Author Topic: My Big Project  (Read 13240 times)

tommy

• Hey, kiddles, wanna see my bone saw?
    • View Profile
Re: My Big Project
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »
Couldn't you just mod WordPress? Basically none of the format of your posts would be automated, but you could just set up some categories and then make some special category pages using the WordPress pages (a page that lists Reviews, that kind of thing).

Hell, I'm bored. I'll probably fuck with WordPress tomorrow.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 05:25:59 AM »
I tend to find game news faster than either Kotaku or Joystiq (which just reposts what Kotaku posts...) and I get a lot of information for all sorts of other things so I could easily help with just about all writing ideas. Hell, I've definitely got the time and the game library to write for.

Or at least I would if it were for console stuff anyway. I usually don't pay much attention to PC stuff ;_;

tommy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 06:37:03 PM »
Now that I'm thinking about it, WordPress would probably be too simple. Joomla could work, but I have had zip experience with it.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 08:23:30 PM »
I tend to find game news faster than either Kotaku or Joystiq (which just reposts what Kotaku posts...)

Hah, what? Kotakus nickname is slowtaku. Also it would be better if it were focused on inde and not so mainstream games (The Witcher, No More Heroes, etc).

tommy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 08:29:53 PM »
Hah, what? Kotakus nickname is slowtaku. Also it would be better if it were focused on inde and not so mainstream games (The Witcher, No More Heroes, etc).

No. These are not indie games. These are very commercial games reviewed by much of the media and extremely popular in gamer communities. The Witcher sold a shitload in Europe, and NMH is published by fucking Ubisoft.

The limit for what I consider "indie" would probably be Introversion Software. They're pretty popular, even with the media, but still make fairly obscure and underground games.

dinnerroll

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 01:00:37 AM »
Well I'll work on getting a site up this weekend if i can come up with a tentative name or something or if I even need one to get web hosting.

Yeah eggman that'd be great if you could help with news. And tommy, help with wordpress would be awesome too. I know nothing about web software.
Quote from: Sharde
They kept pushing me around, and pushing soup and cheese on me, and laughing at me while I was freaking out.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 02:01:03 AM »
The limit for what I consider "indie" would probably be Introversion Software. They're pretty popular, even with the media, but still make fairly obscure and underground games.

I never said they where inde, but the are definitely up and coming cult games that most "gamers" don't really know about. Shit, even my nerd friends wouldn't know about the Witcher or NMH. Which is why I'd like to see something a little more in depth done review wise with them. My problem is I'm muh fuggen broke, and I only own a Wii, so this would vastly impair my reviewing.

tommy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »
I never said they where inde, but the are definitely up and coming cult games that most "gamers" don't really know about. Shit, even my nerd friends wouldn't know about the Witcher or NMH. Which is why I'd like to see something a little more in depth done review wise with them. My problem is I'm muh fuggen broke, and I only own a Wii, so this would vastly impair my reviewing.
http://www.n4g.com/News-81964.aspx

Also, I've been fucking around with Joomla, and the documentation is just godawful. It is seriously the worst documentation I've ever read. I'm trying to install this thing that lets you set up multiple pages at once, but it's not a packaged install file, and I cannot fucking figure out how to install it.

tommy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
Alright I guess in Joomla-speak stable != fucking useable because this is seriously the worst web application I have ever used.

I was going to set it up further, but you know what? Fuck it. Maybe I should just make a custom CMS or some shit. This is fucking horrible stuff.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
I got Joomla working in about 10 minutes. Using an SSH console connection....
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

tommy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
I got Joomla working in about 10 minutes. Using an SSH console connection....

Oh, sure, it installs.

Try actually using it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »
Yeah, its documentation is pretty bad.  I pretty much had to go by ear when I was playing with it.

I didn't really have many problems with the usage, but for a small site it is just excessive.  The way they have the permissions system set up requires you to have to go through a bunch of hoops to do some things.

I might have missed something...who knows.  That's probably why they have huge manuscripts on it, heh.
"This is a machine for making cows."

tommy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 05:36:31 PM »
There really is no light weight CMS though- a middle ground between Joomla and WordPress. You'd pretty much have to make your own.

The guy who does PunBB should make PunCMS next.