Author Topic: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance  (Read 470309 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance
« Reply #840 on: June 23, 2008, 04:55:51 AM »
To this day, I STILL find nothing wrong with "Minimum system requirements" on the side of PC game boxes. If someone is too much of a fuck-wit to know if they are able to play Crysis on their PC, will they even know how to play it or install it? Or howabout effectively managing the computer?

I do, for the simple reason that I got burned repeatedly with it.

My old system was just under a couple of the recommended requirements for Oblivion and matched it in other ways (Oblivion recommended a P4-3.0, 1GB of RAM, GeForce 6800; my old system has a P4-2.8, 1GB of RAM, and a GeForce 6600GT).  The "required" hardware is only a P4 2.0, 512MB of RAM, and a "128MB Direct3D compatible video card."  Basically, they're saying that you can allegedly run Oblivion with a GeForce FX.

It was unplayably slow.  Even with everything turned down as far as it can possibly go the system couldn't maintain a stable, or even playable framerate.  It was okay when walking around, but it would drop down to as low as 5-10fps whenever more than a single enemy would come on screen.  Oblivion even manages to cause my new system to stutter occasionally, moreso than Crysis!

Black & White also fucked me over several years ago.  When that came out, my system was well over the recommended requirements.  The game slowed down so badly at some points that, if I were to guess, it wasn't pushing more than 10fps.  What's worse, B&W relied on mouse gestures.  It was literally impossible to do them with low framerates.

Nothing like having to wait several years to be able to play games because the developers/publishers flat-out lie on the back of the box.

Thankfully, not all companies are sleezy with their system requirements.  Quake and Quake II both "required" a Pentium to run, yet they ran acceptably on my old 486 (Quake II definitely ran worse than Quake, of course).  My laptop has some pretty low-end graphics hardware (RADEON X300) and it was able to run Unreal Tournament 3 at a smooth framerate with the default settings.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #841 on: June 23, 2008, 04:59:14 AM »
So basically, is it Microsoft's job to ensure that computer illiterates are protected from software manufacturers that don't correctly specify minimum/recommended requirements?

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #842 on: June 23, 2008, 05:03:07 AM »
No, but they took it upon themselves to help matters and they did, just not as much as they probably intended to.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #843 on: June 23, 2008, 05:21:31 AM »
No, but they took it upon themselves to help matters and they did

Well, except for the part of the limitation, right?

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #844 on: June 23, 2008, 05:23:57 AM »
Exactly.  They gave the system roughly two years of life with the hardcore games.  The indie and casual gaming markets won't have any issues with that system, though they don't typically exceed 2.0 anyway (that said, I'm curious to see what Peggle requires...I'll have to check that out when I get back home :P).

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #845 on: June 23, 2008, 05:26:39 AM »
Should the limitation become more of a problem in the future, would you expect Microsoft to issue an update on Vista's SP2 or SP3?

Also, sorry for shitting in the lame replies thread, guys. xD

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #846 on: June 23, 2008, 05:32:09 AM »
I think they'll probably do something about it.  Not sure exactly what, though.  Maybe put systems that hit 5.0+ through tougher additional tests that boost the score over 6.0?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #847 on: June 23, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »
Basically, they're saying that you can allegedly run Oblivion with a GeForce FX.

It was unplayably slow. 

I feel your pain. I hazard a guess that my system (512 or 768 MB ram, I think, it was a P3 866 mhz, and an Nvidia Geforce FX 6200) ran oblivion at all lowest setting at an average of 4 FPS.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #848 on: June 23, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »
right, im pretty proud of this.

i encounter a barricaded necrotech facility, break down the barricade, groan to the building(basically telling the zombies around said building to enter), enter the facility, bite/infect 5 people, and im out of ap for the day.

as i log on today, i see that the horde of zombies in front of the building had open access to the building because of me, killed all of the survivors, and ruined the building. 

im kickass  8)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 04:37:10 PM by vladgd »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 25, 2008, 11:33:26 PM »
That is pretty beast, even tho I'm not sure how that game is played. Also my sister has a working Mac laptop, and still uses the only other working PC ALL DAY, FOR LIKE, 3 DAYS all because she's doing math homework. Even tho 50% of the time it looks like she's watching random videos off of youtube and just generally dicking around on the internet.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:57 AM »
I feel like an idiot. I punched my thigh to see how hard I could punch, and now I have a decently-sized bruise.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

mysticsnake

• Hi guys I'm mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:03 AM »
I feel like an idiot. I punched my thigh to see how hard I could punch, and now I have a decently-sized bruise.

Well done! I was dunking my hand in 190 degree water getting nozzles out at work it was a good time.

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: June 26, 2008, 01:49:12 AM »
My friend's tire went flat while coming back from Get Smart [note: go see this movie], and he didn't know how to change a fucking tire, so me at 5'10 200 and him at oh idk 5'8 and LIGHT, I have to fucking change the tire cause his scrawny ass can't break the lugs.

oh, relative to the pain part: TIRES ARE HOT.

D:
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #853 on: June 26, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »
Hah, I am better at loosening bolts than my friend, who is about the same height as me, and like 200 lbs (and I'm about 130-145 depending) :/
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 26, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
Well done! I was dunking my hand in 190 degree water getting nozzles out at work it was a good time.

Good god, why would you do this? Also on a slightly related note about discomfort, I recently trimmed my armpits, and I must say, it's not a fun time.

Also ohshit, it's mysticsnake.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:34:45 PM by MortifiedocAlot »