Author Topic: Email clients  (Read 5061 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Email clients
« on: May 24, 2008, 01:19:01 AM »
Best? I'm currently using Thunderbird, switching from that hefty ass outlook a while back.  Any others out there worth trying/ mentioning.. I just need to be able to do the basics. Send/Receive, attachments, all that. Preferably one that also features a hotmail/http plugin or app so I can also get my hotmail thru it.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
Re: Email clients
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:15:01 AM »
I've tried a couple different desktop mail clients, and gave them an honest try, but I just prefer the online clients like Gmail. It's one less program to use and you have to be online to get new messages anyway :/ Gmail allows you to reroute all emails from other accounts to Gmail if you don't like the interface for Hotmail or Yahoo.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:34:51 AM »
I use Thunderbird occasionally for newsgroup posting (news.povray.org, on occasion) and have used it a little bit for e-mail (only with my s.net account, really, because ISPs seem to love to provide their clients with absolutely terrible webmail interfaces).  I mainly use Gmail for my stuffage.  Google also provides a very nice cell phone client, so if you want to check your e-mail on the go (and have a data plan and J2ME capable phone at your disposal) that's the way to go.  The mobile Gmail client supports the keyboard on my Blackberry 8300, so I'd say that if your phone has a keyboard it'll probably work with it.

I use Outlook for all of my work stuff.  It's pretty nice for enterprise type stuff, but it's complete overkill if you just want to use it as an e-mail client.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 07:34:26 AM »
I use Gmail myself. I noticed all the options for rerouting emails through it, and even being able to use your own client for it if you prefer, but I've never seen a need for it. If I had a need, I'd probably go with thunderbird, but as it is, I agree with Sqthreer's view.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 11:31:09 PM »
only with my s.net account, really, because ISPs seem to love to provide their clients with absolutely terrible webmail interface

If you're talking about *@spectere.net, I just forward all of those emails to my gmail inbox and set up gmail to be able to send from Z@Zakamiro.net (it's my default outgoing email addy)

I NEVER use 1and1's webmail thing.. what a piece of crap. In fact, I was almost tempted to turn over the mail dns for my domains over to gmail.. The services they offer for domain mail management was pretty nifty. But yeah.

Sorry sneakster, didn't mean to derail your thread-- but to answer, I don't use a program to manage my email, i just click my gmail notifier on the bottom corner of my firefox, and bam. email. (or gmail)

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »
Thanks for all your input, I was just trying to get a second view as to what is available when it comes to email viewing/clients. I think I'm going to stick with Thunderbird, as I need it to act as quickly as possible, and unless there is a way for Gmail to check with my Ionet account every minute like Tbird does, then I'm sticking with it.

Anyone know of an option like that, lemme know :P
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 01:17:28 PM »
If you're talking about *@spectere.net, I just forward all of those emails to my gmail inbox and set up gmail to be able to send from Z@Zakamiro.net (it's my default outgoing email addy)

Gah!  No, I get enough spam on my Gmail account as it is. :P

unless there is a way for Gmail to check with my Ionet account every minute like Tbird does, then I'm sticking with it.

You can set up Gmail to check POP3 accounts, but I kind of doubt that it'll do as good of a job as Thunderbird.  I haven't used it myself, but it looks like it's all manual.  If it were automatic, it couldn't give pop-up notifications like Thunderbird does anyway.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:25:21 AM »
Spam, in my Gmail?

Honestly, I get about 1 spam email a month, if that, that actually makes it through my filter. I've got 1000+ unread spams in my spam box. And 2500+ unread emails in my inbox. Thanks to the automated thread subscription on di.fm, as well as the numerous automatic emails I've subscribed to. A grand total of 9512 emails in my gmail account. 165 MB total size (including files I've sent to myself and such.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x