Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 588532 times)

vladgd

Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #840 on: November 04, 2009, 09:30:34 PM »
played about two hours of dragon age.  decided apon a dwarven noble warrior.  i almost went commoner, but for fluff, i decided i would enjoy noble more.  after playing the beginning, i do not regret me decision.  also i like how there's no "good/bad" system, just do what you want to do.  thus far im playing the "polite noble who isn't afraid to kill bitches who dishonor him" and well, yeah, it's fun. 

im liking it. 

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 04, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
Don't ever play human noble warrior. It is so far the exact same game as both KOTOR and Mass Effect. I even have Carth in my party. I am not happy with him. The 360 version is really really drab too. The PC version is clearly the better version.

vladgd

« Reply #842 on: November 05, 2009, 12:32:09 AM »
my experience with noble dwarf is good.  i got myself a kickass second (i don't know, guy who works for me as my guard or whatever) voiced by steve blum.  course y'know shit hits the fan, but he's still a bro through all of it. 

also i noticed one of the female dwarves was voiced by that lady you do a few quests for in noveria on mass effect.  strange i notice that since you really only do like three missions for her(talking mass effect, not dragon age) and she is a minor character...

also, from the news about this game, of course the pc version is the better version.  hence me buying it.  no drm either, just a cd key and a disc check.  which is nice because i didn't want to download 20gigs of game from steam.    though it's stupid they included dlc...before the game came out.  i mean, you get a download code to download it, but fuck, just put it on the disc so i didn't have to wait 10 minutes after installing the game to play it.  that and there's a second dlc out, c'mon bioware(more likley EA).  wait until releasing your game before releasing dlc, i know y'all won't sink down to the low levels of what namco is doing, but stop it.

but uhh save for a few minor graphical glitches in a certain part in the beginning (like very minor) it runs pretty good with 1680x1050 resolution and all of the textures maxed with 2x AA (i reckon i could tilt the dial all the way up and go down to increase performance but im too damn lazy to do that and 2x is fine for me) it doesn't feel like the hackjob they did with mass effect pc which was far inferior to the 360 version. 

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 05, 2009, 12:42:18 AM »
Well, I've got Morrigan in my party now and so I'm happy now that I have a permanent busty mage girl to go along with my own self but Alistair/Carth is pretty much worthless. He's a Warrior too, so it's just doubling on classes with me. I really want a rogue to go into my party so I can open locked things. I just like being the person up front doing the damage.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 05, 2009, 02:07:41 AM »
I've watched a stream of the game and I'm still lost as to what is going on in it.

Also I've finally bothered learning how to play Jojo's, and it's a surprisingly easy to play game. Other then that, it's fucking insane. I just had a girl fire what looked like nuts and bolts out of her tits at a dog that could summon a sand monster.

Oh yeah, and ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORAAA.

vladgd

« Reply #845 on: November 05, 2009, 06:01:12 AM »
here's what i got thus far

you are a person who as fate may have it ends up as a grey warden.  these people are basically supposed to be sweet at killing the bad guys (the "darkspawn"), so you go around killing them, and well you know that's the gist of it.  

thus far i am really enjoying the combat.

open door
HOLY SHIT ENEMIES RUN
two melee dudes run at you, you have your melee dudes fight them
three archers back up at the doorway shooting at you
run your mage in their faces casting the area of effect fire spell
run your mage around in circles running away from them so he doesn't die until they eventually start attacking your party who by now are finished with the other melee dudes and are on their asses

8)

even like the standard fights put up a good challenge. not all of them...i mean the "origin story" part of the game is pretty easy(it's the beginning of the game, it should be), but even that has a few tough spots, it's good shit.

like i didn't have any real need for any "aggro" talents, but now that i have a mage (albiet a temp) getting some of those may be helpful 'bout now.  next level fo sho.  but until then, SUPER FUN TIME MAGE RUNNING MICROMANAGEMENT, YEAH! (seriously though, it's fun)

and i guess ill state the most obvious thing ever.  i freaking love talking about games i am currently into.  i mean i don't even care who reads it, it's just fun to type.  it's like after a nice gaming session, i just gotsta spread the love.  

*lol at editing posts as i post them all the time*

my dwarf from roughly an hour ago.  i got his portrait to look kind of "indubitably dear watson" as i think describes it.  something i couldn't do on the 360 version apparently since it doesn't have an "emotion" slider for the portrait maker like the pc version does.  friend of mine was watching his roomate play the 360 version and noticed that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:07:02 AM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 05, 2009, 01:32:15 PM »
I just got Sten in my party and things are definitely looking up. I'm learning that bows are much more powerful than I would have thought. Especially flame arrows. And having two warriors run forward to fight giant bears while I shoot them with flaming arrows and Morrigan throws ice spells at them works pretty damn well. I also have Oathbreaker, which is a pretty neat sword. Hopefully the next area I go to has a neat plotline. I think I might go to the elves first. I still need a rogue to replace Alistair.

vladgd

« Reply #847 on: November 06, 2009, 02:56:30 AM »
/facepalm

seriously

/facepalm

if you don't want to click the image. i was given three options in that dialog.  one of those options in this game which i do not have said dlc will open a window in which to buy the dlc to do that content.  

i can tolerate day one dlc as bullshit as it is.  but keep it the fuck out of my game if i choose not to buy it.  i don't care who you are, or what your opinion on this matter is, that's just low.  

*edit*

yeah, i literally have to just not talk to that npc to avoid having a quest in my quest log that i have to pay real life money to complete. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:08:35 AM by vladgd »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 06, 2009, 04:43:50 AM »
That is a major kick to the balls.

Also Stalker is generally freaky. The whole not knowing where the enemy can come from and the whole added mutants adds some great atmosphere.

ugh, the sounds and movements of this thing just freak me the fuck out. The fact that nights with no moon are damn near pitch black make running into this terrifying.

vladgd

« Reply #849 on: November 06, 2009, 06:48:52 AM »
i deleted my save and i am going to start over again.  goodbye 12 hours of playtime.  

im just going to say that this game's difficulty should not be underestimated.  

*edit*

yeah fuck it.  it's good i deleted my file.  im not one of those people who can "wing it" in one of these games.  it's emphasized in a game of such difficulty, but i really need a FAQ or something.  i mean, play how you want, but i can't have fun by winging it in a game like this.  i HAVE to minmax, or im simply not enjoying myself.  ill pick up the game again when some optimal play information is out.  until then, i guess ill be doing something else.  i just hate being unsure of the actions i am making.  it's like

did i fuck up leveling my character right there?
should i have gone to location x rather than location y?
should i have put that point into combat rather than opening locks?

just stuff like that, and they add up, and when they add up, im not enjoying myself the further i play.  the further i go without deleting my save, the more it sucks when i inevitably do. 

i really do like this game, but im not the kind of person who can play through it blind.  when a game gives me options, my mind is never happy with anything less than what's optimal.  it's like morrowind or oblivion, i can't just play that game normally, i have to know how to become as powerful as i can be.  i hated mass effect the first 7 times i started my game, restarted because i hated my character.  when i found what i enjoyed playing, i could not stop playing that game. 

and you know what, i think im going to do that.  back to the normandy for me. 

ignore the tldr, im just typing it to make me feel better.  hopefully faq's will be out by the time i finish my "final" save for mass effect.  by final, i mean, DO FUCKING EVERYTHING on my second level 60 soldier to use in mass effect 2. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 07:10:26 AM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 06, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
I still don't know how you ended up putting as much time in the game as I did but apparently were nowhere near where I was. I had just finished the storyline with the elves and the first part of the Redcliffe story.

The plot stuff happening no matter what you do is really annoying (I missed Leliana because I didn't go into the tavern in Lothering and now the town is gone), but I just rented the game so really, I'm just passing time with it until Modern Warfare 2 and then Assassin's Creed 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii are out.

I did find all four pieces of the Juggernaut Armor set and I basically can't be hurt. 42 strength and ridiculous defense. And with a special one-handed axe that is on fire and does a ton of extra damage to undead with a chance to slow down movement.

That dlc thing is SO STUPID though. You are totally right on that.

vladgd

« Reply #851 on: November 06, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »
either you rush through the game, or im just obsessive compulsive about not missing ANYTHING. 

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 06, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »
I'm definitely not rushing. I was even making sure to do all of the chanter's board and mage collective quests and the stuff for the guy at the inn.

And now I have superior dragonbone plate armor, which I can't even wear because if I take off my Juggernaut set, I'm not strong enough to wear it haha. Next level. When I can wear it, I'll be immune to fire and have retarded defense. Sten and Zevran are both wearing dragonskin leathers and they're also retardedly powerful. And nothing ever gets near Morrigan because of her ridiculous staff that I bought.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 07, 2009, 12:56:23 AM »