Author Topic: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond  (Read 112437 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond
« Reply #315 on: December 13, 2010, 05:01:10 PM »
I was referring more to the fact that you had to have a computer about twice as powerful as the box advertises to run oblivion at a decent speed. (which also applied to morrowind)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #316 on: December 14, 2010, 12:07:15 AM »
I was referring more to the fact that you had to have a computer about twice as powerful as the box advertises to run oblivion at a decent speed. (which also applied to morrowind)

Yeah, you know it's bad when a system that was built two years after the game was released (using components that Bethesda couldn't even dream about and that is capable of rendering Crysis with a silky smooth framerate) had stutters and stops here and there.  I don't even want to talk about the system that I had when the game was released.  The system met almost all of the recommended requirements (the only thing that fell behind was the CPU -- I had a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 when the game recommended a 3.0GHz) and the game was borderline unplayable (and, naturally, OC'ing that CPU to ~3.0GHz made absolutely no difference).

Luckily, it seems like 2010's (well, late 2009 is probably more accurate) hardware fares a bit better.  My current system can manage 1200p with everything maxed out.  Took long enough. ;)
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #317 on: December 14, 2010, 03:53:38 AM »
/envy

But yeah, it really feels like your just getting more and more for how much you pay for a computer. Maybe someday in the near future (next 10-20 years) Buying a computer that's capable of tearing apart the latest game at max settings will cost less than $1000... (Still makes me QQ about computer prices)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #318 on: December 14, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »
I've taken a liking to doing incremental upgrades, so my latest significant upgrade (a motherboard, CPU, and memory swap) cost me around $600-700.  Not bad considering the dramatic increase in computing performance and when you consider that my old set cost as much as that did in early 2008.

Hopefully technologies like PCI-E and SATA remain stable enough that upgrades like that stay practical (so far so good!).  AGP was a big, bloody mess.  Nothing is worse than an expansion slot type that has a number of different slot types and several different voltages that it could run on.  That would be like if there were a varient of PCI that used half the voltage and ran double the speed, but if you were to put an older PCI card in then your system wouldn't boot.  Bad, bad, bad.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
Yeah... I never knew AGP was such a retarded "standard". Glad I moved to a mobo with SATA and PCI-E when I did that old upgrade. But yeah, my brother has a new GT 240, and even though that's not exactly high end, it makes a HUGE difference (I wish my laptop could be upgraded to better graphics without major hardware hacks.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 22, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »
Portal 2

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:26 PM »
Portal 2 as well, I'm actually looking forward to it more and more.

Also Battlefield 3 sounds amazing if they can pull it off properly. The Witcher 2 sounds amazing, a well polished Witcher game might keep me inside for weeks on end. I'm also more then likely going to buy Dawn of War 2 Retribution when it comes out.

I'm also really tempted to pick up a PS3 or a 360. If I can find a dirt cheap one (no way in hell I'm buying a used 360). I want to play MvC3, SSF4AE, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3, and Dark Souls. There's probably a few more I can think of, but this is just off the top of my head.

Also Stacking sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:58:56 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Vinshuka

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 17, 2011, 11:12:31 PM »
I feel a bit childish about this, but I can't wait for new Pokemon. It comes out at the end of my reading week and I'm going play the crap out of it for like two days.

Also I wish to play Portal 2.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 08, 2011, 11:05:40 PM »
http://www.battlefieldo.com/

That bit about all guns having selectable fire modes makes me so happy. I'm just mad about how dumbed down shooters have become, and how specific guns are now known as the 3 round burst gun.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #324 on: March 09, 2011, 01:18:15 AM »
I love the ability to change fire modes in shooters and definitely applaud their decision to go that route.

There's a very good reason why automatic rifles have burst fire settings in real life, and I find it annoying that I'm forced to use some weapons in full auto in semi-realistic (emphasis on "semi") games, especially when no soldier would, in their right mind, ever use said weapons in a fully automatic setting.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 09, 2011, 02:27:13 AM »
You have no idea how LITTLE people actually know that. My friend tried to argue that Call of Duty had realistic weapon spread/spray/whatever and he said that CSS is what it would be like if people had baby arms.

I sometimes hate him, he can be painfully bullheaded and half the time he can be painfully gullible.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #326 on: March 09, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
My friend tried to argue that Call of Duty had realistic weapon spread/spray/whatever and he said that CSS is what it would be like if people had baby arms.

Wow.  Yeah, okay.

I've fired an AR-15 designed for civilian use (i.e. semi-auto only) before.  While I can say that rifles are deadly accurate, even for unexperienced users (I was able to get a reasonably tight spread at 100 yds, and the biggest gun I'd fired before that was a .22 pistol), they definitely do kick.  The stock definitely helps to steady the rifle, but I could imagine the thing going a little crazy if you tried to do more than burst fire with it.

And bullet spread is the least of Call of Duty's issues.  It's probably one of the least balanced shooters in existence.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 14, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »
It really honestly is.

It's sad that it has a lot of guns, yet everyone only seems to use a select few (the FAMAS, the Mac11, the M60, the FAL and maybe a few more).

Also

Looks ok so far, but that everything glowing orange really, REALLY bothers me.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 07, 2011, 10:37:01 PM »

God I hope this game is good. It seems like it could help do the combat in 40K justice (despite the small scale fights, trying to get 40k sized fights into a game would be rather hard). I just hope the melee combat is decent, the shooting looks fairly impressive so far.

and this.

I really hope this turns out well, it looks like there is a ton of practical and purely aesthetic customization. Plus, they evidently delayed it to fix balance issues, so I'm hoping for the best.

So WH40K spess muhreen, Brink, Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, and Portal 2. I think that's almost everything I'm interested in.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:54:55 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 08, 2011, 12:36:10 AM »
Pre-orders for Portal 2 and Mortal Motherfucking Kombat 9 are being DONE RITE NAO! EEEEEEEEEE!