Author Topic: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance  (Read 469867 times)

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
Re: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance
« Reply #1350 on: August 18, 2008, 06:09:51 PM »
Same, apparently a friend has an open house for a while, so this should provide a decent amount of fun. Also I really need sleep.

Yeah, that sounds awesome. You're luckier- you're a lot closer to the point of landfall than I am ;_;

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 18, 2008, 07:00:25 PM »
Yeah, that sounds awesome. You're luckier- you're a lot closer to the point of landfall than I am ;_;

Indeed, hopefully I can get some people to go to the beach with me.

Also my friend started downloading doom (on my PC) and I asked him if it was a 8 it or a 32 bit game.He says something along the lines of "nah man, it's like a 3 bit game" which I found rather amusing.

Also also anyone here try S4 league? From what I heard it's like gunz minus the glitch exploitation and it's apparently all around better.

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 18, 2008, 11:41:05 PM »
Vista's backward compatibility is incredible...I'm running FF7 for the PC on my computer flawlessly (this game was made for WINDOWS 95).

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: August 18, 2008, 11:45:41 PM »
So I'm moved into my dorm, have my computer set up, and am at band camp for all this week (classes start next Monday). This is awesome.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 19, 2008, 12:39:14 AM »
I am going to miss going to school but at the same time am kind of glad that I am not going.

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #1355 on: August 19, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »
I quit marching band... my friends all just got done with band camp and stuff. I actually got to keep my free time ^_____^

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1356 on: August 19, 2008, 01:03:20 PM »
Vista's backward compatibility is incredible...I'm running FF7 for the PC on my computer flawlessly (this game was made for WINDOWS 95).

Pssh, don't try to tell that to Vista haters!  There's no way they'll believe you.

Really, Vista running FF7 is particularly impressive because FF7 is quite possibly most sloppily coded piece of ported garbage in existence.  Do be sure to download and apply the Chocobo patch, because otherwise the game will always crash on the Chocobo races.

Also, if you're running the 32-bit edition, download and play Executive Suite.  It's a fun game, runs fine on Vista, and is older than almost everyone here.  The 64-bit version of Vista lacks any sort of 16-bit support, so it won't run on that unfortunately.
"This is a machine for making cows."

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:22 PM »
How is Vista with the different Emulators Spec?  IE: ZSNES, the Playstation emulator...ect

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1358 on: August 19, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
As good as any other Windows OS is.  If I had any serious issues with things like that I wouldn't be using it as my primary OS.

Vista's "poor" backwards compatibility is little more than a widely-spread exaggeration.  Most of the issues that people have are from applications that aren't aware of UAC (which is essentially Vista's equivalent of "sudo") trying to write in areas that unprivileged users don't have access to.

Also, newsflash: my Crysis review is finally live.

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 19, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »
Huh...sounds like Vista is somewhat simpler and more complicated at the same time.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1360 on: August 19, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »
It's hardly more complicated.  UAC is a one-click affair rather than requiring a password like OS X and sudo (though it can be configured to require passwords, or it can be set to be active but configured to automatically bypass the prompts).

As far as it being complicated for application developers, it really isn't.  Any well-designed program from around 1995 and newer should work with it.

Windows NT came out in 1993 and supported privilege separation (meaning that programs written for it should assume that, like with Unix, that users only have full write access to their home directories) but the Win32 API that it introduced only really kicked off when Windows 95 was released.  Shell folders and the registry were supported as far back as that to ensure proper interoperability with Windows NT systems and user profiles, meaning that there's absolutely no excuse for programs to write data files into their own directory (which is the main thing that causes problems with UAC).  Microsoft's been stating that in their guidelines from the very beginning and, if developers actually bothered to read through them, there wouldn't be any compatibility "issues" with Vista.  The only reason that there are problems is because of third parties.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 19, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »
So I've been playing Duke Nukem 3D again and I must say, it's awesome. I'm rather surprised by the amount of things you have to do just to beat a level. Also the difficulty seems just right, other then those dumb lazer mines everything is perfect. I'm just annoyed at how the strafing works, if it were more like a modern shooter it would really help.

Also yes, I pretty much agree with the Crysis review, other then the difficulty curb. That game pretty much gives you useless powers and forces you to shoot with the same 2 or 3 different guns through most of the game. I must say, probably one of the better vehicle uses in a game, even compared to halo. I also remember seeing something about being able to shoot the rocket pods on a helicopter to make it blow up, or shooting the gas tanks on a tank to make it stop, but I never got either to work (shooting a gas tank on a tank will make it blow up, but he tank will still move and shoot at you). Hell, even GTA SA let you sniper helicopters in the prop to make them crash, and that game had some of the worst fighting and gun play I've seen.

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 19, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »
Pssh, don't try to tell that to Vista haters!  There's no way they'll believe you.

Really, Vista running FF7 is particularly impressive because FF7 is quite possibly most sloppily coded piece of ported garbage in existence.  Do be sure to download and apply the Chocobo patch, because otherwise the game will always crash on the Chocobo races.

Also, if you're running the 32-bit edition, download and play Executive Suite.  It's a fun game, runs fine on Vista, and is older than almost everyone here.  The 64-bit version of Vista lacks any sort of 16-bit support, so it won't run on that unfortunately.

Thanks for the info.  I just downloaded the patch and I'll give that game a shot :).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1363 on: August 19, 2008, 07:04:22 PM »
Also yes, I pretty much agree with the Crysis review, other then the difficulty curb.

In all honest it might have been because I was getting mindnumbingly bored with the game, but it seriously felt like the enemies were scoring far more "lucky hits" than they did at the beginning of the game.  It seemed like they were sending out larger forces, too, which was definitely a Bad Thing(TM) considering how many bloody bullets it takes to stop them.

I must say, probably one of the better vehicle uses in a game, even compared to halo.

Argh, I forgot to touch on that...

My favorite thing to do with the vehicles in Crysis is take control of the mounted machineguns and cut down trees. 8)

Thanks for the info.  I just downloaded the patch and I'll give that game a shot :).

Not a problem. :)

The game is a bit primitive, obviously.  It's all text-based with simple ASCII graphics, but it should amuse you for a while.  There's quite a bit you can do in it.

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #1364 on: August 19, 2008, 07:52:45 PM »
Windows NT came out in 1993

Hey, I used to have that. That was my first computer, an NT 8)

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE