Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 568152 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »
At the moment, I'm playing Sonic the Hedgehog for the NES. An unlicensed port from the Genesis to the NES.

I've played that, it sucked.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 11, 2008, 05:50:50 AM »
I started playing Pok
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:37:33 AM by annon »

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 11, 2008, 09:15:03 AM »
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Update: 9/28/08--Added expert difficulties for some songs and a hard difficulty
           9/30/08--Changed reasoning for song pack and added a few songs to Not Started
           10/5/08--Finished AA and have keyboard steps in the second parentheses
           10/14/08--Finished Do It Like We Do and working on a few new ones

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #363 on: December 11, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
awesome....how did you get the japanese version??? internet probably but anyway, yeah, katakana, hiragana, and kanji....I understand hiragana very well but I know most games use katakana more so that really stinks if I ever get a game like that....The legendary you get in there is Giratina right?  It's really one of the more useful legends because its ghost/dragon.

Not so much any more. Most older games had space restrictions (SNES is a good example) and Kanji fonts take a LOT of space to store (well, you can cut it down by only including the necessary kanji in the game's font), not to mention more complex text encoding. And it's pointless to include both Hiragana and Katakana without kanji, really. I still don't know why they chose katakana more often. But since most gaming platforms don't have as much of a space restriction as they old systems, they can afford to spend the extra space by just including a default font (usually a font with all the sjis characters).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2008, 07:26:07 PM »
K guys, here's a little bit of advise for the future: minor diversions that relate to the topic are fine.  I'll split them if they need to be split off (in this case, sure...it can be an interesting discussion).  So basically, the PSX discussion was fine until it suddenly became about the site.  Where did that even come from anyway?
* Spectere be puzz'd.

Anyhoo, now for something related to the topic: I started a new game of FF12 yesterday (I'd only gotten an hour or two into it before and it's been a while since I'd played, so I figured I'd start from scratch) and proceeded to die within the first five minutes of gameplay (after watching about two days of constant FMVs) because of a random boss that they decide to use as the second enemy without warning the player that it was out of his league.  Thankfully, there is a way to skip FMVs.

I would have been completely fine with it had it been a tutorial on how to use magic (namely, cure, which I was in the middle of casting when the boss killed me with his long-range attack -- on his second hit on me, no less -- that I was apparently in range of despite being pretty far away from it).  Another way that they could have used the boss without frustrating the player is to have the other fighters help you up or revive you if you were unlucky enough to get knocked down (and possibly advising you to be careful with your targets) rather than giving you a game over screen and forcing you to start over with the lame movement tutorials.  Or, hell, it could be like the first boss in FF7.  You know, one that's actually possible to take out without much danger.  You don't throw a very powerful enemy in immediately after introducing the battle system.  I can't even begin to describe how idiotic the final implementation of that is.

I guess we'll see how the rest of the game goes. :|
"This is a machine for making cows."

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 11, 2008, 09:06:33 PM »
You can lose the first battle in FF12?

I really wish we had gotten the International version of FF12. It had soooooo many improvements. Changed drop rates, what enemies drop what, a FAST FORWARD BUTTON for grinding, unique license boards depending on the job you pick for your characters, new enemies, new items, new everything. The whole thing was just better and rebalanced.

I started Persona 4. Super awesome game. I hope Atlus follows Square with Dragon Quest X and moves over to the Wii. They clearly don't have the money to take advantage of either the 360 or PS3 but the Wii's both cheap and still an improvement over the PS2 in every way.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 11, 2008, 09:52:10 PM »
I'm playing Platinum's ROM. I decided to try it out to see if it's worth buying, and I'm still on the fence.

Although I can pronounce some of what I read (there's very little kanji, as expected of a game targeted at kids), it doesn't change that I can't understand any of it. Whenever I pick up an item, I have to sound out its name, look at where it was placed, look at the display icon, or all of the above before figuring out what it is. With moves, I have to look at the stats to see what it is based on type and attack power (I started with Chimchar and I'm going through without catching anything too unfamiliar).

I also started a game of FF4DS, but I probably won't play too much of it unless I figure out how to fix my DS's L and R buttons.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 11, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »
Anyhoo, now for something related to the topic: I started a new game of FF12 yesterday

Yay, you're back...and screw yaizmat in all his fury...Hell Wyrm is actually really easy to beat.

You don't throw a very powerful enemy in immediately after introducing the battle system.

.....Final Fantasy.....Hard opening battle......FF2 (the real one).......Die!........oh well.  That's pretty much how it is in most cases, take for example Star Ocean III....first battle was ok-ish but after that you're screwed for the opening battles. More examples:

Kingdom Hearts (PS2): Darkside
Silver Surfer (NES): Any Stage
Metal Gear (NES): Punch a guy with a gun...oops dead
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2): Fight at Train Station (easy, but neverending until time runs out, or health below certain point)
And many more.

Also, I would really love to have a copy of the international FFX....why do they not just put this crap in the first mix like they should?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:53:10 PM by Leorina »
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Update: 9/28/08--Added expert difficulties for some songs and a hard difficulty
           9/30/08--Changed reasoning for song pack and added a few songs to Not Started
           10/5/08--Finished AA and have keyboard steps in the second parentheses
           10/14/08--Finished Do It Like We Do and working on a few new ones

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #368 on: December 11, 2008, 11:24:26 PM »
You can lose the first battle in FF12?

I'm sure you technically could if you walked away for a few minutes.

I'm referring to the battle immediately after that, the boss that can do ~60 damage to you per hit.

I really wish we had gotten the International version of FF12. It had soooooo many improvements. Changed drop rates, what enemies drop what, a FAST FORWARD BUTTON for grinding, unique license boards depending on the job you pick for your characters, new enemies, new items, new everything. The whole thing was just better and rebalanced.

Yeah, I heard about that. :(

I take it the Japanese version doesn't have English subtitles or anything like that?
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 11, 2008, 11:41:21 PM »
Has anyone played the new Prince of persia game? I haven't heard much of anything about it and it seems like a nice change from the previous games.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 12, 2008, 12:34:31 AM »
I take it the Japanese version doesn't have English subtitles or anything like that?

It actually has full english voice acting. The menus are all in Japanese though so uh...yeah have fun making gambits or understanding anything at all that's written.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #371 on: December 12, 2008, 01:29:06 AM »

Did it have the original Japanese speech in the FMVs etc.? The burner version I have is an Undub, the way I prefer to play my JRPGs, lol.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 13, 2008, 05:08:13 AM »
Oh god, punching people off of a building in No Mercy as a Tank is awesome. Makes having that smoker glitch his way to a cliff face that kills me completely worth it.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 13, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
TAIKO NO TATSUJIN DII ESSU

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 15, 2008, 02:18:26 AM »
I've been playing alot of Source Engine Based Games:  Team Fortress 2, HL2: Ep. 2, Portal, Zombie Panic (free mod)

I'm getting Oblivion once I'm done with grad school applications to kill alot of time.