min character is weird, but not too annoyingly so, and it has a really cool execution of their premise, and some amusing characters.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #388 on: August 22, 2011, 06:04:31 PM »
Still need to finish Steins;Gate :/ And Hourou Musuko, and I just started watching Chaos;Head. Seems pretty interesting so far.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 28, 2011, 05:20:41 AM »
Still need to watch Trigun and Black Lagoon nigga. Really, I loved those shows (both have some great character development, Black Lagoon also has a lot of action and shock value).

Also didn't someone here recommend Eden of the East? I remember a bunch of people talking about some great conspiracy show, but I don't exactly remember the name.