Author Topic: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance  (Read 480520 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance
« Reply #1185 on: August 05, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
So weeds seems like an interesting show. Also at my friends house we found a small Tupperware thing full of a shrimp and a pill bottle, and in the pill bottle was more shrimp. Then about 10 seconds later we found in his freezer a dead frozen snake. Eventful night.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1186 on: August 05, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »
Weeds is an awesome show.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1187 on: August 05, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »
As far as hardware is concerned, pretty much the only things they can do are A) browse the web (on a tiny as fuck screen), B) Word processing/other office type things, C) play music and D) play oldschool games like Doom, or something that takes basically no hardware requirements (because anything that requires much of a computer will never work on one of those things, and with a screen that small, who would want to play those anyway?)

The Asus Eee is a more capable system than the laptop I had in 2002 and even that system could run UT2004.  Have you even bothered to look at the specs on it?

Really, the only thing holding it back is the size of the SSD, but that's also one of its strengths -- less power and no moving parts.  Also, the 1000-series is going to have 40-80GB of space, making that virtually a non-issue for most uses.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1188 on: August 05, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »
But would you really WANT to play UT2k4 on a screen that small?

Anyway, I couldn't really keep the specs for those things straight, but the way I see it, it's great for people who can't afford laptops, or people who need a small ultra-portable computer to type things up and such, and that's about it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1189 on: August 05, 2008, 07:40:55 PM »
Okay, first off, knock it off with the straw man arguments.  You claimed that the device is underpowered.  I believe I've successfully proved that it isn't with my example.  Don't twist it around to push your arguments about the screen size.

Secondly, the point of an ultra-portable isn't to use as a daily system.  They're designed to be more convenient and portable to lug around than laptops, which the ASUS Eee is.

Third, your argument that tech-savvy people wouldn't be interested in them is far from the truth.  I want to buy one simply because it would be an excellent system to use SSH with.  Also, it would be a lot more convenient than my mammoth laptop (also, I should mention that buying a working battery for my laptop is a third of the cost of an Eee 900) for when vyhd wants to play with OpenITG.  Not to mention that if you wanted to do wi-fi "security tests" on peoples' home networks (in a PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE fashion, of course) it would be considerably easier to use an Eee than a full laptop.  My laptop is just plain inconvenient when I use it in cars, an Eee would be absolutely perfect.

It uses a full installation of Linux so you can pretty much do anything with it.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 05, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »
Third, your argument that tech-savvy people wouldn't be interested in them is far from the truth.

If by tech-savvy you mean trend whore then of curse they would love the latest, smallest gadget.

Then about 10 seconds later we found in his freezer a dead frozen snake. Eventful night.

and by snake, I don't mean a a small one hat crawled into his freezer, I mean a foot and a half boa in a plastic bag frozen solid. Good god.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 06, 2008, 12:34:25 AM »

and by snake, I don't mean a a small one hat crawled into his freezer, I mean a foot and a half boa in a plastic bag frozen solid. Good god.

What the hell was a boa doing in the freezer?  Is someone trying to play a live version of MGS3: Snake Eater?

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 06, 2008, 01:33:16 AM »
It uses a full installation of Linux so you can pretty much do anything with it.

Well, yes, it is Linux. But the stock OS is a tad limiting unless you go through the hoops to get full writing access (which I did), though it would probably be easier for you since you have more experience with Linux than me. Also, it's really only limiting with its GUI. I can open a terminal and get full root access without a problem.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:44:25 AM by annon »

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 06, 2008, 01:50:37 AM »
What the hell was a boa doing in the freezer?  Is someone trying to play a live version of MGS3: Snake Eater?

I suppose, his mom is crazy. Also shit, now I HAVE to listen to the MGS3 theme.

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: August 06, 2008, 02:00:18 AM »
But your so suuuupreeeme

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1195 on: August 06, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »
It has it's uses, but how many of those does annon plan to use it? Essentially, it sounds like he's buying a $400 typewriter.

Sure, I'd rather one of those than a full fledged laptop for going to school. I would use it for the same thing: Browsing the web in class, and typing up my notes, and doing anything else a computer might help in class.

However, I would never use it for anything else because I happen to have a home system more than capable for what I want. I have my own SSH server built on my 1TB NAS hardware, so it's not like I need any extra systems as a server.

Sure, the Eee has it's uses, but for a $400 typewriter, it's still a bit much.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: August 06, 2008, 02:23:18 AM »
I am indifferent what I have seen for the Eee PC.

I mean it would be nice to have a FUNCTIONAL laptop that doesn't need to pluged into the outlit 24/7 and the fact I could run games like Doom and Quake just fine with out any problems.

Then again $400 could get me a decent upgrade on my dad's old computer.

Like I said indifferent.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1197 on: August 06, 2008, 03:37:35 AM »
It really all depends on whether or not you have a use for an ultra-portable or not.  That's basically what it boils down to.

I really wouldn't mind having it just for its size and convenience (you've seen my laptop, Omni :P), not to mention that it probably wouldn't make any noise whatsoever.

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: August 06, 2008, 03:49:37 AM »
True.

I mean it seems like a cool ultra portible laptop considering mine (and how much it is a pain Spec) that I could use it for school and what not.  Considering (if I read correctly) that it has a Linux distro and me still being fairly new to linux I wouln't mind it. 

Then again I woulnd't mind using Vista if I had the time and the machine to run it.  Considering a co-worker who told me about the whole Mohavie thing Microsoft did...very sneaky of them.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 06, 2008, 04:46:14 AM »
I will note one major downside to the stock OS: Before being able to strip away all the stuff I wasn't going to use, I had to do all of this: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:removeunionfs

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}