Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 589171 times)

vladgd

Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1095 on: March 09, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »
i get home from work, eating pizza while installing ff13's 3 discs on to my HDD.  trying to register on the square thing for the obligatory "spend 20 minutes registering an account for a free ingame item" thing, site is slow as piss, barely get my member account created (like this process took as long as the first disc took to install) and as im about go to into the account to register my code...

SERVER MAINTENANCE FROM NINE TO TEN

fuck you

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:38 PM »
Well that, and generally you don't grind gears unless either your transmission is fucked beyond belief (I've ridden in a car that was that bad), or you suck at changing gears.

it was when I was learning to drive stick, so the later applies.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1097 on: March 09, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
Lol, well, most people take a while to get any good, if thy ever do. I've seen plenty of people who think they can drive stick, but really should never be near a standard car :/ I'm certainly no good at driving stick, lol.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #1098 on: March 10, 2010, 02:05:40 AM »
about 3 hours into ff13 so far, taking a quick internets break, and my eyes need some rest.    i don't plan on spoiling anything because i don't feel like being gay, so it's kind of general stuff ill be talking about.  

pretty easy to predict what people are going to do in cutscenes.  if you have read anything about the game so far, the characters are pretty much that.  meaning lightning is the main character who doesn't talk much and right now is kind of a bitch, snow wants to protect people, hope is the cliche faggot, vanille is the cheerful annoying lady, and sazh is actually pretty level headed and not comic relief as you would assume he would be.  but really only hope bothers me and he should transfer to kingdom hearts(i hate to use an animu example, but think shinji from evangelion), the other characters are fine, so far anyway.  

i don't really get the leveling system yet (you literally can't level for the first two hours of gameplay), so im just filling points into whatever.  say for example, with snow, i have all 3 of his paradigm thingers all maxed out, so i guess i can't advance into level 2 for any of those right yet.  i hear you kind of need to focus early on, but with the way the game is explaining combat...it would seem impossible.  like, you want to switch to all combat bros to get the stagger meter up for high hp people, but you can't do that if you have say only one combat character, a defender, and a healer.  though i mean im not far so it should start making sense, and it's so early i don't think it's possible to screw yourself over at the moment.  

but i mean, the combat is fun, and so far, yeah the game is linear.  but for videogame OCD people like me, that just enhances the game experience, since i know there's nothing i need to look around to get and just to go forward.  and uhh xbox, the load times are fine, the graphics are fine, i can see the possible "lower quality" in some of the non cgi cutscenes, some of that stuff has some artifacts in it, but it's really not too bad.  i mean, i would need to see the ps3 version, but this game runs and looks fine, no need to blow $300.00 on a ps3 just for a slightly prettier experience.  so it's good so far, ill be sure to keep on doing these tldr's as i have the next two days off from work.  

*slowpoke.jpg*

lightning and liara have the same voice actress

:o
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:05:32 AM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 10, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
All of the characters change quite a bit and are really well-developed.

Also, Hope is fucking awesome. He's a kid who understands that he's a kid and that he sucks and can't do anything about it. And his reactions are actually pretty realistic. And he's pretty interesting later on.

vladgd

« Reply #1100 on: March 11, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »
14 hours in, made it to disc 2 some 9ish hours in

run through narrow corridor, fight several battles along the way, get to cutscene

do that enough times to get to a boss fight

this is basically the only thing i have been doing thus far

guess ill make my next post when something new happens

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 11, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »
Alright then, I'll probably get into the next Megaman X game sometime soon, but for now I want to beat a little game called Super Metroid. Also I'm getting damn good at Contra Hard Corps.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 11, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »
I haven't really seen too much in the way of corridors for a while. I just finished up chapter 9, which I'm guessing will be the end of disc 2 since it's a good point for it. Honestly, the whole game is paced so well and the characters are so interesting and the battle system is so fun that complaining about the fact that the game is just giving me that stuff would just be dumb.

Also, I don't know who I want to have in my party anymore because everyone seems to be super useful in at least a few situations so I guess I'll choose based on how much I like the character. I still can't use every role for every character though. Once that happens oh my god there is going to be so much stuff for my characters to learn.

vladgd

« Reply #1103 on: March 12, 2010, 01:12:11 AM »
i just started chapter 9, let's hope i get it over quick so the game will open up a bit.  i mean the same thing over and over is fine...but for 17 hours...uhh...change it up a bit.  

i mean i don't care if areas i go to are just linear corridors, but at least let me choose where to go rather than forcing me down corridor A, with forced character B, and even though i have 4 people in my party, i still don't have the option to select who i want on my team.  

getting a bit irritated.  starting to skip fights just to get to the end faster, especially since some regular enemies have tens of thousands of hitpoints.  i shall see if i can keep on truckin without taking a break to pop in one of the 6 ps1 games i bought last week.  parasite eve is looking pretty good right now.

also funny i did the fight for sazh's summon, and well...the cutscene after...it's like nigga you serious?  pretty cool cutscene though, sazh stays awesome, millie vanillie is quite a bit better now.  

*edit*

yeah im at the part to where

sazh and millie vanillie escaped, did some fightan with them, and then i got control back to the main group

im still going to be awake for a few more hours, but im about done with the game today.  i really do like the leveling system in this game, and i kind of just want it to get to where i can fuck around and grind for no reason other than to level up.  i have a feeling though, with how the "story" and whatnot is going at where im at, that that time may be close.  IE i will assume after this mission is over, i should have all 6 characters available at the same time.  i could be wrong, but i hope that i am not.  

ohh, and playtime is 18h43m
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:27:20 AM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 12, 2010, 05:24:16 AM »
You get everyone together by the end of chapter 9. Then you do chapter 10, which isn't particularly long and then you get to wander around a massive field filled with enemies that will rape you instantly. But you follow along with where the story wants you to go for a bit and you get some nice places to grind out levels, which you'll need because you also get to open up every role for everyone and the nodes all cost 4000-6000 for everything but you'll gain around 2000 per fight. There must be more above where I am though still because I've seen pictures of people with over 9999 HP and I'm pretty sure I would only have around 3000 HP if I maxed out the stuff I have access to.

And there are like 60 something optional hunt missions to do and I could only beat the first one when I got there. The second one just stomped all over me.

K-Mann

« Reply #1105 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »
So you're saying this is worth buying.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 12, 2010, 03:26:33 PM »
I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing considering I hated having to grind in DDS2.

Oh yeah, and I got the secrete time traveling ending in Contra Hard Corps without using a continue. So damn happy.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 12, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »
This really doesn't take that long. Like, aside from some of the bosses, you could go through the story pretty easily without grinding. The optional stuff will require it though since you'll need lots of stuff to sell to use on upgrading your weapons and such.

Either way, I got a bit past where I was before and now I'm fighting fairly easy fights for 3000-5000 CP so I just walk up and down the path once and end up with 25k. And the stat ups I'm getting now are over double what I was getting before so spending a bit of time results in a pretty big change.

vladgd

« Reply #1108 on: March 13, 2010, 03:36:48 AM »
so i fought the boss of chapter 9, the big mech dude.

lightning died, game over.

this wouldn't bother me, if the BOSS FIGHT DIDNT TAKE THIRTY MINUTES OF MY LIFE THAT I AM NOT GETTING BACK.

bosses have so much fucking hitpoints in this game, it's fucking stupid.  it's a literal bore fest that you are forced to pay attention to because if you die, you are re doing the large amount of time it takes to get rid of 10 point five kabillion hitpoints.  

im going to upgrade my weapons and try again, if i die, i quit.  

attack boss, do essentially no damage to it, but attack to build up stagger meter, when staggered, ATTACK ATTACK OHH MY GOD ITS HEALTH BAR IS GOING DOWN...somewhat BUT ITS GOING DOWN AT ALL.  stagger gone, fill up the bar, rinse, repeat.  ohh, but don't take too much time on the boss with half an eternity of hp, because if you take too long it will spam wtfkillyou moves more often.  

im sitting here posting this because i don't want to go back to the game.  ohh well, i guess ill dive right back in.  so goddamn mad right now.

*edit*

here's a quick video of the rage being subdued.

so yeah, that explains it.  uhh, and eggman...you were right on the money when you said disc 3 should be up around after chapter 9.  beat boss, watch cutscenes..."please insert disc 3" and there i am.  

as of this edit, video is not fully processed.  and i will reupload if there is an error as youtube likes giving me.  figure i would post the link now so i don't have this "modify message" tab up in my firefox.

*edit*

ill probably upload later, or never, second error in uploading and i don't want to upload a third time. 

the video basically showed me dealing the finishing blow on the boss, saying i actually upgraded my weapon on lightning, switched out hope/fang for sazh/vanille, haste rocks, GG. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:32:28 AM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 13, 2010, 04:42:09 AM »
I actually didn't think he was that hard. Then again, I had maxed tier one weapons for almost everyone and Lightning had her tier 2 from the Gladius. You just destroy the armor and then have Hope/Sazh buff you until you're all full and you heal while that happens and then you go nuts on him. Hell, you interrupt his ultimate attack if you just keep attacking and sticking close to him results in almost not getting hit.

Anyway, he doesn't even have close to as much HP as some of the stuff I've seen now. The boss I just fought had 2.3 million HP and it only took me about 2 minutes to kill him. And I have 300,000 CP ready to use whenever they give me my next Crystarium upgrade. I'm really looking forward to doing the harder hunts.