Author Topic: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance  (Read 480499 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance
« Reply #825 on: June 21, 2008, 01:14:01 AM »
Yeah, it does hardware ratings.  They're fine when it comes to lower-end hardware but they are limited to 5.9, making it pretty much useless with upper-mid-range and high-end systems.

Long story short, my computer would get the same rating as a system with dual, heavily overclocked Core 2 Quads with three GeForce GTX280s.  Does that make sense?  I think not.
"This is a machine for making cows."

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 21, 2008, 01:33:22 AM »
I just went to Tokyo Game Action and got the 'play for a day' pass.  My girlfriend and I got there at 3:30pm and we left at 11:30pm.  I played:

IIDX DjTroopers
Popn' Music Fever/Party
Drummania/Guitar Freaks V4
Drummania V3
Beatmania The Final
Dance Maniax 2nd Mix
Para Para Paradise 2nd Mix
DDR 5th Mix/Extreme
ITG2
Some Pump it up game
A bunch of fighting games including a street fighter 2 Turbo cabinet
And a bunch of other sweet games

It was f*cking bemani heaven  8) 8)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #827 on: June 21, 2008, 02:10:06 AM »
I just went to Tokyo Game Action

I strongly dislike you. <_<

vladgd

« Reply #828 on: June 21, 2008, 02:19:30 AM »
now, if i was your girlfriend for that day, i would have played IIDX 15 DJT.

ENVY!!1111111111111111

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #829 on: June 21, 2008, 07:43:32 AM »
I want you to burn in hell. <_<

Fix't
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #830 on: June 22, 2008, 01:55:57 AM »
Yeah, it does hardware ratings.  They're fine when it comes to lower-end hardware but they are limited to 5.9, making it pretty much useless with upper-mid-range and high-end systems.

Long story short, my computer would get the same rating as a system with dual, heavily overclocked Core 2 Quads with three GeForce GTX280s.  Does that make sense?  I think not.

This is why they make benchmarking software, though. Typical home users don't give a shit how their system compares to high performance builds.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #831 on: June 22, 2008, 03:00:39 AM »
I just got back from riding my bike 8 miles round-trip to Wal-Mart. I bought a new Hot Wheels car for the first time in about ten years, and also a little cheap plastic ring (I didn't get the one I wanted =( but oh well)

I feel very accomplished, and tired.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #832 on: June 22, 2008, 03:19:58 AM »
i ride 6 miles to work each day, and 6 miles back (6 + 6 = 12). About every other day I try to ride 20 miles. It's awesome exercise... But then again, I have a roadbike, so it makes it a bit easier than a mountain bike, lol. (if thats what you use.)

Edits, smilies, and parentheses:

pic: (sorry about the shadowing and BS, it's the only one I have and it's night out.)

Not only is it the feeling you get from accomplishing something, but the endorphins you produce when doing strenuous activity. (A sort of natural pain reliever) If you've ever heard of or are familiar with a "runner's high," you'll know what I'm talking about. Otherwise, you're producing so many endorphins that you get a buzz out of it, and your body sorta goes numb. It's also a reason why people can get addicted to running, or other physical activity... ;]

My bicycling habits may be they way they are because of this, but really, I just like to hop on my bike, and listen to music as I see the landscape. It's just fucking fun. As well as sprinting to pass cars... XD

Anyway, I don't mean to come off as boasting or anything, it's just that biking or exercising does a lot more than you'd think at first guess. I've found that once you get into the habit of regularly exercising, it's extremely hard to quit! But yeah. Keep up on the bike rides, dude. And just go explore shit. If you're not already, you'd be surprised how much company a bicycle can bring you.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 06:15:34 AM by Zakamiro »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #833 on: June 22, 2008, 10:25:01 AM »
This is why they make benchmarking software, though. Typical home users don't give a shit how their system compares to high performance builds.

The thing is, the Windows Experience Index (or whatever it's called) is supposed to give you an idea of what games your system can play.  If it just takes every mid-range or better system and lumps it into 5.9, what's the point?

I think the tests should be a bit more intense, the grading a bit looser (to allow the lower-end systems to actually manage 1.0-2.0 like they currently do), and the grades should go up to 10.  5.9 is a very arbitrary cutoff.  Also, with games pushing the envelope as far as graphics go nowadays (hi Crysis) the games themselves are probably going to pass the 5.9 mark for their recommended settings within a year or two.

Really, I think the index is, undoubtedly, a failure.  It doesn't help the people that have mid-range to high-end systems that don't know a whole lot about how system requirements work (which is quite common nowadays -- games that don't know much about computer hardware or software will happily drop $2000+ on a computer if it lets them play whatever they want).  Yeah, you or I will easily know whether our rigs can handle it, regardless of how 5.9 they are, but the target of the ratings -- the majority of Windows users -- will still be left in the shade.

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #834 on: June 22, 2008, 01:54:52 PM »
words

yeah, I have been biking a lot lately. I stopped for a few months due to being busy with school and stuff, but earlier this year I was on my bike all the time, riding all over the area. I got my parents into it too, and now they explore, like, the entire northern part of my county on their bikes. I was the one that thought of/purchased bike lights for both bikes we own, so now they (and I) are legally free to bike at all hours of the day and night.

My work is 7.5 miles away, so it'd be 15 miles roundtrip. I thought of doing that a few weeks ago but my girlfriend talked me out of it. I can't honestly say I'd want to ride for an hour back home after I get off work nearing 10. Maybe once I bike more and build up my stamina it wouldn't be so ridiculous.

And I'm not sure what kind of bike I have. I think it is a mountain bike... it has 21 gears for different levels of gearage. I should probably save up for a cool bike like yours, how much did it run you?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 01:57:10 PM by TimJing »

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #836 on: June 22, 2008, 11:08:07 PM »
TLDR INC

well i had an awesome 4th edition session today.

let me try to sum it up, most of the awesome came at the end.

-first encounter, everybody but me got feared into a group of zombies, took care of them easily
-second encounter was a hall with infinite spawning skeleton minions, was a bit of a pain in the ass, till the paladin figured out what to do, killing them off.
-third encounter was a skill encounter, we all rolled pretty good and passed this one without needing to go into combat

-we all decided to rest and recover-
-somebody messaged the paladin that danger is coming to the town (and we are here trying to do something to protect said town)

-the paladin because of his faith in his diety (bahamut) is compelled to leave and save the town, i go along with him(partially because of my diety, kord, so i can test my bravery and stuff.  any little thing i can do to "role play" my character, as i suck at role playing), the other 3 players stay here to complete the objective.  so we pretty much split up

-the other 3 encounter an easy zombie encounter and take it out with slightly more difficulty, but not much.

-we ride BLAZINGLY fast towards the town, arrive, and head to the graveyard where all the shenanigans is happening.
-there is a glyph we need to take out, and me the only guy with skill in arcana (not much, but its there) is the only one capable of taking out said glyph.
-we run in...and....elven archer + 2 melee zombies + 12 archer zombies....

to make the epic encounter short(k i can't really do that), we got a few minor bonuses from our gods(+5 healing, the paladin did radient damage), because this is a challenge 5 fight...with 2 people.

i spend the encounter healing myself with minor actions while "botching" a bit of arcana rolls to take out the glyph, while the paladin defends me from the melee zombies, as the archers attack the both of us. 

every turn pretty much, we lose nearly half of our total hp...so we blow all of our encounter and daily powers, and i blow all of my healing powers. 

anyway, i kick the glyph out, all the zombies die, and we ass rush the archer.  we both equally fuck her up, she runs away, paladin charges, and i finish her off with a lance of faith. 

blablabla, our characters have cajones (sp?), that was an awesome encounter, and kord had better enjoy the bravery my character just shown.

level 3 dwarven cleric (not the melee variety) and a level 3 dragonborn paladin

tldr version- play 4th edition, lessn' you are a neckbeard who can't handle change, you should definatley enjoy the changes that were made.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 23, 2008, 01:42:04 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/

Good night, sweet prince.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #838 on: June 23, 2008, 02:22:06 AM »
TLDR INC

well i had an awesome 4th edition session today.

let me try to sum it up, most of the awesome came at the end.

-first encounter, everybody but me got feared into a group of zombies, took care of them easily
-second encounter was a hall with infinite spawning skeleton minions, was a bit of a pain in the ass, till the paladin figured out what to do, killing them off.
-third encounter was a skill encounter, we all rolled pretty good and passed this one without needing to go into combat

-we all decided to rest and recover-
-somebody messaged the paladin that danger is coming to the town (and we are here trying to do something to protect said town)

-the paladin because of his faith in his diety (bahamut) is compelled to leave and save the town, i go along with him(partially because of my diety, kord, so i can test my bravery and stuff.  any little thing i can do to "role play" my character, as i suck at role playing), the other 3 players stay here to complete the objective.  so we pretty much split up

-the other 3 encounter an easy zombie encounter and take it out with slightly more difficulty, but not much.

-we ride BLAZINGLY fast towards the town, arrive, and head to the graveyard where all the shenanigans is happening.
-there is a glyph we need to take out, and me the only guy with skill in arcana (not much, but its there) is the only one capable of taking out said glyph.
-we run in...and....elven archer + 2 melee zombies + 12 archer zombies....

to make the epic encounter short(k i can't really do that), we got a few minor bonuses from our gods(+5 healing, the paladin did radient damage), because this is a challenge 5 fight...with 2 people.

i spend the encounter healing myself with minor actions while "botching" a bit of arcana rolls to take out the glyph, while the paladin defends me from the melee zombies, as the archers attack the both of us. 

every turn pretty much, we lose nearly half of our total hp...so we blow all of our encounter and daily powers, and i blow all of my healing powers. 

anyway, i kick the glyph out, all the zombies die, and we ass rush the archer.  we both equally fuck her up, she runs away, paladin charges, and i finish her off with a lance of faith. 

blablabla, our characters have cajones (sp?), that was an awesome encounter, and kord had better enjoy the bravery my character just shown.

level 3 dwarven cleric (not the melee variety) and a level 3 dragonborn paladin

tldr version- play 4th edition, lessn' you are a neckbeard who can't handle change, you should definatley enjoy the changes that were made.

I'd like to try playing 4.0 sometime.  I just got started back up on a 3.5 campaign this afternoon.  :3  Playin' a level 1 half-orc bard.  :D
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #839 on: June 23, 2008, 03:41:09 AM »
My work is 7.5 miles away, so it'd be 15 miles roundtrip. I thought of doing that a few weeks ago but my girlfriend talked me out of it. I can't honestly say I'd want to ride for an hour back home after I get off work nearing 10. Maybe once I bike more and build up my stamina it wouldn't be so ridiculous.

Exactly. I've been riding for a good while, but going to my old job and back from my old house (old old old lol jk.) took at most 35 mins there, and 20 minutes back. You'll be amazed how your body can adapt to needing more stamina.

And I'm not sure what kind of bike I have. I think it is a mountain bike... it has 21 gears for different levels of gearage. I should probably save up for a cool bike like yours, how much did it run you?

You'd know if it was anything but a mountain bike. a "21 gear" bike is extremely typical for a mountain bike. Unfortunately, mountain bikes are bad (not awful) at road use. Knobby tires, heavy hardware, and sometimes made of steel frames. Great if you want a bike that can survive falling 24 feet, bad if you're trying to get places efficiently. (or climbing up hills... Oh god.) I bought mine on sale for about $500, marked down from a retail price of $800 something. ($8xx) I honestly don't regret buying my bike a single bit. Well, perhaps if I had wanted to wait to get it in a larger frame size, but that's about it. I've got about a 35" inseam, and yeahhh. Anyway, most bike shops will tell you to not spend less than a grand on a road bike, because usually stock derailleurs suck on bikes less than that price point. My front forks are made of carbon fiber, (which sucks because the rear fork or frame being made of carbon fiber would have been far superior) and that prolly hiked up the price a little bit. If you intend on buying a road bike, be sure to give it a thorough test ride on it before you get it, and try to push it hard, to see its performance barriers and such. Also, never ride with your weight fully on the seat. It'll make your sit bones hurt like hell, and that lost weight could have been used for extra torque on the pedal crank. In fact, pros don't really sit on their seats, they instead use them to give them an idea on how high to squat while riding, and to provide rest when going downhill. Expect to feel every single bump in the road, my tires are at 120-125 PSI, with no suspension. Also another reason you don't entire sit on the seat. xD

Anyway, I've gone on way too long about it, and I'd rather not have to keep typing and ranting.

wordage

Exactly, the windows experience index is nothing more than some haphazard hardware rating tool. Both you and I know that there's way more that can explain a hardware component's performance than a single index rating. Two different components can get the same rating, but have different performance capabilities under different applications. (applications, not like computer applications. Ok, well maybe those too.)

To this day, I STILL find nothing wrong with "Minimum system requirements" on the side of PC game boxes. If someone is too much of a fuck-wit to know if they are able to play Crysis on their PC, will they even know how to play it or install it? Or howabout effectively managing the computer?

I find the lack of interest in trying to understand technology to be a complete loss for many people, and it's that sorta thing that causes these things. :\

ANYWAY, WEI should be treated as nothing more than an approximation, and using the old way of knowing if stuff works is prolly best.