Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 567672 times)

vladgd

Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #615 on: August 11, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »
so the 360 is like DEAD dead now, now "dead, but it will turn on later maby"

kind of cuts out a lot of stuff to play, so till i blow $200 fucking dollars on a new box, ive had a hankerin for an rpg.

looking at mount and blade, but immediatley know i won't like it, because i don't like mounted combat, and that game is about mounted combat from the looks of things.  i could beat oblivion, but i don't like that game, not going to lie.  might do morrowind as a spellcaster, since well, morrowind is fucking awesome.  but i don't want to go through the trouble of exploiting the leveling system yet again, so ill be neeidng to look for some leveling mod/s for the thing. 

if anybody knows where i can get some morrowind mods(i can find them on my own...BUT WHATEVER POST LINKS ANYWAY) or an rpg to play, id be down.  not looking for jrpg's, ive beaten kotor1/2, don't like fallout 2, beat fallout 1/3...BLABLABLA

maby deus ex...JUST MABY  but im down for suggestions, i just need names so i can go hunting.  it's been a while since ive sunken my teeth into a game i didn't want to stop playing.  (single player...street fighter doesn't count)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 12, 2009, 12:15:57 AM »
What are your PC specs?

vladgd

« Reply #617 on: August 12, 2009, 12:26:23 AM »
not relevant, i can run anything fine

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 12, 2009, 01:50:13 AM »
so the 360 is like DEAD dead now, now "dead, but it will turn on later maby"

kind of cuts out a lot of stuff to play, so till i blow $200 fucking dollars on a new box, ive had a hankerin for an rpg.

looking at mount and blade, but immediatley know i won't like it, because i don't like mounted combat, and that game is about mounted combat from the looks of things.  i could beat oblivion, but i don't like that game, not going to lie.  might do morrowind as a spellcaster, since well, morrowind is fucking awesome.  but i don't want to go through the trouble of exploiting the leveling system yet again, so ill be neeidng to look for some leveling mod/s for the thing. 

if anybody knows where i can get some morrowind mods(i can find them on my own...BUT WHATEVER POST LINKS ANYWAY) or an rpg to play, id be down.  not looking for jrpg's, ive beaten kotor1/2, don't like fallout 2, beat fallout 1/3...BLABLABLA

maby deus ex...JUST MABY  but im down for suggestions, i just need names so i can go hunting.  it's been a while since ive sunken my teeth into a game i didn't want to stop playing.  (single player...street fighter doesn't count)

Ever try The Witcher? Polish-made mostly linear RPG based on a series of Polish fantasy novels (the actual novels are actually starting to come to the US now). Timing-based combat but with multiple combat styles depending on enemies, some spells to change tactics on things and an alchemy system where you create potions/mutagens to give yourself special powers like seeing in the dark. Lots of sidequests but they don't normally involve running all around the world as it's kept pretty close overall and it has a strong story with some major choices you can make that change what path you take/ending you get. Just make sure you get the Enhanced Edition as it runs like a bajillion times better than the original release.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 12, 2009, 01:52:24 AM »
Ever try The Witcher? Polish-made mostly linear RPG based on a series of Polish fantasy novels (the actual novels are actually starting to come to the US now). Timing-based combat but with multiple combat styles depending on enemies, some spells to change tactics on things and an alchemy system where you create potions/mutagens to give yourself special powers like seeing in the dark. Lots of sidequests but they don't normally involve running all around the world as it's kept pretty close overall and it has a strong story with some major choices you can make that change what path you take/ending you get. Just make sure you get the Enhanced Edition as it runs like a bajillion times better than the original release.

I'll second that, The Witcher was pretty badass. D:

vladgd

« Reply #620 on: August 12, 2009, 02:51:41 AM »
i bought it, played for an hour, then let a friend borrow it.  didn't really enjoy the combat...but that doesn't mean i didn't like it, i just also bought something called CIV FUCKING FOUR and that kind of sucked me in for the time.  ill give it another chance when i get it back.

but i downloaded the mount and blade demo...starting to enjoy this sonbitch.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:53:19 AM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 12, 2009, 03:58:04 AM »
I actually pretty heavily dislike the combat but most PC RPG's boil down to click click click move to another guy click click click so I just concentrated on the story. I recommend reading the books too. The first one is sort of a collection of short stories told in chronological order (so it's like a regular book, only each story isn't really totally connected. Just like he's telling someone else the stories) and it covers the story behind the actual opening cutscene (him fighting the Striga and saving what looks to be a princess of some sort). It's a pretty quick read too. Moves at a real nice pace.

vladgd

« Reply #622 on: August 12, 2009, 04:12:42 AM »
well im weird.  morrowind i admit has a shit combat system, and i don't care for the story...but i enjoy the game.  exploring shit, doing quests, finding things, honestly, i love the game for that.

im sure the witcher has a good story, but if i can be some awesome non faggot man ganking dudes with some claymores and a little magic, sure, that's awesome.  but its all about what i want when, i mean, i got civ 4, an amazing game, but i didn't really get into it for a good while after buying it.

anywho, just the demo of mount and blade, its an interesting game worth even downloading the demo and trying out.  will i buy it?  well ill answer that question when im done playing "quick battle"  which has none of the rpg elements of the main game, and i am enjoying.  so i mean...good combat + rpg stuff = hopefully a good game.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #623 on: August 12, 2009, 05:23:08 AM »
Arg. Fallout keeps freezing now :/ This is just stupid. Until I got the quest to go to vault 112, the game ran fine, only crashing when I alt+tabbed. No big deal. Now it seems to like to randomly freeze (as in, looping a small sample of whatever music was playing, and completely freezing.)

This is getting VERY annoying.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #624 on: August 12, 2009, 11:21:08 AM »
maby deus ex...JUST MABY

Yes, Deus Ex.

It's pretty high up on my list of "bestest fps'z evar."
"This is a machine for making cows."

K-Mann

« Reply #625 on: August 12, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
System Shock 2.

Also, is the "hear and now" perk worth it?

Also also, just made it to little lamplight. Gonna find me a Fawkes and wreck some shit. Also, do the nuka cola challenge for some big caps

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #626 on: August 12, 2009, 02:24:02 PM »
System Shock 2.

Mmm, very yes.  I almost forgot about SS2.

Only problem with System Shock is getting it to run properly on newer systems.  I got it running solidly under XP (haven't tried Vista yet) on two computers but it took a bit of fiddling.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 12, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »

Also also, just made it to little lamplight. Gonna find me a Fawkes and wreck some shit. Also, do the nuka cola challenge for some big caps

The hear and now perk is only useful if you don't have the expansions and you're on your final level.

Also if you want you talk talk the other guy into paying you something like twice as many for each bottle.

vladgd

« Reply #628 on: August 12, 2009, 04:42:03 PM »

you spend a perk to level up.  think about that for a second.  you want to level up...to get perks...not get perks to level up.  a complete waste imo.  same with the "you get more exp" perks.  when you are at the level cap, you will regret those decisions, since leveling up isn't really hard in the first place.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 12, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »
So yeah, I'm really not seeing what's supposed to be so great with Gears of War 2. People kept telling me about how the single player was amazing blah blah blah, but it's totally generic and the characters are all the ugliest and dumbest characters I've seen in a long time. Like, seriously, Cole is the worst character in a shooter and they should feel bad for creating him. And dear god the driving/flying segments are SO TERRIBLE.