Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 567774 times)

vladgd

Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2008, 03:57:59 AM »
I really despise all the people dismissing it because of the anime art style though.

some people don't like animu

for the topic, i guess id be bionic commando rearmed, and castle crashers. 

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2008, 12:34:52 PM »
Yeah? Well that still doesn't mean the game is bad. People need to get over garbage like that.

I hate the whole gruff badass stereotype but you don't see me denouncing all games with them without playing them like they do over that art style.

K-Mann

« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »
It is a sweet game. I'm at 15 hours now and I'm almost done act 1. I might pick up the book or something because it would be really cool to get some of those accomplishments. Some of them are probably the most time consuming/hardest to get in a game yet, I think. I haven't got the hang of fatal strikes yet, my timing for it is either terrible or I never give myself the window. Got tips?

Yuri is very intriguing, I think he's got the best personality in a game that I've played in a while. I'm kinda not likin' how Flynn seems to have a White Knights code of honor or something shoved in his butt... but it would be awesome to play as him. Also Raven = badass but i hate how hes not nice to me (yet?)

And the art IS awesome.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2008, 03:01:14 PM »
Yeah? Well that still doesn't mean the game is bad. People need to get over garbage like that.

Exactly what I was gonna say.

I haven't played Vesperia, but the Tales games (minus Legendia) all kick ass.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2008, 03:14:42 PM »
what's it matter?  if they don't want to play a jrpg because of the animu artstyle...they don't have to play a jrpg because of the animu artstyle.

OPINIONS MANG, OPINIONS!

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2008, 04:34:31 PM »
Eternal sonata

I threw up so much in my mouth I couldn't play it anymore
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
For most it isn't a matter of opinion at all. It's a matter of total bias, which is different. It's ingrained into the Xbox generation that those "crazy Japaneeeeze" are too weird and that "animu" (god please stop using that) is instantly stupid. It's an unbelievably unfair bias wherein none of the actual people complaining about the games have ever even tried the genre. That is completely ridiculous.

As for tips on fatal strikes, they're still kind of hard for me to always get. Definitely go into strategy and change everyone to Aim under FS though. Your teammates will end up pulling off quite a few. Also, Judith is really really good at putting people into FS for some reason. Overall though, try to time the pressing of R and the direction of it with the timing of your regular strikes or at the very end of an arte if there's time.

And man, what. Eternal Sonata is one of the best RPGs in the last...long while. Maybe if you totally overlooked the entire second story with all the symbolism and what every single character stood for within Chopin's mind, it was kind of a bland story but seriously, how could you miss that? The battle system was awesome too, especially later on when you could totally chain everyone's attacks together and get massive combos. And it was so fucking BEAUTIFUL.

vladgd

« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2008, 06:45:52 PM »
put yourself in the shoes of someone who unlike yourself, doesn't like anime, hard to fathom, i know.

anyway, level 18 red knight for single player, just beat the lava world, surprised i didn't die considering we died on that place a whole lot when playing 3 player.

LIGHTNING BBBZZZAAPPP

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
I don't really like anime that much. I rarely watch anything and haven't for at least a few years. I was watching Le Chevalier D'Eon a few weeks ago but that's about as un-Japanese as anime gets. I just have the ability to actually respect a game for what it is, regardless of art style, as long as it's done well and not just pass sweeping judgments against entire genres based on preconceived notions about graphical stylings pushed on me by the press.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2008, 10:59:05 PM »
I'm playing the entire friggin original Mega Man series.  My signature on Another Forum breaks it down like this:

MEGA MAN GAMES IN ANTICIPATION OF MM9
MM1 ~ MM2 ~ MM3 ~ MM4 ~ MM5 ~ MM6 ~ MM7 ~ MM8
(BEATEN, IN PROGRESS, CARTRIDGE NOT IN POSSESSION)

Yes, I realize that Mega Man 8 wasn't released on a cartridge, lolz.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2008, 01:08:39 AM »
I'm playing the entire friggin original Mega Man series.  My signature on Another Forum breaks it down like this:

MEGA MAN GAMES IN ANTICIPATION OF MM9
MM1 ~ MM2 ~ MM3 ~ MM4 ~ MM5 ~ MM6 ~ MM7 ~ MM8
(BEATEN, IN PROGRESS, CARTRIDGE NOT IN POSSESSION)

Yes, I realize that Mega Man 8 wasn't released on a cartridge, lolz.

You could buy the anniversary collection. I was thinking of doing it, but I lack the money. Also I badly need to replay threw megaman X4, I must have done that like 10 times.

Oh, and I just downloaded Barkley shut up sand jam:gaiden, and possibly Knytt stories.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 01:14:07 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

vladgd

« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2008, 01:31:29 AM »
Oh, and I just downloaded Barkley shut up sand jam:gaiden

not enough people have beaten this game

its actually good, its really funny, it's not really hard or long (took me about 4 hours), and its FREE.  i beat it in a morning a few months back, good way to start the day.

also, when you beat the game, you unlock "victorian steampunk mode"

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #177 on: September 06, 2008, 03:45:25 AM »
put yourself in the shoes of someone who unlike yourself, doesn't like anime, hard to fathom, i know.

As Eggman said, just because someone doesn't like anime doesn't mean they need to unconditionally hate every game that has art based around that. I'm not a fan of Action/Adventure games (Dark Cloud, and all the rest of games like that stuff), but I'm still willing to play them in order to figure out whether I like it or not. Just because I have a personal preference doesn't mean I won't let myself discover an exception to that preference.

And personally, I HATED Dark Cloud (never played number 2). However, I love the Zelda games (more or less, I haven't really played anything past Ocarina of Time, to be honest.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »
wellp, gaming is a form of entertainment.  a thing people invest time in, to receive entertainment from their own free time. 

if i want to skip a jrpg because its a bit too animu for me, ill spend my time on a different game.  it's no different than people skipping viva pinata because its a bit too kiddy, sure the game could be fun, but not everybody has tolerance for this kind of thing, thus lowering the enjoyment they receive.  no enjoyment, no entertainment, best off getting more hours for work.

not to say i won't try genres, i tried to get into sim racers with forza 2, failed.  also tried several times to get into football games with nfl blitz, and madden, failed, but i tried em. 

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2008, 02:29:38 PM »
Trying them's a lot more than what most people do, so you're already ahead of the curve there. What I was getting annoyed by is that people not only dismiss games with art styles they dislike, but they instantly call them garbage, bad games, worthless, whatever. And game sites do a really "great" job of spreading their own biases against certain things, which the brainless masses take and then spread. So eventually, you have entire genres basically blacklisted by a massive group of people and they don't even know why.

I'm still playing Vesperia. 30 hours and not even done with part 2. I can fly around now though.