Author Topic: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance  (Read 469951 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »
Where you running anything like seeding torrents when you ran it the first time? Because any sort of upload and download while that test is going will skew the results.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »
y halo thar:

"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2008, 06:23:09 PM »
Where you running anything like seeding torrents when you ran it the first time? Because any sort of upload and download while that test is going will skew the results.

nope, although it seems the name of the isp changed from crystal microsystems to verizon internet services. 

maby i was still using the old connection, or something bugged when it was just activated.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #228 on: April 24, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
y halo thar:

I've never quite understood how people could get connections that fast without either being on a university connection, or paying an arm and a leg. What are you paying for that connection?

Also, any tips on how to increase my Signal To Noise ratio on my modem? 5 db is just above the point where you'll start running into trouble.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2008, 07:08:08 PM »
I'm not sure what your setup is, but at my cable support job, we had tools to tell us the customers SNR among other things. The way I understand it, it had something to do with the cable lines themselves, and not adjustable in the modem [at least they didn't do that], some cable lines were just crappy, splitters going bad, and the 'box' or junction outside needing upgrading or modifying.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2008, 07:33:20 PM »
Ahh, wasn't sure if there was anything I could do, but I was hoping there was. My modem is capable of telling me my SNR, among other info as well, but I never managed to get it to work (you had to connect to it with a telnet connection and such, and I don't have PPPOE installed on my computer, so I couldn't even communicate with it).

But yeah, my SNR being 5 db is kinda bad, since the lowest recommended level was usually 6 db. I don't lose any packets or anything right now, but if the infrastructure around here gets upgraded and my connection does too, I won't be able to take advantage of that, because any faster connection would cause my SNR to drop. Not to mention my line consumption idles at 88% :/ Yeah, my lines are really bad.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2008, 08:41:43 PM »
Sup kids. Haven't been on in a few days, been busy with TONS of AP American History homework, work, having a girlfriend, etc. Tomorrow after school I'm going swamping with a few friends in this MASSIVE swamp we've never been in before. We all bought galoshes and I'm bringing my machetes and axe. Should be epic.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Shoop Da Whoop

• errday im huslin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »
The 99 cent store around here has machetes and their only a dollar. You can sharpen them down with a hand grinder and have all kinds of fun with them in the forest around here.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2008, 09:43:35 PM »
I've never quite understood how people could get connections that fast without either being on a university connection, or paying an arm and a leg. What are you paying for that connection?

It's a basic cable Internet package.  I'm not sure how much it is exactly because the bill isn't split up (the digital cable TV service and Internet connection is jumped into one $80 blob), but it's probably around $30-40.

Comcast has to compete with FiOS in this area, so they pump the speeds up by lots.  There have been times where I've downloaded at around 2.5MB/s before.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »
Damn. How much is FiOS anyway?

It's always bugged me how crappy connectivity is around here. I've got friends who can't get high speed because there just isn't any infrastructure capable of giving them highspeed.

I mean, the fact that my plan is now 5 mbits for $30 instead of 3 is relatively new, I think they just updated the speeds a couple months ago, maybe 6 months ago.

If I want a connection capable of downloading at 2.5 MB/s, I'd have to pay an arm and a leg (and definitely get a new modem, if not get new lines to the house as well).

EDIT: Treading the wiki page on FiOS, I read that the TOS say you can't host a server of any kind (unless you're buying a commercial package, where available). That is absolutely retarded...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 11:32:04 PM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2008, 11:28:22 PM »
I dunno.  It's cheaper than what we're paying for this (well, technically, what Nielsen is paying for this...this job has the most amazing perks), we just don't get it at our apartment complex yet.  Tis a shame.

We are definitely switching when it comes available, though.  Comcast is the fastest cable service I've used but from what I've observed (and from what I've read) its fast speeds aren't as consistent as FiOS.  It's always fast, but it doesn't hold 15mbps all the time (though it's always faster than 8-9mbps, so I can't complain).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2008, 11:33:49 PM »
Damn, I really wish we had service around here that was anywhere close to that sort of stuff. I'd get some info about the fastest service available at my ISP, but apparently their site is down temporarily (503 page came up.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2008, 02:46:59 AM »
agonizing. :[

needs more pumperage. i might pay the landlord the difference to get the more expensive shit. like the 9mb/s or whatever the fuck. $10/mo for 7.5 mb/sec more. why the fuck not?

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Kulli

« Reply #238 on: April 25, 2008, 02:51:36 AM »

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 25, 2008, 02:55:05 AM »

I win.