Author Topic: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance  (Read 481254 times)

vladgd

Re: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance
« Reply #1320 on: August 17, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »
yeah, you did what i like to call "taking it out of proportion"

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 17, 2008, 04:08:05 PM »
it's really a silly thing to get annoyed about.  So somebody looked online at a FAQ?  Square's just giving them a small bonus for being that dedicated.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1322 on: August 17, 2008, 04:09:47 PM »
I'll admit, walkthroughs, FAQs, and players guides have really ruined the concept of hiding little goodies for dedicated players :(

Still, be angry at the people who make the walkthroughs and FAQs, not the people who designed the game!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 04:11:45 PM by Rowan »

vladgd

« Reply #1323 on: August 17, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »
wellp, im not really angry, its just a pet peeve.  you simply took it out of proportion in that last post there. 

to re clarify

stating "i do not like it when games do that"  =/= FUFFUFUFUUFUFUCKCKCKCKCKCKCK I WANT TO SKIN MY DOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1324 on: August 17, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »
Still, be angry at the people who make the walkthroughs and FAQs, not the people who designed the game!

Why?  The people who design the game are the ones who practically coerce people into looking up walkthroughs so that they don't miss some of the stuff that's been mercilessly hidden for no reason whatsoever.

It doesn't matter if they're needed to complete the game or not.  Designing secrets (especially one-shot ones) in ways that are so obscure that it prevents anyone from getting them without the aid of a strategy guide is just *drumroll, please* bad design.  Secrets should be obscure, yes, maybe out of the way, but not virtually impossible to discover.  Final Fantasy VII and VIII probably had the best methods for hiding powerful items out of all the newer Final Fantasy titles.  They were sometimes hard to get to, but you certainly didn't need a strategy guide to find them.

Acquiring Siren in FF8 is probably the best example I can think of.  It's not something that jumps out at you (hence the reason a lot of people miss it) but it's not something that's so obscure that you should need to look it up at any point in time.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1325 on: August 17, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »
Yeah, games hiding a one off item that's pretty much the best in the game and requires you to have looked it up on an FAQ and then ground your way up like, 10 levels in an area not designed to be grindable, is just fucking gay.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 17, 2008, 07:01:32 PM »
Well lets take a look at Chrono Trigger as an example.

I mean after you get Robo you could fight Lavos and get one of the 12 endings for it.   Not to mention you have to be near the end of the game to get some of the most powerful weapons in the game.

Not to mention if you didn't have a stratagy guid or a FAQ you could totatly miss Magus who is rather powerful (pretty much close to Chrono) but not really needed.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1327 on: August 17, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
Magus isn't that hard to get really. I forget exactly what you need to do, but it wasn't that difficult to figure out. Plus, the game was made to have more replayability than most other RPGs are designed with.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1328 on: August 17, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »
but not really needed.
that's my whole point about this entire topic

everything that's missable I've listed is entirely unrequired to beat the games that they're in

Who care's if it's the best weapon and it does over 9000 damage, do you *really* need it?  For example, you don't need the Moogle Charm or the Ragnarok sword to beat Final Fantasy VI; an item that lets you evade all random encounters, and the second-best sword in the game.  Missable?  Definitely.  Obscurely placed?  Not particularly.  If anything, the Moogle Charm makes it more tedious to beat the game if you use it too much, and there are fucktons of other decent swords everywhere.

An offender from that exact game that comes to mind, though, is the Paladin Shield.  It's only minorly hinted at how to break the curse, if I remember, and you're never told that it teaches the spell Ultima once the curse is broken, so you may end up accidentally grabbing the Ragnarok esper instead of the sword if somebody misinforms you.  Seeing as all of this shit is entirely optional, though, it doesn't matter that much.

vladgd: sorry i jumped all over you, dog :(  <3 friends?

bobbias: to get Magus, you follow him up a cliff and choose not to kick his ass, pretty much.  I think you have to choose one of the two options for the story to continue, anyway.

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 17, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »

bobbias: to get Magus, you follow him up a cliff and choose not to kick his ass, pretty much.  I think you have to choose one of the two options for the story to continue, anyway.

I think you can get him before or after you bring Chrono from the dead.

vladgd

« Reply #1330 on: August 17, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
vladgd: sorry i jumped all over you, dog :(  <3 friends?

its k, we b thuggin busta.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:35:41 PM by vladgd »

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1331 on: August 17, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »
its k, we b thuggin busta.
tite, g :)

Omega: Hmm, I thought you had to fight him or recruit him before you revived Crono, and if you fight him, he dies forever.  It's been a while since I played the game, though.  Lolz.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1332 on: August 17, 2008, 07:39:02 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure that you have to chose 1 of the 2 options to continue. Which makes it a lot less "obscure" and more chancy, and hell, if you know you can get him in your party, and you fight him there, and he's dead, then next time you play through, you're probably going to not fighting him.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 17, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »
Rowan: Yeah I forgot as well so I am re-playing it as we speak...yay for ZSNES.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #1334 on: August 17, 2008, 08:24:24 PM »
Rowan: Yeah I forgot as well so I am re-playing it as we speak...yay for ZSNES.

Obviously you have the original official cartridge.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.