Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 587162 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1695 on: October 27, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »
Right, it was a 48mbit cart, not 32. Yeah, that game was retarded, and was also one of the last games made playable in emulation, thanks t having to completely reverse engineer the decompression chip.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: October 27, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »
So I'm worried about running BF3 well considering someone said they couldn't get a smooth frame rate on low with their 5750
and I only have a HD 5830, but the system requirements website says my card passes minimum specs (my only shortcoming being my OS).

So any advice?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1697 on: October 27, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »
So I'm worried about running BF3 well considering someone said they couldn't get a smooth frame rate on low with their 5750
and I only have a HD 5830, but the system requirements website says my card passes minimum specs (my only shortcoming being my OS).

So any advice?

Don't listen to people on the Internet when it comes to advice on how video games perform.  I've found all too often that they try to push an old card too hard, wind up with major slowdowns, and then wonder why.

My advice would be to upgrade to the latest drivers and set the quality to a sane, but appealing, level.  The HD 5830 is still a high-end card, even if it from the last generation.  DICE would not neglect testing the game on a commonly used card like that, especially a competitive shooter.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: October 27, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
I usually don't (I was playing CS:S with some guys and they said something about needing at least 8 gigs of ram and 1000 FPS to play a game properly, I wasn't sure if they were trolling or dumb honestly) but I figured I'd run this by you anyways. At least the Witcher 2 runs well on this card on medium, so I have some faith in it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1699 on: October 27, 2011, 11:45:22 PM »
Not sure if I'd go with trolling as much as exaggerating.  Considering BF3 is designed for consoles with 512MB of RAM shared between the GPU and system, I can't see them drastically increasing the detail on the PC version.

I think you'll do just fine on medium or even high, depending on what resolution you want to use.  I have the same card and am still hard pressed to find any game that doesn't run decently and still look great (DX:HR puts a bit of stress on it, but I run it at 1680x1050 with the settings a few steps down from maxed; the card slaughters everything else I've thrown at it.

And, again, it's only one generation behind.  Hardware obsoletes fairly quickly in the PC gaming world, but not that quickly.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: November 01, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »
Welp, finally decided to beat Megaman X2, god that final fight was disappointing. Now when I beat X3 I will have beaten X thorough X6, which makes me happy.

It's odd, but I'm happy when I have like 5 or 6 games to play through, but I really would like to finish most of them. 

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »
So I tried playing Stepmania today for the first time in like a year. I forgot how much of a bitch DTM's Fury of the Storm is.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1702 on: November 03, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »
Yeah, jackhammers are pretty lousy when you haven't played for a while.

I find it hilarious how low my scores are now.  I played Eggman's One More Lovely standard chart.  I managed to full combo it, but with something like 100 perfects and 20 greats.  I used to get ~16 perfects on it. xD  My timing is still reasonable, but my, um, wrist stamina sucks.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1703 on: November 03, 2011, 04:03:55 AM »
My stamina is absolutely GARBAGE, but somehow my accuracy is actually pretty good. Maybe not as good as it should be on some of th harder stuff, but on the more reasonable stuff I can actually get better scores than I used to be able to (when my wrist doesn't fail me and die in the middle of the song).

Also, if you guys want a different music game to try, sometime you should check out http://Osu.ppy.sh

I have no idea how the site hasn't been shut down for illegally hosting craptons of music, but either way, the game's pretty fun. It's an Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan clone for the computer.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1704 on: November 03, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »
I've played plenty of osu!.  Maybe it's because I'm a snob, but I can't stand playing it with the mouse.  I've played it on my iPod touch when it was jailbroken (the only reason I un-jailbroke it was because I realized that osu! was the only jailbroken app that I actually used) and had a blast with it.  If I were to get a tablet PC I would definitely play it more, but until then I'm just going to stick with EBA.

I have been getting into ReRave.  It's a pretty solid EBA clone for iOS (and eventually Android, and the arcade).  LunarKeys showed it to me last time I saw him and I've been hooked ever since. <_<  That and Jukebeat are seriously making me want an iPad again.  Dammit...

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1705 on: November 04, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »
Ahh, I've been playing a lot lately, but all Z/X and Mouse. I'm ranked about 10,200 or so right now, and slowly getting better.

I never actually played EBA/Ouendan, but I stumbled upon Osu and loved it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: November 16, 2011, 04:25:44 AM »
Aright, beat the Witcher 2 again (took the Iorveth path, as well as some other different decisions) and I'm pretty unsure on what final save I should keep. Major spoilers.

With Iorveth you end up having the Pontar Valley free, and now Saskia is alive and able to rule over it, as well as the south having one less dead king (Henselt). With Vernon, Henselt dies, Letho dies, Saskia dies (pretty much the best of a worst situation there) I also fucked up some other options, but basically the south becomes more unstable and the pontar valley no longer has a ruler.

So yeah, I'm completely unsure what save to take. I like Vernon more but Iorveth's side seems to have a better ending for the south considering it has two more rulers and a better chance against the north, but  then you end up betraying your kingdom, Vernon (who probably dies), and you're still an outlaw. So yeah, no easy answers and each side has its positives and negatives.

So yeah, great game, amazing story, one of the few games were choices made in game felt important and everyone had a well fleshed out motivation and it all tied in really well to this multilayered story. The only things that bother me are the fact that everything can be very hard to follow on a single play through, and the fact that Triss is always trying to get with you despite being good friends with the girl whom Geralt is supposed to love and be chasing the entire series. Also magic, traps, and bombs could be better balanced, needing to meditate to drink potions sucks, and the potions themselves are pretty mediocre.

Oh, and I'm about done with Chrono Trigger. Amazing game, getting my ultimate weapons as of now and wrapping up the side quests. Really blown away by the game, wish I played it when younger, would have been SO into RPGs then.

also ONE more minor knit pick, my friend says he's play a "good guy" first in Skyrim and he keeps following all these arbitrary rules, and I'm 90% sure Skyrim has no morality system. So do people actually enjoy a black and white morality system? I really hope they die out, they're basically embarrassing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:38:51 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: November 22, 2011, 02:49:55 AM »
I cannot stand losing to someone worse than me in SFAE. I have no real problem in any other game, fighting or otherwise, but when I lose to a Blanka spamming electricity or a Ryu spamming shoryuken I get so mad that my heart races. I'm not even good at SF4 but I take it too goddamn seriously. Not to mention how many trolls or generally bad players that get away with murder due to online play (not to sound like DSP, but there are things that work only online). Still, if I can figure out how to keep my head clear I play so much better, and I'm also getting a lot better at blocking (I can better judge when cross ups are coming, and I feel like I'm getting a lot better at spacing).

Welp, bought and beat Dead Space 2. Enjoyed the hell out of it, but it was short.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:46:22 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: December 09, 2011, 05:47:19 AM »
Welp, steam sales are raping me financially and I bought Bastion and Orcs Must Die. Orcs Must Die is surprisingly fun, I guess I'm a big fan of tower defense games, but I rarely see any that allow you to move in the field and allow you to attack while building defenses. So yeah, the game is a good challenge on most maps, the traps feel good if a little weak, there's a wide variety of traps that are generally unique. Also you get a decent amount of magic and "talent trees" that you can use to beef up yourself, your minions, or traps per map. So yeah, my only complaints are it's only single player and it's rather short.

Also really digging Bastion. The combat is a lot more fun then I thought it would be, the story is interesting and the way it's told is rather awesome, and the art style makes me want to cum buckets. I also find it kind of funny that the game is generally kid friend, and even looks that way, but you use alcohol for passive effects and you smoke from a pipe until you black out and fight your inner demons.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:50:19 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1709 on: December 09, 2011, 10:25:19 AM »
Haha, nice. I saw some preview stuff before it came out and it looked like a good game, glad to hear it's living up to that.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x