Author Topic: My BSOD froze...  (Read 4400 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
My BSOD froze...
« on: February 22, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »
I think it's a pretty bad sign. I got on the computer after my brother was on, and I see this bright blue screen, but no text at all. Nothing, just a bright blue screen. I reboot, and force my computer to load (by closing shit as they try to load themselves in the background) and closing and re-opening explorer.exe about 3 times before it actually works. I run uptime /s and see this:

Code: [Select]
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

E:\Documents and Settings\Bobbias2.BOBBAS>uptime /s
Uptime Report for: \\BOBBAS

Current OS: Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Uniprocessor Free.
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time

System Events as of 2/22/2008 8:16:33 PM:

Date:      Time:        Event:               Comment:
---------- -----------  -------------------  -----------------------------------

2/22/2008  8:07:58 PM  Boot
 2/22/2008  8:08:04 PM  Bluescreen           STOP 0x00000050

Current System Uptime: 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 8 minute(s), 59 second(s)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since 2/22/2008:

System Availability: 100.0000%
                  Total Uptime: 0d 0h:8m:35s
                Total Downtime: 0d 0h:0m:0s
                 Total Reboots: 1
     Mean Time Between Reboots: 0.01 days
             Total Bluescreens: 1

I'm curious about what could possibly crash a BSOD before the text even got written...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: My BSOD froze...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »
STOP 0x00000050 is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA.

It's generally a driver issue (and since drivers run in kernel space, if they manage to kill enough memory you may not get any text in a BSOD, if your computer even manages to get that far).  If your video drivers committed suicide it might not have been able to change resolutions properly.  I've had that happen several times on my laptop (if I remember correctly, your computer also has an ATI card).  I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens very often.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:54:41 PM »
Alright, I was just kinda scared when that happened, since a BSOD usually has some text. It quite possibly could have been from my video drivers, I have my card OCd a bit, so that could have caused something. I'm pretty used to system instability, but a BSOD with no text kinda scared me a bit.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:24:02 PM »
Honestly, I sort of doubt your video card being OC'd had anything to do with it.  ATI's been making very solid hardware since the Rage 128 but they've been consistently bad on the software end.  Like I said, I've had the same thing happen a few times on my laptop (Call of Duty 4 triggers it, for instance) and I never pushed it past stock (for very obvious reasons).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:36:33 PM »
Well, considering I'm trying to run Oblivion, and some other rather heavy duty (Crysis) games, I'd like to squeeze every bit of performance I can out of it. Unfortunately, I can't use the default ATITool "OC untill errors appear" system, because last time I let it do that my system crashed (no BSOD). As I said, I'm used to running unstable systems, but since I can't do that thing, I've gotta be careful about OCing it. I only have a passive heat sink on the card at the moment as well, so I don't want to overheat it and make my system that much more unstable.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 12:17:36 AM »
Like I said, I doubt your card being OC'ed has anything to do with it.  ATI's drivers just plain suck.  My laptop dies in the exact same way with certain programs (not to mention that I sometimes get graphical corruption in some Windows apps).

Just keep trying different driver versions until you find one that works the best.  That's literally what ATI technical support told me to do at one point (as for nVidia, I don't think I've ever had to roll back their drivers...NV FO' LIFE).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:36:06 AM »
Yeah, I'm much more of an nVidia guy, but at the time, there was nothing as cheap as this, and I was kinda pressed for money. I'm thankful they didn't have an X300 instead of this X550, lol.

But have had BSODs and graphical corruption because of OCing and overheating a card before. (more so overheating though, in that case. The stock fan died.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 01:42:10 AM »
Yeah, the X300 is pretty crap; that's what my laptop has.  It's good for what it is -- just a basic, low-end 3D accelerator -- but given the kinds of games I play, a better GPU would have been nice.

I've had OC-related glitches when I used to overclock my Voodoo2, so I know what you mean.  I'm just saying that I've seen what you described occur on various ATI cards (namely, the 9600 Pro and X600 that I've used at work, and the X300 in my laptop) running at temperatures between 90-120F with stock clock rates, so odds are it's just a driver glitch.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 03:11:06 AM »
Yeah, probably. Hasn't happened since (actually, I haven't bluescreened since, or crashed in any way.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x