Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 587959 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1605 on: March 27, 2011, 12:28:01 AM »
Man, I thought MvC2 was ass, and that TvC was boring, but that game sounds awesome. I really hope they balance it out decently, I haven't been following the tourney scene all that well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:34:58 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

K-Mann

« Reply #1606 on: March 27, 2011, 02:04:50 AM »
Also really diggin' the MvC3. Too bad I am so terrible at the game, especially online; I continually get my ass kicked.

Going to have to practice and practice and practice if I want to be able to do anything. But thats part of the fun, learning all the combos and assists and stuff.

Sentinel was the only obviously broken character, and he just had a massive health nerf, meaning all kinds of characters are viable right now!

What do you think of Dante? I hear he has a somewhat broken offence? I'm not good enough to make any sort of judgment about him, but from what I've seen, he looks nigh unstoppable in the hands of an experienced player

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 27, 2011, 03:15:25 AM »
Started playing Freelancer.

Goodbye, next 3 weeks.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 27, 2011, 04:36:08 AM »
The only real complaining I've heard is Sentinel and Phoenix (Phoenix on fire and on anchor Xfactor can down people instantly with basically button mashing from what I've seen).

Also Lead and Gold has some balance issues. Shotguns seem to decimate in close to medium range. It's only a double barreled shotgun, but you can reload it so goddamn fast that missing both shots in a close/medium range fight is rarely an issue. The only thing that could even possibly counter it in that situation is a good gun slinger fanning his had gun, or another shotgun.

This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the amount of health they can cut through or the fact that a LOT of the maps are close to medium range fighting with endless running.

LunarKeys

• View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 27, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »

What do you think of Dante? I hear he has a somewhat broken offence? I'm not good enough to make any sort of judgment about him, but from what I've seen, he looks nigh unstoppable in the hands of an experienced player

Dante has very, very long, flashy combos, but they honestly don't do that much damage. His main power is exploiting people who don't react very quickly - his teleport into jumping S will frequently catch people off guard and can lead into a huge combo for roughly 400-500k damage (unless he X-Factors or tacks on a level 3 hyper combo at the end to kill the player) This can be incredibly obnoxious to play against, certainly, but once you figure out his tricks, he's somewhat predictable. He's still very, very dangerous, certainly, but other characters (Wesker, Amaterasu, Dark Phoenix) are generally considered more so.

Sentinel was broken because of hyper armor (cancels/overrides numerous other moves during his own attacks, meaning someone can rush him and he can just hit a button to start a combo and kill them anyway), having some of the best zoning in the game, the best assist in the game, the highest HP in the game, the highest raw power (outside of Dark Phoenix) in the game, normals did damage even when the opponent was blocking, and incredibly simple combos that killed off every character in two combos (or several in one!) Also, his level 3 X-Factor added 230% to his damage, allowing unskilled players to simply save him for last, then decimating the entire enemy team in one go. He showed up in almost every team because there was almost zero reason not to play him - either you were good enough to play one of his counters (almost all very low-HP characters that died if you made a single mistake) or out of sheer stubbornness. I wish the nerf had significantly lowered his damage instead of his HP because scrubs can still abuse him and kill your entire team if you're not incredibly careful, but oh well, some progress is better than no progress.

Phoenix is, admittedly, cheese. I'm grateful that most of the people that gravitate towards her for the same reason they went to Sentinel - the moment Dark Phoenix comes out, they throw on X-Factor and start spamming madly, and, well, usually, that's enough to kill any opponent. However, she's made of paper. Best tactic is to snap her in the moment you see she's on a team, then all it takes is one combo. Use ANYTHING to get rid of her - if your combo falls short, use up your own X-Factor, then finish her off that way. Use hyper combos, delayed hyper combos...chip her to death if need be, it's more than a little feasible.

If all else fails, kill the rest of her team, poke Phoenix until she has almost no health, then run out the clock. :3

If Phoenix does turn into Dark Phoenix, remember these:

- You almost certainly cannot run away, because her teleport is the best in the game.
- Blocking won't do you much because she's so insanely fast that, more than likely a scrub using her will inadvertently hit low when you're blocking high or vice versa.
- You do not have priority. You can use any super and she can respond with Phoenix Rage which will (unless you're at full health on a high-health character) override your super and kill you.
- The best way to snag her is any time she is spamming projectiles. Pushblock/Advancing Guard during one of her up-close encounters or wait until she's using her dual-TK shot to use a beam or full-screen super, then X-Factor and do it again. If you don't have X-Factor, try to land anything that has invincibility (Viewtiful Joe's Mach Speed, Captain America's Hyper Charging Star, X-23's Weapon X Prime...check out Shoryuken's Hyper Guide for other information on that front) and lets you continue the combo onwards. If you can't kill her in one combo...well, you're gonna need to wait until she makes a mistake. Most likely, you won't be playing against anyone who really knows how to use Phoenix, so you'll be fine waiting her out. Many new players (justifiably!) freak out when they see Dark Phoenix and make mistakes that let her kill you off before you can blink. You have to stay calm.

K-Mann

« Reply #1610 on: March 27, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »
That Pheonix stuff makes an eerie sort of sense. I fought a Pheonix user a couple times last night and he always kept her at the back of the pack until I hurt him enough for him to max out his hyper. Then he raped me. I'm a real scrub at the game though, so I'm not expecting to win anything right now (not to be confused with not trying, because I AM trying).

I know Ammy is a sick fighter to have but I don't think I'll keep her on the team until I get used to switching her weapons. I would like to see a replay mode to watch other people use their Ammy's; it would be a great way to learn.

LK, do you feel like teaching a noob? I'm on the 360, just incase

LunarKeys

• View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 27, 2011, 12:47:17 PM »
I don't know how to use Ammy's Glaive right now, and I'm still really scary with her. Her Reflector combo (L->M->H five times-> launch->Mx2->Hx3) hits for insanely good damage just by itself, and she can zone very well with the beads and Power Slash. But yeah, the problem is that she's not very strong stuff, so it only takes a combo or two to down her.

Phoenix is really hard to deal with, don't get me wrong. That's why newbies use her - all you need to do is stall with your first two characters, then just...demolish the opponent's team with Phoenix. One of the things I've noticed as I'm ranking up is that I generally clobber people that abuse Sentinel or Phoenix, because if you snap them in and kill them, then the rest of their team immediately falls apart. I'm a lot more scared of people who abuse other characters that are crazy good with level 3 X-Factor (Dormammu, Akuma, Ryu, etc.)

Anyway! I'm on 360 right now. My Live gamertag is LunarKeys. Feel free to add me, and I can help you out!

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 07, 2011, 05:07:33 AM »
Okay okay okay so I got into the Black Prophecy closed beta, holy shit. This game is like Freelancer: the MMO. The only thing stopping me from quitting sleep entirely is the fact that I stop getting as much exp for quests if I play too much ;o;

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 07, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »
Haha, an MMO that punishes you for getting addicted. About time someone made one of those.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 07, 2011, 03:14:16 PM »
I know wow has an incentive for stopping (the whole well rested thing) and I belive the new FF online stops giving you EXP after a while.

Also I really want to start playing GTA3 now. I was never that into the games, but looking up the stuff for GTA3 gives me a lot of nostalgia somehow.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1615 on: April 07, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
I wouldn't call the well rested exp increase system an incentive.  It takes quite a long time to build it up and, especially early on, it goes very, very quickly.

There was actually a multiple-stage rested XP system in the WoW beta, but it was axed and replaced with the current system due to people despising it.  The system exists in the Chinese version of WoW and kicks in after so many hours of play.  The first step cuts your experience gained in half and the second step cuts it completely and I believe also prevents you from turning in quests.

Edit: FERGOT SOMETHIN'

Also I really want to start playing GTA3 now. I was never that into the games, but looking up the stuff for GTA3 gives me a lot of nostalgia somehow.

I actually played GTA3 about six months-ish ago for a quick nostalgia trip.  I love the format of the game, but the cars definitely feel a lot worse than any of the later games.  The way they handle feels kind of slippery.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:26:00 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 09, 2011, 05:06:03 AM »
Someone on my steam list bought me Dino D-day, and I must say it's rather fun and has a decent amount of depth (I'm still figuring some stuff out, but I'm slightly drunk).

Also I cannot figure out why my server browser is broken.

Anyone here Play Company of Heroes, Men of War, or Rainbow 6 3? I'm really tempted to get into them, but I'll probably wait due to all the shit I already have on my plate.

Shit, I already spent some money.

Bought the indie bundle pack (http://www.humblebundle.com/) and I bought Magicka with Vietnam for 8 bucks. Goddamn deals man.

I cannot map any buttons to zoom in on GTA3, and I can't figure out why.

Also I'm really tempted to skip ahead to one of the newer GTAs, because GTA3 feels really dated and basic at this point. I'm still enjoying it and I'm not sure which game I should play next, so I'll stick with it for now.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:10:45 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1617 on: April 16, 2011, 02:59:39 AM »
I played CoD: Black Ops online for the first time today.  I'm kind of impressed that it actually allows you to play split-screen games on Live.

I still think that perks are kind of a dumb idea (LET'S REWARD THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T NEED HELP LOLOL), but they feel strangely more balanced than any of the Infinity Ward games.  I appreciate how Treyarch made an attempt to make the series evolve and transcend the older titles instead of doing what IW does best -- rehash their games every two years.

I can't tolerate about a quarter of the maps in the game.  That's still far better than my hated map count for CoD4, though.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 16, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
...really? I can agree that most of Black Ops maps are rather lack luster (the fact that Nuketown is popular is sad). I honestly liked a lot of the CoD4 maps, despite being small and not well balanced (Backlot was fairly shit for that bomb running map. One side had a huge open bomb site and the others was a straight run that was hard as hell to get through). Wet work, Shipment, Showdown, Bog and Killhouse (fucking terrible map, all cover is easily shot through, map is tiny, no real need to move) are rather bad maps, but everything else is either passing or fun (I can't remember map names either, so http://www.cod4central.com/cod4-maps-menu.php).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1619 on: April 16, 2011, 03:30:19 PM »
The main problem that I had with CoD4's maps is that some of them catered to snipers to the extent that any other class that you picked would automatically be at a royal disadvantage.  I remember Pipeline being a notable offender of this.  If you didn't pick a recon class, you'd be hard-pressed to go into any outside areas without getting picked off.  There was plenty of foliage on a tall ledge for snipers to lie prone in, and unless you ran into a really bad sniper or went crazy with the grenade launcher, odds are you were going to die if you tried going from building to building without using the underground passages.  When you have an amazing sniper spot with only one viable path to it (the other way is right up the fucking middle, which doesn't work), your mapping teams need slapped with a rolled up newspaper.

That kind of map design works extremely well for games like Battlefield, where maps are large, sprawling battlefields with an infinite number of ways to run behind the aforementioned sniper and slice his/her throat.  In a tight, fast-paced game like CoD, on the other hand, that design doesn't work well.

That being said, the urban-style maps were all absolutely top-notch.  I have no complaints about any of them.  Every single loadout is equally usable, there is plenty of cover, and the game doesn't lose its fast pace.