Author Topic: dragon quest monsters: joker  (Read 4937 times)

vladgd

dragon quest monsters: joker
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:37:40 AM »
yea i got this one for christmas, and i have about three hours on it.  two of my friends own this, and they are fucking hooked.  but me, i can't seem to get my dudes up to level 10 without falling asleep.

am i doing something wrong?

uhh to note, i beat the original dragon quest monsters game twice, and it is one of my favorite jrpgs (saying a lot from me, as it IS a grindan gaem)

Korremar

• View Profile
Re: dragon quest monsters: joker
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
Beat the hell out of the first one.

Getting Darkdrium is hard. ;-;

vladgd

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:15:15 AM »
this game starts off pretty hard.  im not going anywhere near my first drakdrium till my healer is level 10, minimum.  i think thats the main differance from the first game, theres a good chunk of grinding RIGHT AT THE START, and the first game eased in on itself quite nicely.

anyway, im no closer than i was when i made the thread.   i thought about playing then i decided "whee contra 4 sounds nice" and i did that, now i have dqmj in the ds, turned on the title screen, in sleep mode.  aint got no motivation son!

*edit* motivation arrived, instead of being retarded and leveling the way im supposed too, a friend of mine got me a monster to help grind up my beasties.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 04:08:23 AM by vladgd »

vladgd

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:17:51 AM »
double post

k, i got 3 darkdrium crystals

that monster i received boosted my enjoyment of this game from "UGH I DON't WANT TO PLAY" to "its not too bad"

that said

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU HATE GRINDING AS IT IS NEARLY 70% OF THE ENTIRE GAME

however, if that doesn't bother you, by all means, this is a dragon quest monsters game.

*edit* to be honest, when you get some monsters worth a damn and get the ball rolling, its quite an enjoyable little game.  and if you want a game to keep you busy for a long time, and something you can play on the go (you can save anywhere, thanks to its quicksave function) this works quite well. 

*edit* im on the last island now, and i got myself a boss troll (apparently he dissapears forever if you don't scout him, so save when you get on the island, get to him, if you fail, turn off the power and do it again)

i think i should start breeding stuff to get better monsters, as my healer is only a king slime.  but yea, as i said, after the first rough patch, and you start to get going, its pretty fun.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:56:58 AM by vladgd »

Korremar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 03:06:01 PM »
Ohmigawd the camera design is the worst thing I've ever seen in any game ever and I want to kill myself every 5 minutes. That being said, I'm having fun with the game.

vladgd

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »
i got all 10 crystals, now i guess im going to work up my dudes a bit then dominate some fools.

current party is

level 43 killing machine (s rank)
level 5 (yes 5, just got this bad boy) king cureslime (B rank)
level 18 atlas (hits almost as hard as the killing machine) (s rank)

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »
Is the monster really called a killing machine? wtf.

I have 3 rank A Buffalogres that I use for scouting. All three have attack and defense boost three, one has attack boost two, another has fortify and the last one has sabotage. Works very nicely. I also have a rank B King Cureslime that I switch out with one of my Buffalogres for boss and generally hard fights. I only have 7 darkonium though, working on beating the sun/moon place now. Fun game, I have almost 60 hours into it already, mainly from just grindan and discovering/upgrading monsters through synthesis.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:26:31 PM »
Buffalogres

Thread over. Greatest name ever.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 06:44:01 AM »
Is the monster really called a killing machine? wtf.

hell yes it is ;o

vladgd

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 01:27:20 PM »
reckon ill update

i still have the "high level" monster my friend gave me, now i really don't need him, but until i breed up a replacement, he stays.  working on a zoma, and ill go from there.

level 50 killing machine (s rank)
level 20 demon-at-arms (A rank)
level 39 atlas (now does more damage in a single attack than killing machine) (s rank)

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »
Why are demon-at-armses good, and can you recommend some skills that kick a lot of ass? Primarily I want to know good ways to smite my friends who have this game.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

vladgd

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 08:19:18 AM »
as far as i know, my demon-at-arms kind of sucks.

i need demon-at-arms to breed to get a malroth, and malroth to get zoma.  and somewhere in that process im breeding a kingslime so cleric will be in there, and zoma will be my healer.