Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 567513 times)

vladgd

Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 03:05:58 PM »
well im not one to care why the game gets harder, its just something to overcome.

i ended up making it to summers to get the monk guy, then stopped playing after getting the monk to level 30 or so, when my party is nearly 15 levels higher than him.

maby when my attention span for jrpg's returns, i may start polishing off these games i start and don't finish.  (ff5, x2, 12, earthbound, emerald, pearl, and non jrpgs like kotor 2, oblivion...i have a HUGE list of unfinished games due to the game getting stale)

maby ill give the 5th gym leader in pearl another whack.  or something easy for my attention span, like some 8 player online dm rankin on ut2k4.

淫蟲

• 我們要有思想改造
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »
the first Quake.  Went through it on normal, and am now doing it on hard before nightmare.

When I first found the nightmare thing, I thought it'd be as hard as nightmare on Doom but is basically just a "very hard" mode. :/

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 05:19:26 PM »
well im not one to care why the game gets harder, its just something to overcome.

i ended up making it to summers to get the monk guy, then stopped playing after getting the monk to level 30 or so, when my party is nearly 15 levels higher than him.

There's an enemy called the "Criminal Caterpillar" (I think. It's one of those types anyway. Looks like a caterpillar) that will give you ridiculous experience and level Poo up to everyone else almost instantly. You don't even have to fight the battle usually. It just dies. This part actually represents the coming together of all of your friends and the overall strength that Poo shows when he appears.

I hate to pick on you like this over and over but honestly, seeing games as just "something to overcome" is a huge problem and is exactly why gamers believe they've become so "jaded." Games are no longer seen as a possiblity for artistic expression (despite the gaming public's outcry that games CAN be art) and have given way to achievement whores and those who are overly competitive. Mulitplayer is now everything so why should they care about why the creator wants them to do things or why something is the way it is. They just want to kill and chat and raise their level and say they beat whatever on such and such difficulty. Story's become secondary, even in RPGs, and I hate that.

Man I really need my own blog to just spout off everything at once just to get it out there. I soapbox too much.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
Haha, yeah. I agree that the story has become secondary. I've been waiting for a long time to get a game that really brings back the oldschool feel. Something hat puts the story before everything else. It doesn't have to be revolutionary in any way whatsoever. I just want a story with a thorough in depth storyline, instead of the crap they make today where it's "oh, we're making an RPG, let's throw together a story real quick so we can discuss how to make this game revolutionary, and amazing."
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
well i am simple minded.  i play games that entertain me, if said game ceases to entertain me, it is worthless.

gaming is entertainment, they are meant to entertain.  some people can get into the artistic stuff, im not one of those people.

as for art, they can make a game fun, and artistic, like rez, i bought that game, i like that game.

ohh and this may rage you a tad, i could care less about story in just about every game i play.  very few exceptions to this, like killer7.

i don't read books, i play games.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:02:23 PM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
Yeah, well, I do both. And I certainly hate it when I end up with multiplayer-craving people tilting the entire gaming universe towards them and then labeling anyone who wants a story as "archaic" and that JRPG's are "oldschool stale" regardless of the title. It's tiring, it's annoying and it's an unbelievably stuck up way of thinking.

I enjoy games that have no point but to get a high score (that's why I'm playing The Club and why I enjoy music games), but there's more to it than that and the vast majority of gamers these days won't accept that at all.

Just because games are artistic, doesn't mean that the majority of them aren't fun. It's not like a bad game is going to get good press just because it's artistic. Usually that ends up going against even more in pro reviews. Usually, great games that do try to do things very different get totally smashed. I've seen so many people that played Bioshock and then cried because it didn't have multiplayer. I mean what the hell why would it have multiplayer? That isn't the point of the game and that isn't what the creator was going for. But no, the average gamer won't even think of that.

It's fine to have different tastes but I've seen way too many people just label entire genres garbage without even trying it out just because they came in on Halo 3 or something or because one singular review says that a game retreads gameplay elements from older games. Aggggh going too long now.

To stay on topic, I'm also playing FF7: Crisis Core. It's like Kingdom Hearts, but not terrible and boring.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 11:50:12 PM »
I was going to respond to that as well ("Yeah, well, I do both." is word for what what I was going to start with). But Eggman, you've explained my thinking better than I could have.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 02:03:55 AM »
Yeah, well, I do both. And I certainly hate it when I end up with multiplayer-craving people tilting the entire gaming universe towards them and then labeling anyone who wants a story as "archaic" and that JRPG's are "oldschool stale" regardless of the title. It's tiring, it's annoying and it's an unbelievably stuck up way of thinking.

Some people just don't like games that aren't twitch orientated, hell, RPGs are mostly menu navigation games, and most of them require very little technique to kill enemies. Mostly why I lost interest in FF12, shit basically forced you to grind and the only fun/hard parts were boss fights. Also multiplayer will stretch out how long you will play a game, story really can't. Also story will often be raped so they can produce another sequel, like god of war. The original was in an era that hasn't been raped to death and had an interesting tragic ending, the GoW2 comes along and instead of Kratos holding the position of god of war against his will forever, he goes against all of the gods (and yet non of them really attack him on the way) and reaches the threads of fate, where instead of saving his family (his ONLY FUCKING MOTIVATION IN THE TWO GAMES, EVEN THO MY FRIEND SAID HE DIDN'T CARE ABOUT HIS FAMILY BECAUSE HE'S A DEMI GOD) he saves the titans and goes after the gods for tricking him. I guess he'd rather have revenge for something he could have easily prevented. Also a lot of people don't even pay attention to the story in games.

It's fine to have different tastes but I've seen way too many people just label entire genres garbage without even trying it out just because they came in on Halo 3 or something or because one singular review says that a game retreads gameplay elements from older games. Aggggh going too long now.

I have friends who do this, it's a fucking shame, you can look at a movie preview (super hero movie, meet the spartans) and know it's going to suck, but looking at a short clip of gameplay footage means nothing. I've had a friend see a video for CoD4 which contained NO FUCKING IN GAME FOOTAGE, and he was like "zomg best game ever". Not that I hate shootans, but christ, you know NOTHING about the game other than it's shinny and has guns. Also (I've already said this, but it's rage time) I've had a friend say God of war was better then God hand, when he's only seen me play God hand for all of 30 minuets, and I say God hand is better having beaten both, yet he still thinks he is right (he also worships halo and thinks it's the best game ever made).

To stay on topic, I'm also playing FF7: Crisis Core. It's like Kingdom Hearts, but not terrible and boring.

Then how is it like Kingdom Hearts?

Oh and instead of a complete derailment, I'm definitely going to pick up NMH, if not tomorrow then the next day.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 02:35:39 AM »
I think this thread needs a split.

It is possible to make a game with a good story that doesn't simply consist of "grind till level x, kill boss y". If you use unique gameplay elements, you can add a lot of strategy into a game. Of course, that takes effort, and most game developers care about "xomg, must have uber grafix!1!!@" than actually improving gameplay.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 03:09:55 AM »
Funny thing. Lost Odyssey, currently existing on the 360, is an RPG with a fanrastic story, no level grinding (because you can't.), a timing-based battle system, an amazing soundtrack and beautiful graphics. Guess how it got reviewed and then subsequently judged? Terribly! Reviews were mostly positive but most reviews mentioned random battles and long cutscenes and so the game gets totally destroyed in sales because that now equates to "archaic garbage" to the average gamer.

I'm still saying, it's completely retarded to pay zero attention if a game presents you with a story. I've actually talked to someone who bought Xenosaga and then sold it because he thought the game sucked because there were too many cutscenes he had to skip, too much text to read and he couldn't use squad tactics in battles.

I swear to god that attitude is WAY more prevalent and it's a sign of fucking civilization dying right here and now.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 04:08:16 AM »
Yep. Just like the mentality that it's ok to type like like a mentally handicapped cat walked on the keyboard just because you're on teh intarnet.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »
Ah, my roommate is like that. He'll make an obvious typo, notice it, but be too lazy to backspace two letters and change it. I pointed out to him that he looks like a 12-year old when he types like that, and he got genuinely angry at me, and I was just like "lol internets".

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »
Ugh, stuff like that really bothers me. The way I see it, your spelling and grammar dictates how you are seen online. The more effort you put into writing in proper english and spelling things properly, the better you will be seen online.

I'm much more willing to listen to someone who has proven that they are intelligent enough to formulate a grammatically correct sentence than someone who's writing looks like the previously mentioned cat walked over their keyboard.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
Meow......?

But yeah, Lost Odyssey is an amazing game. Alot of people from what I heard, are bashing it because it reminds them of Final Fantasy, and all the gameplay is basically the same. Honestly....who gives a fuck? Hands down, another great RPG I really enjoy. And the first where i've not gotten bored with the storyline and skipped cutscenes. Even the "dreams" that he has, i've read them all, and they're awesome.
Overall, 2 newfie thumbs up. **Raises pinky fingers**

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »
My GF and I disagree on what newfie thumbs are. Is it a joke that newfs can't tell their thumbs from their pinkies, or that they've got a beer in each hand (either answer is acceptable to me).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x