Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 587704 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1650 on: July 20, 2011, 10:39:09 PM »
Bought and beat Zeno Clash, game was surprisingly enjoyable and well worth the sale price.

Also I saw that Breath of Death and Cthulu saves the world were on sale as a pack, so I bought them. Seems odd to be playing a game that's a homage to old school RPGs when I have a limtied history with RPGs (will get Chrono Trigger, probably pretty soon considering I'm not really playing much). Oh god, Cthulu Saves the World is a lot of fun, already went through the first two dungeons and did a minor side mission, shit was fun.

also two more thins, anyone know of any good SA mods? and Space Marine multiplayer looks like fun

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/20/space-marine-multiplayer-video-preview?objectid=14352257
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:53:52 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: August 04, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
bought the humble indie bundle and Machinirum won't run right. I can hear it running from the sounds, but it's frame-rate goes from normal to nothing quickly.

Also yeah, buy the bundle. For 5+ bucks you get at least 6 or 7 rather awesome games.

I also picked up New Vegas, got addicted to the game quickly. Really enjoying it despite all its blatant flaws, feels like they tried to improve over all the problems FO3 had (well, SOME of them, enemies and humans seem more diverse, and there seems to be a pretty awesome amount of weapons added).

Can't stop playing Revenge of the Titans. It's a fairly simple tower defense game at the start, but it gets increasingly harder and the tech tree for it is massive. I've never been huge into tower defense games, but this one feels more like an RTS with strictly base defense systems then an actual tower defense game.

Okay, Arkham Asylum is making me rage. I really like the game, but I keep getting into these dumb fights that are nothing but me getting circled and being unable to dodge or hit them most of the time. That and they DON'T STAY DOWN.

Fuckin BAM, got Deus Ex for 30-ish bucks. Really digging it so far, some things feel a bit odd (glad that take downs use energy) and considering how quickly you die in dues ex mode I really don't mind the health regen.

My only complaint so far is some slightly wonky AI.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:19:21 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: August 28, 2011, 03:41:26 AM »
Minecraft. I got it in May, didn't really start playing it until about June, didn't start messing with Redstone until about a month ago, and didn't start getting into more complicated Redstone until about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm working on a digital clock.

I've built the display, the decoders, and the hours counter, so all that's left is the minutes counter and the clock generator.

The display. I decided I wanted to make a clock entirely out of wood in the middle of a forest. The display uses pine and oak logs, and all other structures are built using wood planks.

Behind the display. For the minutes, each digit has its own 7-segment decoder and each will have its own counter. For the hours, there's only one 9-segment decoder hooked up to one counter. I decided this would be easier than making two decoders, since the tens digit in the hours only ever makes a 1, and it's only used for 3 hours. The other segments in the tens place are always inactive.

The hours counter underneath the hours decoder. Originally I used a relatively simple counter which used a minecart track, but I soon got really frustrated because animals kept jumping on the track and in the cart, which would fuck up the count and it would take forever to fix it. It took a while to figure out, but I came up with this counter which uses pistons. Each time it receives a pulse, either one piston turns on, or if all of the pistons are on, all of them turn off. By receiving a pulse every hour, the counter cycles through 12 states every 12 hours, with each state corresponding to which number is displayed. It's much more reliable and much easier to reset if it does somehow screw up.

This has been a really fun project, and it makes me wish I'd gotten into digital circuitry sooner.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:39:56 AM by annon »

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1653 on: August 28, 2011, 03:58:49 AM »
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Wow.  I'm really impressed so far. :o
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: August 28, 2011, 05:05:59 AM »
minecraftan

Saw that on facebook, I'm impressed you can do that much in the actual game.

Also Spectere, same here. I'm really loving the game and the characters in it are genuinely interesting.

Plus, this game has the best "morality" system ever. There is no gauge for it, but other characters will interact with you different depending on what you do. Also doing the "right" thing is usually pretty hard and will usually end up costing you (there was this large criminal who offered to pay me big to let him go, also this other crime syndicate had me either shake down a lady for the money she "owed" them or pay them out of my pocket).

So yeah, if you mess up the game makes you feel like a massive asshole, and being the softie that I am I'm trying my hardest to be the good guy.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1655 on: August 28, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »
So yeah, if you mess up the game makes you feel like a massive asshole, and being the softie that I am I'm trying my hardest to be the good guy.

Oh yes.  I have a feeling I'm going to be able to effectively play through the game multiple times.

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed this, but in many cases the dialog trees are not static.  If you save before one of those interrogation-like sequences, and go through it multiple times, the outcome will be different.  The character won't necessarily say the same things or even behave the same way.  It's pretty awesome.

I also love how using some of your augs to solve problems -- particularly the pheromones -- can actually make the situation worse.  Very nice touch.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: August 28, 2011, 03:42:28 PM »
Hah, yeah, as soon as I got it I used it on Malik and she got pissed.

I'm honestly really enjoying the conversation system, it's definitely a step up over ME/2s. ALMOST as good as the Witcher 2s, but honestly that game made me make some drastic decisions.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1657 on: August 28, 2011, 06:15:41 PM »
Indeedy.  I like how you can actually see what Adam is going to say when you highlight a conversation option.  It's really a pain in ME1/2 when you select an option that appears to be what you want, then Shepard says something mindnumbingly stupid instead that completely undermines what you planned to do.  Not to mention the black and white morality system that ME1/2 had.

I do have to disagree with the inclusion of the "silver tongue" experience bonus in DX:HR, though.  Getting that signifies that you made the most ideal set of choices, which I feel undermines the entire system.

Edit: Pretty sure I found a reproducible crash to desktop bug in DX:HR.  If you jump on a particular car just outside of an alley near the Derelict Row Ballers turf, the game crashes.  I'll have to play around with that and report it (if nobody else did) if I narrow it down to that.

Edit 2: Is it just me, or does Beat Hazard Ultra kind of suck?  It tacks on a ton of annoying enemies without addressing some of the numerous problems that the original game had.

It still has a nasty tendency of generating tons of enemies on some quiet songs, giving you a swarm of enemies with absolutely no way of dealing with them.  It gimps the weapon power way too much during quiet sections.  And it tends to clusterfuck the screen during boss fights.

The last point wasn't bad at all in the first one, but considering some of the bosses in Ultra take up most of the screen, it quickly becomes a huge issue and can make some situations literally impossible to get out of.

Also, I'm pretty sure they nerfed the super bomb...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:29:35 AM by Spectere »

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: September 01, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »
Playing Diablo 2 some more...I some how got my room mate hooked on it xD

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1659 on: September 01, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »
Have you tried Torchlight?  If you love Diablo 2, you're sure to love Torchlight (and it's cheap, too!).

Torchlight is more of a solo experience, but the sequel is going to have multiplayer support.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: September 10, 2011, 05:23:27 AM »
Hey, quick question, anyone here play Advent Rising? I'm interested in it since I realized how mediocre Psi-ops is.

Also anyone here play League of Legends? I started up but I evidently need to study in order to play.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:49:42 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: September 18, 2011, 01:57:30 AM »
Well, I made a digital clock in Minecraft 3 weeks ago, and since then I've learned a thing or two about computer architecture. This is my latest project:

It's a 16-bit CPU. It doesn't have a clock, but I'm guessing without any memory instructions it could probably make a clock cycle every 4 seconds. It's got 2 registers, a program counter with conditional jumps implemented, it adds, subtracts, increments, does bitwise logical operations, and is designed to use the same memory for instructions and data. The blue thing in the top right of the first image is a 32-byte block of RAM.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:45:41 AM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1662 on: September 18, 2011, 03:46:57 AM »
Ooh, very nice job!  How fast is it? :p

Did you use any tools to help you lay everything out, or just graph paper, creative mode, and a lot of patience?

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: September 18, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »
Actually, because of how it's layered, graph paper wouldn't be a huge help. Since I was in creative, there wasn't much of a distinction between designing and building. Essentially I'd work out the design for a component, build it 1 to 3 bits wide by hand with an expandable design, go into MCEdit, extend it to 16 bits, and go back to creative to test it until it worked. Once I had all the components, I went into MCEdit and put them near each other, then connected them by hand in creative.

I'm not entirely sure how fast it is, since I'm holding off designing the clock until the memory is implemented, but I'm guessing somewhere around 200-250 mHz as is.

And if you're curious, I built it using the specifications in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Computing-Systems-Building-Principles/dp/0262640686/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316354352&sr=8-1

It's great, building a complex machine like this taught me how computer hardware translates binary code into actions, and I have to say this has been more fun and satisfying than every programming project I've ever done. Makes me wonder why I waited until now to check out computer engineering.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:29:59 AM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: September 18, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
You really need to make a video of that in action, or have a few pictures showing the finer points, unsure if anything of this scale has been done in Minecraft.