Author Topic: I almost died from cringing at this  (Read 11305 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: I almost died from cringing at this
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 02:41:57 AM »
In other words, "welcome to the Internet, motherfucker." :P

I know in a lot of ways flamewars like that demonstrate the difference that age and experience can make (in many cases, anyway...some people are just assholes or incredibly immature). It's kind of strange to think that some of the people coming into the scene are about as old as we were when we got into the community many moons ago.

Regarding the admins being cocks, one major reason for that in a lot of cases is that the wrong people end up getting promoted. Sometimes you get lucky, but in a lot of cases you get people who are either unwilling to do the job properly (i.e. they don't want to moderate their friends' posts), go on an epic power trip the second they get the powers, or both! I've seen plenty of mods get all buddy buddy with regulars and shitcan new members right out of the gate. Not mentioning names, but a few of the mods on a0.com were very much in that category.

Long story short: a lot of people stubbornly refuse to admit that successful forums need to be run in a relatively professional manner. That doesn't mean that you can't have fun, but you have to be consistent with the rules and you can't be afraid to tell people that they're acting like a fucking prick.
"This is a machine for making cows."