Author Topic: My Windows networking dilemma.  (Read 15585 times)

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: My Windows networking dilemma.
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »
needs an update...

ok, so I installed the wireless card into upcompy, at the cost of its gaming card (midi/game port + sound card). Best wireless card ever. Never drops a connection, and the signal never goes below 97% (most of the time it's at 100%) Anyway, as much as I could go on about how much I love the card, let's get to business.

So, apache runs fine and all that jazz. I can see my crappily-made html pages fine on the network on ports 80, 81, 8000, and 8001. (just a little something better than the default "it works!")

Here's the problem.. My windows machine is refusing the connection. v.v Ports are forwarded and all that, but windows just keeps giving me a big ol' F U.

I have dyndns set up. troutlair.homeunix.net So yeah, help'd be great.

Edit:

Oh, I forgot something that COULD be the reason.. Check it. My modem/router lists this:
Pinholes

external pin-holes (190 available):
pinh[0]: id 207/71.146.131.37, proto 6, sess tout 86400, pinh tout 0, arg 0 natpt|user
  l: 192.168.1.2:50000, n: 71.146.131.37:50000
pinh[1]: id 206/71.146.131.37, proto 6, sess tout 86400, pinh tout 0, arg 0 natpt|user
  l: 192.168.1.2:17414, n: 71.146.131.37:17414

No pinhole for 192.168.1.3. Pinhole 0 (lol off by one) is m33p3r's forwarding for Azureus, and pinhole 1 for soulseek. whats the deal, yo.

Second, my router says upcompy is at 192.168.1.100 but upcompy says it's at 192.168.1.3. :\

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 03:57:41 PM by Zakamiro »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
Lots of ISPs block ports like that (80 and 81 are usually holed off, as well as ones in the 8000 series sometimes, most notably 8080).  If I run services like that I generally put them on totally off-the-wall ports.

And what...pinholes? XD  Wow.

Was upcompy ever on DHCP?  If so, the .100 is probably a leftover lease.  Just ignore it and you should be fine.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 03:02:24 AM »
Installing FreeBSD as you read. Fuck trying to convert a windows xp machine into a server. It's just not efficient enough.

Disclaimer:  Not to say XP is bad, but it's like running a sprint in hiking boots.. It doesn't work. And neither would hiking in track shoes. (although, that could be pretty awesome.) Just different things, for different purposes. amidoinitrite, spec? :P

Edit: Oh, and it's because XP died. It just loops "Sorry for the inconvenience, XP failed to correctly start" or whatever, and gives me the options for safe mode (+[networking, command prompt]), last settings that worked, or normally. You know what the hell i'm talking about.. Why am I explaining it. Anyway, no matter what my choice is (even safe mode) it loads a little bit, then bam. Reboot. So, I somehow got corrupted system files... And with no XP cd offhand and no safemode to redo the core system files, I just thought, "fuck it. It's just trying to show me that I'm even more overdue to switch."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:07:39 AM by Zakamiro »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 03:29:40 AM »
If I wanted to make a Windows box a server I would have stuck with Win2K3.  It's XP with most of the flair disabled by default (including sound support...heh), some kernel upgrades (lol NT 5.2), and a bunch of server-centric stuff added.  XP has many of the same components but their feature set is dramatically stripped to cater to your average home user (which you are certainly not).

Pointless trivia: Windows XP x64 is not based on the 32-bit XP, but rather Windows 2003 Server x64.  The internal kernel version is 5.2.

FreeBSD would be tons better than XP for server usage, but do keep Windows Server 2003 in mind if you want something that's ridiculously easy to set up (and I mean easy: I set up a pair of Dell servers, set them as Active Directory servers, set them up for file sharing, and set up a DFS root between the two of them in the course of a day, most of which was done completely by ear).

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 03:57:59 AM »
I'll definitely keep it in mind. But, bear in mind (WATCH OUT A BEAR! ITS GONNA EAT YOU), upcompy is a savage, 368 Mhz, 256 MB, 40 GB HDD, gaming machine beast. That's right. MEGA HURTS. Not your sissy-boy giga-crap. THIS IS MEGA. 256 MEGAbytes of PC 166 SDRAM. THATS RIGHT. ONE HUNDRED SIXTY SIX. yep. And that's not even some faggoty double data rate or dual channel. SINGLE CHANNEL, SINGLE DATA RATE. I keeps my shit integrated, fuck your giga'd doubled shit. I'm all about my SINGLE MEGA shit. HELLA single. HELLA integrated. BITCH.

Also, quadcore? WHAT THE FUCK. Bitch, my shit's so legit, I don't need 4 cores to use the computer. I use one. FUCKING ONE can get the job done versus your 4. YOU FAIL. HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA.

Also, vista sucks because I said so, and the fact you use it daily means nothing to me. FANBOY 4 Lyyyyyyyyyyfeeeeeeeee. Also, XP never had compatibility issues. Worked seamlessly since it was released. Yep. (windows 98, too.) (even 95.)

Edit:

Windows 3.1, too.
All seamless since their release. This is why THEY DONT ISSUE PATCHES, DUH. Idiots. Why can't people understand that every single application and software ever released always works perfectly? Yeah, I bet you're one of them, aren't you. ARENT YOU.

Edit edit:

They call it mega because it's more awesome than giga.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:01:31 AM by Zakamiro »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 05:40:45 AM »
XDXDXDXD

Shit dawg, you got me...

* Spectere pulls out a few DOS 3.3 install disks.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 07:38:58 AM »
I'mma need some help configuring rc.conf and all that good stuff... Surprisingly, freebsd did a totally kick-ass job of detecting the card right away, and scanning for available SSIDs. However, I do need to configure it for WPA-PSK TKIP, and freebsd's documentation gives ath0, when it's ral0.. When I try ral0, it freaks out on me. =o

Tried googling, and everyone just gives advice on how to to install THEIR card. ok, well that's fine, but I don't use any of their cards, and their documentation is too convoluted for a rookie like me to use. If you're familiar with it, spec (or anyone else), any help would be totally killer.

Edits and more parentheses:

I'm using freebsd 6.3, and my wireless card is an MSI PC60G.

I'd also need to use the DHCP server... My stupid fucking ancient piece of shit router/modem/gateway/cowpie doesn't allow for static IPs to have the DMZ. Even your even more ancient linksys wrt54g can do that. Ugh. So yeah, WPA, dhcp, and yeah. That's basically the required info, except for the ssid being jorge and the psk being jjorgelgm. Oh, and the wireless card chipset manufacturer is Ralink, chipset RT2561/RT61. Hope any of that can help. I'd like to sit and fuck around with it more (all night/morning/day/evening), but I'm sleepy, it's damn near 5 am, and tired of having to fuss with my kvm hotkeys and vi. (as in, there's no incompatibility between the kvm and vi. I'm tired of fussing with each in their own respect. ok, seriously why am I typing this? :\)

Anyway, thought I'd post an update (?) on my progress, and see if i could get any help while I got a few little tidbits of shut-eye. Call/IM whenever/whatever if you can/if you want wtf/done doing/this.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:01:31 AM by Zakamiro »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
I never touched wi-fi in FreeBSD, to be honest.  I skimmed over it when I was deciding whether to install it on my laptop or not but never really did anything with it.  From what I've seen it's not even as refined as Linux when it comes to that.

Wish I could say more, but I've got to start working kinda now-ish.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 06:21:46 PM »
fuck yes, got freebsd to work with my wireless card. It was actually pretty simple to do... Just had to find the right manual to make sense of everything. Ended up using 4 different manuals to piece together the solution. :>

More suprisingly than anything else, I am completely astonished that freebsd had everything it needed to run my wireless card. Anyway, I'm installing apache/php/mysql now. lol FAMP. I'll update soon.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 10:36:58 PM »
fuck yes, got freebsd to work with my wireless card. It was actually pretty simple to do... Just had to find the right manual to make sense of everything. Ended up using 4 different manuals to piece together the solution. :>

Ugh, yeah, that was one of the things that kind of turned me off to LappyBSD.  The wi-fi support isn't nearly as tightly integrated as Linux's is (wpa_supplicant is the shit).

Anyway, I'm installing apache/php/mysql now. lol FAMP. I'll update soon.

Install PostgreSQL instead of MySQL.  What acronym would you get then, eh?

...giggity.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 02:18:28 AM »
(wpa_supplicant is the shit).

Actually, that's exactly what I use.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »
Ah, neat.  I didn't know that worked with FreeBSD.  That kinda makes me happy.

Speaking of FreeBSD, I've been putting some thought into bootstrapping a system with the FreeBSD kernel, ala Linux From Scratch.  Should be pretty neat-o.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 02:55:41 AM »
Ok, great news!

FreeBSD is installed on upcompy!

:DDDDDDD YAY!

Apache is up and running, wireless card configured. wget installed. (I love wget. Dog Bless GNU.) Have my dyndns update client configured, and DNS's pointing together right.

www.brentfest.net -- CHECK IT OUT. IT FUCKING WORKS. ITS MY FUCKING HOME SERVER ON THAT SHIT, MANG.

Anyway, looking for ideas on what to host on it. UUuhhhhhmmmmmm.....

I still need to make ddclient, apache, and dhclient start at boot time. And, while minor, change my networking preference to use subnet mask 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.255.255.255.

Need to install mysql/whatever spec recommended and php. maybe UnrealIRCd, anope. yep. rad.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 03:06:58 AM »
Oh, don't install Postgre.  It's another SQL server...MySQL is better supported by PHP scripts.

I was just implying that if you install Postgre instead of MySQL on a FreeBSD box, you'd wind up with FAPP as upposed to FAMP.

Yes.  Lame. :P

Also, why would you want to change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.255?  Single-host networks are great fun!

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 04:01:28 AM »
Also, why would you want to change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.255?  Single-host networks are great fun!

Were you being sarcastic? >.>