Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 582615 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »
Yeah, do I own a GBA? no. I mean for the consoles. GBAs are only somewhat more powerful than the SNES/Genesis era consoles were.

I'm saying that with all the new capabilities of the current generation of hardware, we can make a platformer much better than the SNES era ones. Unfortunately, what everyone hung up on FPS games and everything needing to be amazing graphics and 3D and all this shit, platformers have been left behind. We need some new next-gen platformers.

Hell, look at puzzle games and such. Katamari Damacy is a great example of the next evolution in puzzle games. Simple gameplay, timed levels, all that is very traditional for puzzle games, but if you look at the original puzzle games, like Kicle Cubicle, you can see a HUGE difference. Someone needs to make a new platformer game using the new technology for them to create something completely different than the traditional style. I don't mean turn platformers into first person shooters with awkward controls. I mean take a platform game and band the rules a bit, think up new and unique ways of doing things that were impossible on a SNES/Genesis era console. We can make some awesome 2D graphics for it, too, since the net gen hardware works in much higher resolutions than the SNES/Genesis era consoles did. Why not use that, combined with the much more powerful hardware to make something revolutionary?

That Wario game is definitely a good idea, we just need more people to take the hint and develop some more good platformers. Maybe the new system capabilities combined with the unique abilities of the Wii system will make something even more unique than the new Wario game.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2008, 09:22:48 PM »
Yeah, do I own a GBA? no.

That, uh, doesn't change the fact that the games were made. :/  Just because you don't have the means to play them doesn't mean that they shouldn't be included in this argument.

I'm saying that with all the new capabilities of the current generation of hardware, we can make a platformer much better than the SNES era ones. Unfortunately, what everyone hung up on FPS games and everything needing to be amazing graphics and 3D and all this shit, platformers have been left behind. We need some new next-gen platformers.

They are being made, developers are just targeting portable systems.  Portable systems are ideal for that sort of thing.  Or are games like New Super Mario Bros excluded because they're technically 3D?

Also: Megaman 9.

We can make some awesome 2D graphics for it, too, since the net gen hardware works in much higher resolutions than the SNES/Genesis era consoles did. Why not use that, combined with the much more powerful hardware to make something revolutionary?

You don't need a GeForce 7800GTX to produce fancy effects for a 2D platformer.  Polycount is not an issue with platformers, so you could produce some stunning effects even on low-end platforms like the DS and PSP (especially the latter, given how that system can produce graphics that are nearly PS2-quality in some cases).

Long story short: get a PSP or DS emulator.  That's where platformers are the most marketable and that's where commercial ones are appearing.  Alternatively, check out the indie PC gaming scene.  A lot of quality work gets pumped out of there and is generally all but ignored in favor of EA or Ubisoft's latest shitfest.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »
Man, what the hell. Metroid Prime DOES play more like a platformer. That's why you don't do that much fighting really (aside from MP3, where fighting becomes such an easily accessible action that it's immensely fun), and why most FPS players hate the game. They expect the game to be all action action action when it's really about scouring your surroundings for hidden items and making those tricky jumps.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »
That Wario game is definitely a good idea, we just need more people to take the hint and develop some more good platformers. Maybe the new system capabilities combined with the unique abilities of the Wii system will make something even more unique than the new Wario game.

Seconded, those controls look rather awesome, plus it looks like a god damned cartoon which is amazing. Also I agree with spec, most of the new technology is geared towards poly count and 3D rendering, most of it wouldn't make 2D look that awesome.

How about we settle this and say that each game series is good.

LunarKeys

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2008, 09:54:06 PM »
I am currently finishing Rogue Galaxy. It is...confusing.

The premise for the game is outstanding. The plot ideas are good. The combat system is superb. The bosses are fresh and interesting. There's a neat new system where you can manufacture the next weapons you're going to get in stores.

But I hate it. The dungeons are incredibly long hallways that look EXACTLY THE SAME, the voice acting is hideous, and the way the plot is told is god-awful. Every character in the game has a monologue upon you meeting them, showing you EXACTLY what their personality will be FOR THE REST OF THE GAME. It took me two minutes of one of the characters before I pegged him as 'He's gonna betray us for some stupid-ass reason, then come crawling back when he realizes what a dumbass he's being'. Yep!

Also, the ending fight is retarded. Y'know how almost every RPG's final boss will have at least one more form?

Well, there's that. Then there's another fight. And another. And another. And ANOTHER.

In total, you are fighting TEN FIGHTS IN A ROW to finish the game. No save points, nothing. Not to mention that every single one of these past the first two requires you to use the ONE character the game has specified for you, so god forbid that you don't get good with EVERY character over the course of the game; nevermind the fact that you are only forced to use a single character for TWO fights in the ENTIRE rest of the game...which means every smart gamer will stick to using the main character, who is, of course, the best. The hardest fight is, of course, the last one, and if you fumble and fuck it up, that's it. You're back to two hours of cinema and even more of fighting all that over again. (To the game's credit, you can skip scenes at any point)

ARGH.

Aside from that, I've been playing Viewtiful Joe 2, which is short and sweet. It's not as good as the original, but it's charming and I still think that it's the only game that is corny and knows it, so it plays up the part until you can't help but smile at how silly it's being. Not the greatest of games (about a 7.5/10), but fun and inventive. I hope Capcom finishes the trilogy at some point.

vladgd

« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2008, 12:06:40 AM »
playing in small (maby 30 minutes to an hour) chunks, metroid prime.

i remember this game being bitch, but the reason i quit originally was to collect all of the chozo stuff to summon mecha riddley or whatever, and i guess i got bored doing that.  but uhh, lets beat it this time.

also, unlike the first time i played (back when i really didn't play fps games) i actually had to get used to the controls.  i mean, they work, but fuck, id really enjoy a traditional setup.  anywho, im not very far, just got the morph ball. 

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2008, 02:31:26 AM »
i remember this game being bitch, but the reason i quit originally was to collect all of the chozo stuff to summon mecha riddley or whatever, and i guess i got bored doing that.  but uhh, lets beat it this time.

Hah, I JUST finished doing that today. Yes, that part is a bitch. I just collected the last piece and all I need to do is kick Meta Ridley in the jaw and then kill Metroid Prime (SPOILERS:and inadvertently create dark Samus.)Should be fun, I remember both of those fights being rather challenging.

Also I just beat CoD4, and I must say I rather liked the ending, I just wish they mixed the game play/environments a tiny bit more but whatever, it's still a good game. Also I recently unlocked the M14 in muiltiplayer,thinking I should use it for my new stealth set up (currently using the G3, it kills in one hit with a silencer. That's with bomb squad, UAV jammer, and dead silence equipped). Also I got the .50 cal sniper, which I love to death.

SOO, other then that I've been playin FEAR, doom 95, and Duke Nukem 3D, but I got stuck in Duke 3d...

vladgd

« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2008, 02:43:21 AM »
i just remember shit starts getting quite hard in the phazon mines.  omega pirate sucked, and i hope he isn't as hard as i remember him.  but aint nothing wrong with an actual challenge every once and a while, metroid games usually have hard parts to them(save this one, which has a solid challenge all the way through, save for the beginning).

anyway, beat FEAR, its fun, and short.  i remember beating it in less than 24 hours from the time i started it.  some of the better single player shootan ive played.

vladgd

« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »
im on a double posting spree, YEAH!

status report

game is challenging(the flying space pirates pre flame gun can lay down the pain), but not as hard as i remember.  i recall thardus being a total bitch, and he took me multiple tries to beat.  i try him again, and while he is a challenging fight, i came out with more than an energy tank left over on my first try, not to mention, i don't remember him being as fun as he was.  gatdamn, i almost want to re fight him, good stuff.

so yeah, thardus dead, spider ball get, saved at mah ship, next time, back to the chozo ruins.  not sure if im going to beat it, because im not even at the hard part of the game yet, but whatev, im enjoying it, and i don't need to beat the game to get enjoyment from it.

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2008, 12:19:11 AM »
Oddworld:  Abes Oddysee (DID I mention this game is HARD?!...cause If I didn't...IT'S F*CKING HARD).   :'(

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2008, 02:06:30 AM »
Oddworld:  Abes Oddysee (DID I mention this game is HARD?!...cause If I didn't...IT'S F*CKING HARD).   :'(

It's not that bad, you just really have to be patient. Plus, they added quick saving in the second game, which really helped with the difficulty curve.

vladgd

« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2008, 02:30:53 AM »
power bomb get

FUCK I REMEMBER WHY I CALLED THIS GAME HARD

from the moment you enter the phazon mines, you get a save point right away, cool.  keep advancing from there, to the power bomb, lots of enemies, one elite pirate, and one invisible un lockonable son of a bitch robot guy who takes too many hits for his own good(stand still, aim at where you think he is...shoot, hope you have enough health to kill him before he kills you), get the power bomb...and if you are alive, you can save.  its about an hour from getting from savepoint 1, to savepoint 2.  i specifically remember dying after spending 45 minutes getting there...and quitting for a month because of that when i played this game many years ago. 

thankfully, i haven't died yet, fairly confident that i have the skillz required to beat this game.  anyway, the game is still fun, bitch part and all.  and even though its an old game, i am still amazed on how they nailed the transition from a 2d metroid to a first person 3d metroid, i mean, it feels like a metroid game should feel like. 

blablabla, tomorrow, hopefully a new item! 

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:14 AM »
Remember to dodge.  A lot.

I found that I didn't have to dodge too much until I started getting to that area.  After I started doing that the rest of the game was really easy.  I got through the rest of it without coming close to dying.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2008, 02:43:38 AM »
I haven't played Meteriod Prime in a while but the most annoying boss battle is not prime with the armor but Meta-Riley.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2008, 02:49:30 AM »
Ridley is a problematic boss in pretty much all of the Metroid games.  He's definitely a BAMF.

Meta-Ridley isn't as bad as some of the other ones, though he was a bitch.  I was able to defeat him on my first try (I didn't do that well against the other ones for the most part).