Author Topic: Dumb Drivers  (Read 44956 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Dumb Drivers
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
Downtown toronto driving. Even without traffic, it is horrible. Confusing intersections, random 1 way streets, etc. :/

Sounds like Niles, OH.  It's rare when I find myself in an area where the roads are so terribly designed that it's painful to drive.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »
Nothin' quite like having an old lady tailing you and blinding you with her highbeams when you're already going over the speed limit.  Ugh.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2009, 08:09:42 PM »
Slam brakes, or just steadily decrease your speed and watch them shit themselves in rage.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2009, 08:19:20 PM »
I just waved at her while flashing her a big, shit-eating grin.  I don't even have my license yet, I don't need to go causing wrecks just yet.  xD

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »
Nah, you wouldn't be causing a wreck. You'd just be pissing some old broad off, and proving that just because they drive like an asshole doesn't give them the right to do what they want.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2009, 12:23:20 AM »
Oh, I don't believe I've ever mentioned the accident I got into in detail.  I shall do that now because of two reasons.  First, the guy who hit me definitely qualifies as a "dumb driver."  Second, it proves that driving laws in many areas are broken and idiotic.  Third, it proves that insurance companies are money-grubbing scumbags who take advantage of the fact that getting car insurance is the law.

So I was taking a break at work.  It was back when I was still a caffeine fiend, so I was picking up a couple of lattes (one for me, one for my coworker) from a Sheetz gas station (it's kind of like Wawa, for those of you that have those...made to order food and drinks, yadda yadda).  I was making a right turn out of the gas station as I was leaving when the vehicle that was in front of me suddenly started backing up.  I laid on the horn but, long story short, the moron slammed into me, making a huge mess of the front end (pushed the hood several inches out of whack, jammed the head light door down, destroyed several assorted plastic and metal pieces, ruined my bumper).  He was obviously going pretty fast when he hit me; it's amazing my airbags didn't deploy.  The police were called, took both of our statements, when the state patrolman dropped a bombshell:

I could have been cited for negligence because I was pulling out of a private lot.  Also, it is apparently perfectly legal to drive in reverse on a public road, on a highway no less.

Thankfully, the cop didn't cite either party because the person who hit me was clearly an idiot who wasn't paying attention to what the fuck he was doing, but it still pissed me the fuck off that he got off scot-free for driving like a reckless idiot.

Fast-forward to the insurance snafu.  The idiot tried to get my insurance company to pay for the damages to his stupid van.  My insurance company did its own investigation and apparently told him to fuck off.  His insurance company did their research and wanted to pay me for the damages to my car (funny how that works).  Given the age of the car (1995) they basically told me that they'd total it out.  I didn't plan to do that unless they gave me a very good figure.  Despite the body damage, the car still ran great, and I drove it for a couple of months after the accident.

I wound up getting a new car in August -- essentially a newer and slightly different version of what I had (I went from an automatic gold 1995 Saturn SC2 to red 2002 Saturn SC2 with a manual transmission) -- and kind of put it behind me.  Several months later they finally give me the final verdict: they considered me 40% at fault for not psychically knowing that their moronic customer was going to needlessly back up on a public road.  Never mind the witnesses that saw the entire event, the security camera footage, the logical implications of that sort of thing, the fact that the other driver was doing something blatantly reckless, or any of that.  It was partially my fault that somebody hit my car.  Needless to say, the implications of that are just horrid.  Basically, as a result, they took the totaled out cost of $2600 (which would have been a nice payment on my current car) and turned it into about $1100 (which certainly wouldn't buy a car that ran as good as the Satty).  Needless to say, I told them in polite terms to fuck off.

Meanwhile, my dad fixed up the old Saturn, putting almost no money into it, and made it look better than it did when I got it (it had some body damage when I first got it -- he fixed it up).  Looks nice (the passenger side headlight door is still a bit wobbly due to the accident damage, but that can be fixed with a few more repairs), drives nice.  What's the point in junking a car that's better than 90% of the shit that comes out now, and gets better gas mileage than most of the hybrids that are out now?

You guys know what the saddest part about the entire situation is?  I could have gotten the full money -- and probably additional money for bodily injury -- had I just punched it into the road.  If I were completely in the roadway when the idiot hit my front end it would have been completely his fault.

Now let's think about that for a second.  That basically means that if I pulled a dick move and punched it onto the road I would have been in a better situation than I was.  Granted, that probably would have destroyed my car, but I would have probably been able to pay for a good used car with cash with the settlement that I got when I sued his stupid ass.  That's a great thing to teach people; doing something stupid and reckless might just prevent you from having to pay for another person's reckless actions.

Do I even need to go on anymore?  Simply put, the laws are fucked up, the insurance companies try to fuck over their customers (and their customer's victims, in this case) as much as they legally can, and some people shouldn't have their license.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2009, 05:46:31 AM »
Wow, traffic laws there are fucking stupid. Thanks to the Highway Traffic Act, IIRC, backing up on a road is illegal. Not to mention even if it isn't, if you back into someone like a fucking idiot, the cops are going to say it's your fault, or at the very least no-fault it if you also did something wrong.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2009, 06:52:47 PM »
So I was riding my bike the other day and there was this woman in front of me.  I wanted to make a left turn at a 4 way stop sign so I stopped behind her in the left side of the lane and waited for her to go.  She didn't, and had no signal lights on, so I pulled up to the left side of her, signalled for a left turn (I saw that she was talking on her cell phone, UGH), stopped, and then turned.  She turned left right after I did and was practically riding my rear tire.  Then this self-righteous pedestrian ethnic lady criticized my biking skills after I finished the turn.  Was I doin it wrong?  Also, fuck cell phones. :(

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2009, 06:55:32 PM »
Some what related:  I got off work earlier today (otherwise I would not be posting this) when I was walking across the parking lot and some cocktwat was flying through the parking lot, slammed on his brakes, rolled down his windows and told me "What couldn't see my car?"

I am glad that Ohio pedistrians have so much rights when it comes to the right-a-way of things ><

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »
Interesting facts about Ontario driving laws:
We recently passed a law prohibiting the use of cell phones in car (there's a provision for headsets and such, I dunno the details on that).
Pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way (as in, there is NO EXCUSE if you hit a pedestrian, period).

I can't think of anything else, but if I notice anything in what you guys post that's different, I'll point it out.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »
There are laws against using cell phones and headsets in cars here, but some fools don't care. :-[

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2009, 01:42:58 AM »
Some what related:  I got off work earlier today (otherwise I would not be posting this) when I was walking across the parking lot and some cocktwat was flying through the parking lot, slammed on his brakes, rolled down his windows and told me "What couldn't see my car?"

The dude must be from Maryland or Florida or something.

You should have just stood there just to aggravate him.

Pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way (as in, there is NO EXCUSE if you hit a pedestrian, period).

What happens if the pedestrian does something incredibly stupid?

My uncle hit a kid once because the idiot suddenly ran into the street.  Would my uncle have been held responsible under Ontario law for the kid's fuck-up?

Oh, speaking of that, here's a fun thing about the idiotic seatbelt laws.  After that incident happened, the first question that the officer on the scene asked him was whether he was wearing his seatbelt.  Amazing.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2009, 02:57:25 AM »
Well, there are always provisions for people being fucking stupid. Most of the decisions of who's fault an accident is are done on a case by case basis. But the point being that if someone decides to say, cross an intersection as the light is changing to let people go the other way, and is in the middle or the road at the time it turns green, you are still required to let them cross before you can go. You do not have the right of way over a pedestrian in a situation like that.

The main point of that law is that think about it: pedestrians are not made of metal. They don't have crumple zones, airbags aren't standard, and they are severely under powered, and therefore unable to get out of the way. You'd hurt a person much more than another car.

But of course, if someone was an idiot and jumped in front of your car leaving you no time to stop (like, physically was inside the minimum stopping distance of your vehicle) or something else unexpected, stupid, or (especially) deliberate, they would be at fault, because they know better than to disobey the rules of the road.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2009, 06:23:22 AM »

The main point of that law is that think about it: pedestrians are not made of metal. They don't have crumple zones, airbags aren't standard

Speak for yourself!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2009, 02:29:20 AM »
Well, there are always provisions for people being fucking stupid. Most of the decisions of who's fault an accident is are done on a case by case basis.

Okay, good.  That was my only real concern.  The way you made it sound it was like hitting a pedestrian -- regardless of whose fault it is -- would put the blame on the driver.  I'm glad to hear that isn't the case.  If it was, it'd be like the whole "private lot" situation I had to deal with -- a blanket case that only aids the people who are too stupid to breathe.