Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 567449 times)

vladgd

Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #525 on: July 05, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »
blazblue literally made my break my glasses out of pure rage

im now wearing my old perscription of several years ago

fuck this game

seriously, the amount of skill just to get the basics down is absurd.  and how the fuck am i supposed to do all of this crazy air dash buisness?  do i have to go eagle claw on my stick?  because my thumb in no way or form can go as fast as this game requires.

how do people even recognize what is going on the screen, it's humanly impossible to react to most of the shit going on.  took me long enough to get the hang of "LARIET WHEN HE USES FIREBALL"  "HSEN CHO OVER THE FIREBALL" but this is like instant stuff.  i can't play defense, i can't play offense, i can't play tager because he's beyond playing for a new player when most people play rachel and have enough screen filling crap on screen it's hard to keep her near you. 

i REALLY do not want to spend 6 hours in training mode with one character just to get the hang of this game, most likely i will quit and go back to super turbo, a game where a normal person can see what's going on.

even when i win online it's frustrating, i can't learn from what i did, im frantically trying to defend against all of the attacks as well as mash all the buttons i can to get out of JUGGLEGELGEGLUEGULEGLEUGELUGEGLES where there isn't an indication of how to get out unless you mash buttons, that ontop of the dashing (which tager basically can't fucking do) and getting an offense in, i want to murder the person who said that a new person can get into this game, it's for vets only.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:14:46 PM by vladgd »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 05, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »
Wat? Really, what's bothering you? I can't even play half the characters in SF4 because they have some sort of bullshit input to do for their super or ultra (doing 2 360s or that insane fucking Z input just seems impossible unless you're using a fighting stick).

You should pick it up with time, BUT it would take practice.

vladgd

« Reply #527 on: July 06, 2009, 01:01:30 AM »
i think it's the utter lack of charge characters.  here are characters i really enjoy playing in street fighter, and you will mostly see a pattern in what i enjoy playing.

chun-li
honda
zangief
dee jay
guile
bison
balrog

as you can see, the only non charge character is the 360 grapler, zangief.  i am in no shape way or form decent with "motion" characters.  so put a game with all motion characters in a game which is highly offensive, really fast, and with a bunch of mechanics i haven't encountered (air block, air dash, EVERYBODY has airthrow, EVERYBODY can superjump, double air dash, barrier, instant block, to name a few) and you are basically kicking me off a motorcycle going 100mph on the freeway.

anywho, i am WORKING on getting learned up with litchi, since well, she's pretty fun to play, and i am a man who enjoys bounce.  why else do i own doa2, 3, and 4?  for now, im just fucking around with the beginner difficulty turned on so i can complete stuff (arcade/story stuff)

and i guess guiltily i am enjoying the "tips" section in story mode...so i guess ill go unlock them all.

/v/ tells me you need to go through

noel, carl, ragna/jin, tager, rachel, bang

in that order to unlock them.  you need to watch the previous episode to unlock the next.  example, i beat carl's story (where i bent my glasses, till i set it on easier difficulty) to unlock ep 3, which wasn't available after beating.  so i watched episode 2, and 3 became available.

to end, does guilty gear have charge characters?  if not, fuck that game.  CHARGE > MOTION

on the flip side, i can always play super turbo to build morale.  fucking pissed off a t hawk who BEAT me, then decided i was too annoying to fight a second time and he booked it.  ohh the power of turtling (seriously though, who wants to be next to t hawk, he's like a native american flying zangief)

btw this was on the bonus disc, which i have (did they even sell a normal version, gamestop just handed over the limited edition for the same price) and im surprised the narrator was on there because of his blatantly fake russian accent.

tager buster with the A button
"it also has a lot of range, but does weak american damage"

tager buster with the B button
"the B button tager buster has less range but is much faster and does real soviet damage!"

and is it me or did he fucking combo jin, suck him back in for another combo, and basically kill him?  fapfapfapfap

well whatever

&feature=related

carl.  the last fight he puts a full health bang into a combo.

bang lost 100% of his health in said combo.

to end this editfest of a post im going to state my observation

blazblue seems more of a "GET THAT FUCKER INTO A COMBO" game while street fighter is more of a strategy game which relies more on thinking and less on the muscle memorization of combos.  until i pick a character and stick with it to get said muscle memorization for some bnb combos, i reckon im going to suck for a while.  you have to sympathize with me though, a big combo in sf is like 7-10 hits, that's like too small to be a regular combo in blazblue.

i almost want to say sf is like counterstrike and blazblue is like quake 3. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:55:03 AM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 06, 2009, 03:30:29 PM »
Axl is the only charge character in Guilty Gear. May has a few charge moves too but she has more non-charge moves. Basically, the reason there are very few charge characters is that it's opposite of the idea of using air-dashing. You can't exactly double-tap forward while tapping backwards. Most of those charge moves are only useful during combos, rather than on their own.

Just remember that almost every character has a Gatling combo of A->B->C and then usually some special. It's not all meant to be played out in combos. Try someone like Hakumen. I've seen people win with him with just 6C and air-dash 6C and his D is a counter if you can get it down.

Also, Mike Z's the best Tager player in the country and his tutorial video is a send-up of an old Street Fighter video where there's a really crappy "actor" trying to play the part of each Street Fighter character.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 07, 2009, 12:46:51 AM »
&feature=related

carl.  the last fight he puts a full health bang into a combo.

bang lost 100% of his health in said combo.

to end this editfest of a post im going to state my observation

I'm fairly sure that mid air throw into the dolls attack is part of Carl's infinite, which really worries me about BB. I mean, it seems well balanced for the first game in the series, but still any infinites (lol infinite has no plural) worry me.

That and I keep hearing it's not as good as GG.

Also I REALLY like NeoTokyo. The art style seems like it could be a BIT more original, but the game play is damn fun. It's hard to explain, but it's awesome when you have an organized team to work with. I'm probably going to buy a mic just so I don't feel useless while picking up a ghost.

Also I had an awesome moment. I was behind a teammate on a snow bank and he was shooting someone with a semi automatic rifle. I can see he's taking damage and I try to help him, but I have an SMG and I'm fairly lacking in the range department. So he goes down and I fire a few shots at the guy, he runs out of invisibility and dips back and just barely sticks his head out, during that time I cloak and do the Recon leap while running and he looses track of me. I ended up behind him while he was still scoping the snow bank I was being and end up dropping him quickly. Felt good man.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 07, 2009, 01:20:41 AM »
Carl doesn't have an infinite. It's entirely possible to get out of the clap loop and it takes way too much to set it up anyway so it's really not that useful. It's like Fei-long's infinite in SF4 that only works against Abel and Seth. It's way too situational.

BB is far FAR better balanced than Guilty Gear has ever been.

K-Mann

« Reply #531 on: July 07, 2009, 01:31:19 AM »
Nights in the Nightmare kicks all sorts of ass on the DS. Haven't put this much time into a game on the handheld for a long, long time.

And Prototype, again, is amazing to play. So fun.

Also I my friend is buying me a game for my birthday so what should I get?

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 07, 2009, 01:48:36 AM »

BB is far FAR better balanced than Guilty Gear has ever been.

I'd say it's far to early to make a claim like that.

unless you're referring to the fact that people can combo into an insta kill move...

Also I my friend is buying me a game for my birthday so what should I get?

What platforms dog? Also I'm in the same boat, Wii and PC here.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 07, 2009, 01:53:07 AM »
The game's been in arcades for a while. It's not that hard to make that judgment. And besides, it's not like it's that amazing that they could figure out the balance on the first game of a new series when it still follows the style of one of their own series and they've made so many fighters.

K-Mann

« Reply #534 on: July 07, 2009, 02:19:43 AM »

What platforms dog? Also I'm in the same boat, Wii and PC here.

DS and 360. PC as well, buts its generally only for L4D, stepmans and interweb

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 07, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »
Well, I hear Devil Survivor is good...

Also the only things that really seem to interest me are Prototype, SF4, and Punch-Out.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 07, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »
Devil Survivor is definitely good.

It's a strategy RPG for movement but turns more into Digital Devil Saga for battles, with each person having up to 2 demons to form a party of 3. You then fight in a turn-based fight with "Extra Turns" and everything if you hit their weaknesses or they hit yours. You can buy demons from the demon auction and then fuse them into stronger demons (if your level is high enough to handle the new demon), and you pick a skill for each character to "crack" in battle. If the person you pick kills the demon with that skill, you can then use it for you own.

The story is much more serious than I would have thought, with you meeting up with two friends and then everything within the Yamanote Line in Tokyo shut down and blacked out and you are trying to figure out why. Mix in a cult, vampires, an odd government conspiracy, a battle for the throne of all demons, and a singer who's more than she seems and you have a great story.

Difficulty is fair for the most part, but you can always grind if you feel you need some more levels/skills. I'm actually stuck on a boss, but it's more that my skill setup is dumb and I need one level so that I can put on Null Fire.

K-Mann

« Reply #537 on: July 07, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
That sounds really fun. I'll add that to the list.

Right now I'm thinking Orange Box, Devil Survivor, Halo Wars, or putting it towards Bayonetta or Microsoft points or something.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 07, 2009, 10:36:08 PM »
You don't have the orange box? Nigga wut?

I'd suggest getting the PC version, if only for the new content and custom maps.

Oh and NeoTokyo is fucking awesome. I was playing with Ulti for a couple hours and it was a ton of fun, I'm really starting to get the hang of it (map memorization plays a fairly huge roll in it). Oh and Support is complete torture for new people to the game just because they don't realize that you can see them with the thermal vision.

Oh yeah, and a manual for the game

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/892505/NTS%20Manual/Neotokyo%20Manual.pdf
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:04:32 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

vladgd

« Reply #539 on: July 08, 2009, 06:23:43 AM »
ok i played some blazblue with a friend today, and im STARTING to understand the game, since well we are both of on the same level.  i can fight him and react to his shit as he reacts to mine, and because of that im starting to have fun.

i play tager and he plays jin.  been fun thus far.  he did his FREEZE ME THROW OVER AND OVER shinanigans, then i realized when the exclamation points come up and i execute a throw, it cancels his throw, which now i can do on reaction WHEN i know it's coming.  if it's out of the blue im generally too slow to catch it, but yeah, starting to learn the game and get some VERY basic juggle stuff down.  like attack, down c launcher, down d charge to magnetize as they fall, if they are already magnetized i can suck them in for an air throw, shit like that.  my execution needs work, but the key thing is that im getting basics down.

i wasn't enjoying myself prior, because, well i most likely explained it in my past tldr posts, but i wasn't about to judge the game until i knew what i was doing...which if i play local people enough i should be getting it down.