Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 567511 times)

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1875 on: December 09, 2015, 03:15:48 AM »
Suppose I'll double post since...It's been almost 2 months.

Last post was omg starcraft, beat broodwar. Which, great game, glad I went back to it.

Since then...

Starcraft 2 LotV!  Fucking great, pretty much what you'd expect from a starcraft 2 campaign, Q plays an asshole protoss character and he's great. Then after the protoss campaign, there's a 3 mission epilogue to wrap starcraft up...and they leave it a bit vague while giving a satisfying ending. I liked it.

Fallout 4, the fallout thread kinda expresses my opinion. It's a good game, just not a great game. I am interested in future dlc if not only because I don't have anything to do in my current save, the main quest is kinda most of the meat in this game, unlike other bethesda open world games. Still had a good time with it, but it aint no elder scrolls game.

Witcher 3. I have not beat this game. I am level 16, and I have put EIGHTY EIGHT FUCKING HOURS INTO THIS MONSTER. This thing is mammoth like skyrim mammoth, literally. Like 88 hours and im probably half way? 2/3? I don't know, but fucking hell this game is a monster. ITS HUGE, im afraid to leave it, or to stop playing it for a while because going back to it would be really hard. I don't want to speak too soon on how good the game is until I complete it, but It's gotta be one of the most finely crafted rpgs ever made or something, like, it's a damn fine game. It's really really really good and rpg fans need to play it, that's my take on it.

In conclusion, I got a ps4, and instead of it collecting dust like when I got an xbox 360 back in 2006, I have put over 120 hours into this fucker. BEEN GETTING SOME USE!

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: December 11, 2015, 02:02:35 PM »
Just finished up the main story line for GTA V on the PC - game was even more amazing the 2nd time around.. first playthru was on my ps3. Now that I've upgraded my CPU and vidya card, GTA runs flawlessly on my tower. 

This time I am doing the assassination missions correctly though - saved all of them for after the big heist so I have a decent amount of money to throw at it. 

Never spent any time on GTA online due to the ps3's inability to stay connected for any respectable amount of time, so I will be exploring more of this side of GTA now that I've wrapped up the story again.

Excited as FUCK for the FF7 remake and will be one of the reasons for my ps4 purchase next year.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: December 27, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
oh fucks

got my first mechanical keyboard for christmas - the logitech G710+ alone with the G502 mouse. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing

can't believe I didn't get this for myself sooner.

merry christmas

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1878 on: December 27, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »
Hey, you have my keyboard!

I'm impressed at how good this keyboard is. The mere fact that Logitech put rubber o-rings on the key caps is both unusual (the only other mechanical keyboard vendor I've seen that will do that is WASD, and it's an optional part with them) and very welcome (they both reduce noise and the amount of typing fatigue you get if you bottom out the keys a lot).

Please let me know how the G502 is after you've use it for a while. I'm currently using a SteelSeries Sensei, but after experiencing a number of issues with both SteelSeries' reliability as well as their shitty product support and unstable software I plan to jump ship after this mouse inevitably dies.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: December 27, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
I'm definitely not used to so many options! There are tons of features like DPI profile switching and tuning with dedicated buttons, more customizable buttons, free/clicking middle wheel selector.. To me it is an insane improvement over my basic wireless optical 2000 MS mouse that has been performing faithfully for almost a decade. Can't believe I never considered a mouse/keyboard to be part of my upgrade path. Such a pleasure to use; the mouse is smooth as silk, and I use it on a steelseries black gaming surface

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1880 on: December 27, 2015, 11:36:45 PM »
Oh yeah, the mouse can make quite a difference, even when you're not gaming. That's yet another reason why gaming can be an expensive hobby. :)

The laser/optical engine makes a pretty phenomenal difference in and of itself. Even if all your mouse offers is increased DPI (like the classic Logitech MX510/518) it can be a godsend. Fire up an FPS, crank up the DPI on the mouse, drop the sensitivity in-game, and be amazed at the extra precision you end up getting. ;D

I would definitely recommend sticking with Logitech over most other brands since they seem to actually care about making products that will last. Be very careful of the big two. I've personally owned three SteelSeries devices that have had issues (two WoW Cataclysm mice with bad microswitches after a suspiciously low number of clicks and a 6GV2 keyboard that flat-out died a few days after the warranty expired) and have witnessed several Razer keyboards and mice either die outright or develop switch issues in surprisingly short periods of time. Meanwhile, my old Logitech MX518--which is probably 8 years old!--is still being used as a daily driver, and my old old old Logitech Elite keyboard (remember those old StepMania videos I did with that black keyboard? Yep, that's the one!) STILL FUCKING WORKS despite being going through several moves, being dropped a few times, and getting StepMania'd all to hell.

That said, I'm also looking into a few other brands, like Roccat and Mad Catz (they make an interesting looking mouse) to see if they're up to snuff. I would like to keep two decent mice around--one for my Mac and one for my gaming rig to reduce the amount of swapping I have to do--so I may end up ordering something new soon. I could definitely use a new MMO mouse, too, especially since I started getting back into SW:TOR recently. Hmm...

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1881 on: December 28, 2015, 01:01:21 AM »
Yeah those Mad Catz mice look weird as shit.

And yeah, going from cheap stuff to the more expensive keyboards and mice is a world of difference.

As for games, I've been checking out various rhythm games on my phone. Deemo is fun, but I can't seem to get the offset right. O2Jam U is fun, but god do I suck at it. DJ Max Technica Q is pretty fun, but they seem to want to get every last cent out of you. Can't buy Q points with ingame currency (that I know of), and it costs $2 per song or $6 for a song pack of 4 songs :/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:07:29 AM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: December 28, 2015, 11:52:14 AM »
Fuckin steam winter sale....

picked up cheap Bioshock 2 and Infinite since I only ever pirated those and love those games. Can't wait to experience them again with better hardware

Also, picked up ESO for 60% off! Got the imperial edition. Been wanting to try this game, even more so after the Tamriel unlimited update.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: December 29, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
I'd been holding back on the steam sales, but that's probably a facet of the past 200 steam sales and my game list being quite large right now.

However I did pick up cities: skylines, which I'll probably dabble in later.

Ohh, I beat witcher 3, took 148 hours...good game, just...very...long...

mmmm and this arrived, so, im kinda sitting around waiting for the release of street fighter 5...it can come out any day now...i got the ps4, the ps4 stick, the game, the ps+, going to get the season pass sometime in january...seriously capcom if you wanna release it early...y'know...you can, i'll allow it...

In the meantime, looking at playing something in my hugeeeee hundreds of games big backlog now that im free from the grasp of witcher, but I haven't decided what to tackle just yet.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1884 on: January 02, 2016, 06:12:27 AM »
I finally beat ("beat" meaning collected all sigils and stars) both the Talos Principle and the Road to Gehenna DLC. Still blown away by how good that game is.

I didn't care for the DLC quite as much. Some of the puzzles went a bit too far with the arcane solutions and I got annoyed by the jumping puzzles (first-person platforming is bad enough as it is, but the Serious Engine really really really doesn't handle it well).

It still makes me smile how a company that makes some of the dumbest first-person shooters* managed to build one of the most thoughtful puzzlers that I can think of.

*I've heard some people argue that Serious Sam isn't dumb because it's well-designed, but I'm of the opinion that it isn't particularly well-designed. I revisited it recently and I was bored out of my skull. Wacky weapons like the cannon aside, the arena-style shooty elements were honestly pretty uninspired compared to the tightly designed experiences that its competition (Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein: The New Order, etc) provides.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1885 on: January 04, 2016, 12:59:10 AM »
dobble roast

I started playing Read Only Memories this evening. Two hours went by before I knew it. I really like it so far (as if that needed stated, given my previous sentence). I kind of disagree with it being positioned as an adventure game. It feels more like an exploratory visual novel in the same vein as Phoenix Wright and its contemporaries.

Regardless, it's a fine game so far.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 13, 2016, 03:02:36 AM »
Diablo 3, patch 2.4. Durring season 4, my crusader managed to be my most successful character (as all season characters SHOULD due to power creep) at beating greater rift 48. After season 4 ended, ramping up to season 5, they made the thorns set viable. I spent about ~5 hours farming for gear, and in that time, I got...every...single...item...for every single slot...that I needed for it.

Now this fucker is on greater rift 60, and I know I can go at least one or two levels higher.

I farmed for 5 hours to get this.

Thorns crusader is a goddamn motherfucking MOUNTAIN. Basically have like 95% block chance and over 200 MILLION toughness. Shit that was one shotting my hammerdin on grift 48 doesn't even lightly tickle me on grift 55. And all you're doing is running around stabbing everything with a shitty dagger. It's silly, but I like it. This is the ultimate proof that sheet damage doesn't mean a damn thing at all when it comes to killing power.

So lets math a second because im bored. Using this reference to see how much health is boosted per grift level. My witchdoctor has completed grift 45, his max at that gear. His sheet damage is 1.1 million. The health multiplier in greater rift 45 is 2000. My crusader has completed grift 60, and I know I can go higher, at under 250k damage. The health multiplier in grift 60 is 21,000, over 10 times more health. So on paper, I have about a quarter the damage of my witchdoctor, in practice, I have 10 times the damage of my witchdoctor. So my puny 250k sheet damage may as well be 10 million actual damage.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/vladgd-1696/hero/65548919

Not bad for a day of play. Season 5 starts on Friday, Hopefully I can at least do grift 50. I don't want to put a ton of time into the season this time around, just looking to get my free stash tab and play something else.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1887 on: January 13, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »
Very nice! I'm glad thorns is finally good for something. That always felt like such a wasted stat before.

And yeah, I almost wish that they'd just drop the damage stat from the UI entirely when you hit the level cap, just to make it less of a distraction. It's fine when you're leveling because you generally don't care too much about what gear you get, since it makes it easy to pick out reasonable upgrades for blues/yellows while you're leveling, but when you hit 70, paying attention to it is harmful and is good for little more than dickwagging (and even then, that kind of dickwagging only works on people who don't have much experience with ARPGs).

Speaking of ARPGs, have you checked out Grim Dawn, vlad? I think the best way I can describe it is as a Diablo II clone with some D3-esque quality of life improvements. I think you might like it. It's still technically in early access on Steam, but as of last month it's content complete, so I think it'll be losing that tag pretty soon.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 13, 2016, 02:50:16 PM »
While I do love diablo, it's weird, but I don't think I like the genre...I just only like diablo, if that makes sense.

I played torchlight and path of exile, and those are fine games, but, goddamn they bore me to sleep. I don't know what blizzard is doing, but I just cant into other arpg's. I love all 3 diablo games, and outside that, I haven't found an arpg to make me care about it's particular kind of loot hunting. I don't even think torchlight and path of exile are bad games, just, not for me. Though I could just be biased since diablo 2 is one of my favorite games, and diablo 1 is fantastic (might be the most fun diablo game for a single playthrough), and they've turned diablo 3 from fucking garbage into pretty good.

Still, if I hear positive buzz, may be worth investigating. Will be hard though, this year has a few games that I need to play, sf5, xcom 2, overwatch, possibly wow legion.

Ohh, and I hit 63...might try for 64, but it's getting pretty rough, 63 might be my limit.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1889 on: January 13, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »
Fair enough, and perfectly understandable. :)

I think the main bit of magic that Diablo has that most of its competitors lack is excellent pacing. Both of the games that you mentioned (as well as Grim Dawn, to be honest) drag along for a few hours until they flood you with new abilities. The Diablo series is a gift that keeps on giving in terms of skill and gear progression.

Even with how rocky Diablo 3 was at launch, it still managed to capture some of that. It's biggest failing was always that your get stuck half-way through Nightmare and/or Hell until you grinded for gear. Thank goodness the fucking RMAH is deader than dead.