Author Topic: My Windows networking dilemma.  (Read 15903 times)

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
My Windows networking dilemma.
« on: May 11, 2008, 07:44:49 AM »
So, I'm trying to install apache, mysql, and php on my server computer, "upcompy". It's connected to mine, "m33p3r", via Cat5 from NIC to NIC. Windows is able to bridge the connection from wireless card to network card to upcompy.

upcompy ---> m33p3r ---> router/modem ---> interbutts.

However! When windows does this, my router doesn't even know that upcompy is even on the network. upcompy still gets internet, and can share network files and such fine, but gets an obscure IP: 192.168.0.187.

I set my router to lease DHCP addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200. So, it seems that windows on m33p3r has used its own DHCP server and is leasing addresses from 192.168.0.x.

So, now that you know the bit of background info, here's what I'd really like to do. I want to be able to have upcompy get its address designated by the gateway (the router) by 192.168.1.1, and have port 80 not jacked up and blocked. (in before i need to forward my ports.. I know, I'm trying.....)

So really, I want to have nearly the same effect as if upcompy had its own wireless card slapped into it. Can this be done?

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: My Windows networking dilemma.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
I don't think anyone but spec can answer that one... I'm not a fan of connecting NIC to NIC like that. Why can't you connect upcompy into the router directly, and not have to worry about that?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »
You're going to have to use static IPs on both upcompy and the interface on m33p3r that it's connected to.

Set m33p3r to an address that's not in the DHCP pool, like 192.168.1.2, then set upcompy to another address outside the pool (like 192.168.1.3), then set the gateway and DNS server for upcompy to the one that you set m33p3r to.

The thing that happens when you use the Internet Connection Sharing in Windows is that it sets up a DHCP server, DNS redirection, and a gateway.  Doing it this way basically takes the DHCP server out of the equation and allows you to configure it manually.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »
Yeah, I figured it was going to be something similar to that anyway, but I didn't know for sure.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »
Alright, let me try giving that a shot. Oh, and since this is my thread, I'm going to shit in it for a second. Check it out: http://osnews.com/story/19731/The-25-Year-Old-UNIX-Bug

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 03:35:36 PM »
Check it out: http://osnews.com/story/19731/The-25-Year-Old-UNIX-Bug

Wow, that's really amusing, actually. XD

Wonder how long it's going to take Apple to get around to releasing an update for OS X...2010 is a good year, methinks.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:20:52 AM »
Trying to make it work, spec, still no luck.

There's like 5 different places I can specify IPs to use...

Wireless connection, and local area connection (regular/alternate) for m33p3r and local area connection (regular/alternate) for upcompy. :[

I've tried my best so far to do what you suggested, but upcompy loses connection. (On a side note, then I lose the remote desktop connection and have to switch out a monitor and mouse/keyboard. (lol i need a kvm switch.)

edit: PS spec I see you're online... So if you had a random craving to hop onto an IM client, that would be pretty cool, indeed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:23:15 AM by Zakamiro »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 05:02:31 AM »
I'm kinda drifting in and out of consciousness right now (having a hard time sleeping and I need to wake up early...ugh), plus I don't have anything IM-related installed on here (on XP, Linux, or Vista). :x

So, basically, it works, but then upcompy drops the connection randomly?  I've seen that happen with my work laptop and, sadly, I don't have a fix for it.  I thought that it might have just been an issue with something that Nielsen installed on that system (since using that system to connect through my personal system worked great).

How fresh is the Windows installation on upcompy?

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 07:04:36 AM »
nearly brand new... Heh. It can connect to m33p3r fine when windows does all of the configuration, but when i screw with it, dropped.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:08:49 PM »
Wow...weird.

Does m33p3r work when you plug it in directly?

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:44:31 PM »
I don't know, I haven't tried it. But yeah, I ended up just buying a wireless card for upcompy. Hopefully this will fix everything. haha.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 12:57:48 AM »
Whoops, I meant upcompy in my last post, heh...YOU CONFUSED ME.

But yeah, do tell how well that works.  I didn't have much luck with wireless when I was using it temporarily (though my card might have been junk, I really don't know).

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 01:36:03 AM »
honestly, the card makes all the difference.. router too. The card I have now is aaight, it's an ABS, and this next one is made by MSI. The reviews are really good on both amazon and newegg for it, so I gave it a go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M5U9GI

and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833158017

This KVM, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107601 and mouse adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZQG24

Turns out when I bought the wireless card I was short for free shipping by a single cent: http://i28.tinypic.com/2nm26us.png I called Amazon's customer support and asked if they could charge me an even $25 or just enter a promo code or something to increase it to qualify. Or hell, even just give it to me. The CSR refused to help, and told me that I had to buy more things. Over a fucking penny. Apparently, a penny is valuable enough to potentially lose customers over.

But yeah, I'll make an update when it all finally comes in (Unlike newegg's ridiculously cheap two-day shipping, amazon does ground shipping.. So it will be a while).

I'm curious to see how my huge amassment (word??? still makes sense, though) of cables will be when it's all done)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 02:30:31 AM »
Turns out when I bought the wireless card I was short for free shipping by a single cent: http://i28.tinypic.com/2nm26us.png I called Amazon's customer support and asked if they could charge me an even $25 or just enter a promo code or something to increase it to qualify. Or hell, even just give it to me. The CSR refused to help, and told me that I had to buy more things. Over a fucking penny. Apparently, a penny is valuable enough to potentially lose customers over.

Wow.

Good to see that an outdated, unappreciated (by all but TimJing) unit of currency can still make or break you. ::)

But yeah, I'll make an update when it all finally comes in (Unlike newegg's ridiculously cheap two-day shipping, amazon does ground shipping.. So it will be a while).

Newegg's ground delivery typically gets to me within a day.  If I order something before noon it generally gets to me the next day.  Every time I've ordered something on Friday it's gotten to Laurel, MD on Saturday (9 miles, mind you) so the only thing stopping me from getting it on that day was the fact that UPS doesn't deliver on weekends.

I love living in Maryland for that fact alone. :3

I'm curious to see how my huge amassment (word??? still makes sense, though) of cables will be when it's all done)

This is all computer-related, so take what you think it's going to be and double it.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 11:05:37 AM »
This is all computer-related, so take what you think it's going to be and double it.

Then you'll have a conservative estimate :P

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x