Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 568042 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1920 on: February 02, 2017, 10:18:38 AM »
He does tend to make things really simple when it comes to bad, overhyped AAA titles.

Me: *turns on the review*
AJ: "YOU FUCKED IT UP."
Me: "Whelp."
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: February 02, 2017, 02:46:41 PM »
I mean as shitty as the ending was, the game before that was really good. Albiet, IT HAD QUITE A BIT OF FLAWS THE OTHER TWO GAMES DIDN'T HAVE, I won't let my fanboyism blind me of that.

I wouldn't not buy a good game because of a poor ending though. Not to mention Andromeda isn't a trilogy, so it's not going to have the burdon of 5 years and two other games ontop of it, should be a fresh start.

LESS THAN TWO MONTHS AWAY

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #1922 on: February 02, 2017, 03:47:53 PM »
Definitely not arguing that is was a good game. It's (I'm going to Chris Traeger here) LITERALLY the best game I've ever played (I mean the trilogy basically). My emotions have never been so involved in a game in my life.

I also have come to feel like EA is making progress becoming more consumer friendly. I've had a couple service requests through Origin that would NEVER have gotten solved in the efficient and timely manner it was through Steam.

I just....can't pre-order anymore. Maybe I just have trust issues after the last couple years.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1923 on: February 02, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm in the same boat regarding the pre-order thing, especially considering I lean more towards PC (which is why I pay so much attention to TotalBiscuit). Plus, I feel like encouraging the blatantly anti-consumer measures that companies have been pushing would be doing everyone a disservice. Every dissenting voice counts to some degree.

I mean, the fact that some companies need to make a freaking feature matrix so that people can understand the various tiers of bonuses associated with a dozen separate pre-order SKUs is just insane.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: February 02, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »
I can respect being against pre ordering, I do see where y'all are coming from. In my case, if it's a game I know for 100% certain I want to play at launch, I am going to pre order. If it's a game I want to play, but I don't need to play release day (civ 6, and ff15 come to mind) I'll just wait for a price drop.

Basically what I am saying is blame Amazon for giving me 20% off from preordering.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1925 on: February 07, 2017, 12:20:34 AM »
If it is a game that I know I'm going to get, by a developer that I trust, I will occasionally preorder. This is mostly due to Steam's new refund policy more than anything else. Origin apparently has a decent refund system as well, so...eh. I dunno. Maybe.

The problem that I see with most preorders is that you're taking a lot of risk with relatively few benefits. That being said, 20% is a damn fine incentive.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 10, 2017, 11:40:28 PM »
Speaking of 20% off...Civilization VI is doing that right now, and I couldn't resist.

I'm one of those people who like the civ games while at the same time being horrible at them.

How doth I prince difficulty or higher? Going to spend my first few games on chieftain.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1927 on: March 17, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
Breath of the Wild, Wii U. It's good. It's definitely not 10/10 good for me. Maybe close to an 8. There are a lot of annoying bits and things that just aren't done very well.

Yep, you guessed it. I don't care for the weapon durability system as it's implemented. Playing weapon roulette isn't fun, and I'm tired of people making the "BUT THERE'S WEAPONS EVERYWHERE!!!" excuse. If I fight more than two enemies at once it's inevitable that I spend a decent chunk of time staring at the weapon selection mini-menu. The limited inventory space doesn't help, either. Durability being what it is, I don't want to waste a good weapon on a bokoblin, so I keep at least one basic club in my inventory. The fact that items that have a more utilitarian lean (i.e. torches, axes, etc) also take up valuable weapon slots doesn't help in the slightest.

Aside from that niggle (and it's a pretty big one, seeing as it effects almost every combat encounter in the game), I love the way exploration works. The fact that you can climb just about anything, given enough stamina, is awesome as well. Speaking of the stamina system, it feels a bit...off. I have a hard time believing that the Hero of Hyrule would have a tough time racing my fat ass but can climb literal mountains. I understand it from a gameplay perspective, but that doesn't make it feel any less weird.

Oh, and the framerate issues. BotW drops to 30fps quite a lot. Fortunately, for the most part, it hasn't dropped down below that too often. Kakariko Village was definitely sitting at 20-ish, but there isn't any combat there, so I was able to tolerate it.

So yeah, I dunno. It's good, but it's definitely not the second coming. I wouldn't even call it my favorite Zelda game (that dubious honor goes to either Link's Awakening or A Link to the Past, depending on what kind of mood I'm in).

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 18, 2017, 12:08:57 AM »
I'd have to say links awakening is mine.

New Zelda looks great, but I can't justify getting a console for that one single game. Definitely going to try it when I end up with a switch in the future though. Like you seriously expect me to not get it when it's going to have ultra street fighter 2? Yall knows how much of a street fighter 2 fanboy I am 'round these parts.

Pretty much going to do what I did with the ps4. Want it, but can't justify it due to tiny library, wait a year or so for a decent library of games then snag one.

Kinda wanted to split it with my girlfriend, but part of me worries that the next nintendo handheld...is just going to be the switch, and if that ends up the case, we'd both want to have one.

(and expect some long tldr paragraph book novel post in a week or more after andromeda hits)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1929 on: March 18, 2017, 12:55:11 AM »
Link's Awakening is a damn fine game. I'm going to have to replay that one soon. It's been a while. I think I might even know where the cartridge is (and, if not...emulators).

And yeah, if I didn't already have a Wii U I would have waited for the Switch to build up a more impressive library (coupled with a price reduction and/or bundle deals). I also want to wait a while for the Switch because I'm very concerned about some of the design/hardware issues that it's had. Not so much things that are relatively rare (like the screen cutting out, etc) but more the stupid omissions, like a decent screen cover (cheap plastic is awful for a portable system), a reasonable amount of internal storage, and controllers that use piss-poor antennas and randomly disconnect if a speck of dust gets between you and the system.

Speaking of removable storage, I watch Ben Heck's teardown of the Switch and the eMMC (flash storage) module is removable, so you can definitely expect to see consoles with more storage. As for why you would want to wait for that when it has a MicroSD card slot, eMMC offers a much higher transfer rate.

And fuck...yeah, Andromeda is dropping soon, isn't it? And NieR: Automata hit Steam recently as well. And I still need to get through Night in the Woods (I adore that game so far). TOO MANY GAMES.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 19, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »
On Zelda, Links Awakening is amazing, I lost my original copy but I got it on 3ds because I wanted to buy a rom on the worst possible device to buy a rom on. Never played the capcom gbc zelda games though, considering how much I enjoy links awakening, I don't know why I've never tried em. I do intend to play them some time.

On the switch, Yeah a friend of mine is making the same point of waiting until they release an updated version of the thing, and if I want to follow some common sense, I'll probably wait until that.

And on Andromeda...

(and I payed 5 bucks for ea access to play some multiplayer on pc even though my videocard is ancient and plays the thing on lowest settings)

But.......then I got distracted by trying Killer Instinct on pc, and it actually runs pretty good. Definitely going to buy the full game in my post Andromeda pre Tekken 7 window. Then there's yooka laylee and persona 5 in like two weeks, videogame companies releasing all the videogames I want in the entire year at the same time.

https://www.twitch.tv/vladgd  Should be playing Andromeda on that sonbitch starting LATE tuesday, most likely all day Wed/Thu before I go back to work on Friday. Assuming ps4 doesn't choose to block all content"cough " the entire ending of ff7 "cough", I intend on streaming my entire playthrough.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1931 on: March 20, 2017, 12:37:26 AM »
I might be doing the same thing, honestly. My copy isn't where I thought it was (though I did find all of my Pokémon games, Tetris DX, Metroid 2, my GameShark, and a bunch of other odds and ends). I wonder how many of my cartridges actually have a working battery. Some of those are twenty years old. :s

I think Link's Awakening is the only portable Zelda game I've played. I've heard good things about the Capcom ones, as well as Four Swords Adventure. One of these days, maybe.

I played a little bit of Killer Instinct on PC at a friend's house and...ugh, I really think I might get it. I'm not huge into fighters, but playing that felt really good. I'd probably want to get a fightstick first, but at least one of those would work well for other games that I play (aforementioned friend uses his for StepMania).

Oh god, I forgot about Yooka Laylee. Fuuuuuuuuu-! There another one for the backlog.

Really? They blocked the FF7 ending? Who hasn't seen that by this point? The damn game is 20 years old. That'd be like if they blocked the ending to the original Super Mario Bros.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1932 on: April 11, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
"Whatcha playin'" isn't entirely accurate for this one, but I played through the Steam version of OneShot this past weekend and achieved the true ending.

Holy fuck, it's so goddamn good. Very well-written! Downright creepy in some sections, touching in others, and with just the right amount of humor thrown in.

10/10 would have my computer invaded by a video game again
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:28:02 PM by Spectere »

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: April 13, 2017, 02:31:37 AM »
I'd be playing yooka laylee today, but yknow I got access to this thing...

Doesn't the necromancer come out like in fall or winter? OHH YEAH THIS BETA INVITE. I feel like im in the cool kids club for once.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1934 on: April 13, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
I hate you. <3

So, how is it?