Author Topic: Mp3 Player Discussion Thread (formerly recommendation thread)  (Read 15908 times)

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
Since I lost my iPod a while back, I've been using a CD player, and it has reminded me why I got an mp3 player in the first place, so it's time to get a new one.

What I'm looking for is something that's NOT an iPod (I just was not all that satisfied with it, honestly) and has at least a 30 gig capacity. Video capability is a plus, too. I'm hoping to get suggestion from people with experience with them, but if you've heard good things about any particular one, let me know.

THANKS Y'ALL

I have gotten maself a Zune, and I am quite pleased. Thread is now a general mp3 player discussion.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:33:18 PM by Sqthreer! »
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
Re: Recommend me an mp3 player
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 03:05:38 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

After doing a little browsing, I came across this one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855102035

I know it only has a 16 gig capacity, but looking at my iTunes, the music I actually listen to in my library would easily fit. The fact that it has an FM radio is pretty awesome, too.

Anyone have experience with this thing?
 - Alexxx

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:06:07 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855228017

I bought this little number, and I've been well satisfied with it. Costly, but if you plan on watching any sort of video/recording video, it's well worth it.

It also comes in a 30 GB version:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855228016

Honestly, I just don't know where the hell the competition is against the iPod anymore. It's a shame, really. =\ Is it just me, or do people seem to like to use crappy things? (in before I'm a fanboy. If anyone wants reasons, I'd be happy to supply them.)

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:10:23 AM »
And that one looks pretty good, IMO. I usually add the 5 eggs and 4 eggs and determine a letter grade off that percentage. (84%, B)

Small and portable, and if it can hold everything you got, then that's all the better. I'd like to use something like that, but I have way too much music, and I actually listen to most of my collection. (last.fm says otherwise because I tend to listen to different crap when I'm on the go than sitting in my chair on the computer....)

also, double double post.

lol cheeseburgers. double double is the name of a cheeseburger from in n out, for those of you that dont have them where you live.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 03:35:45 AM »
That one you posted looks good, but it's a little out of my price range :[
 - Alexxx

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 04:28:38 AM »
yeah, well.. The one you're lookin' at is pretty good looking, too. I'd check out cnet and see if they have reviewed any mp3 players in your taste/price worth buying. (perhaps I'll go look myself.. hehe)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 07:18:08 AM »
My GF has a small Creative Zen mp3 player, and it's pretty good. I haven't found any real faults with it, aside from maybe the screen being small, but the one you're looking at seems good.

Personally, I'm gonna wait another year or 2 before getting one, so that I can get one with a decent size that doesn't cost a fortune. (Let's put it this way, I've got somewhere around 350-400 GB of music, and growing. I hate being limited by a couple GB.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »
I have about 60 gigs of music, but only actually listen to about 16 of it. I just like to collect different stuff.

EDIT:

So I checked out this review on Cnet, and the Zune actually looks kinda nice. It's pretty damn cheap for it's capacity, and seems to be nicely feature-rich.

One thing that worries me is the DRM thing. I haven't really been keeping up exactly on what that whole deal is with it, and this line on the Cnet review in particular is questionable: "does not support older WMA-DRM9 music files"

Anyone mind explaining this to me?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:22:39 PM by Sqthreer! »
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »
Unless you're buying stuff from the Zune Marketplace, or happen to have some WMADRM files, the DRM will not likely mean anything to you.

It supports DRM files, but doesn't force you to DRM everything you stick on it.

Essentially, the Zune supports DRM so that any store that is compliant with the Windows Media Digital Rights Management specifications (the new versions anyway) should play on it (albeit if you ARE downloading DRM's content, make sure it's from someplace that will actually work on the thing, as it is not compliant with the "Plays For Sure" standard, and cannot play many DRM'd files from lots of different online stores).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »
i use a 2 gig ZEN

does the job just fine for me

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »
Unless you're buying stuff from the Zune Marketplace, or happen to have some WMADRM files, the DRM will not likely mean anything to you.

It supports DRM files, but doesn't force you to DRM everything you stick on it.

Essentially, the Zune supports DRM so that any store that is compliant with the Windows Media Digital Rights Management specifications (the new versions anyway) should play on it (albeit if you ARE downloading DRM's content, make sure it's from someplace that will actually work on the thing, as it is not compliant with the "Plays For Sure" standard, and cannot play many DRM'd files from lots of different online stores).

So I guess what I'm wondering is, will my music library (which is all in mp3 format) work without problems on the Zune?

i use a 2 gig ZEN

does the job just fine for me

I wouldn't even be able to fit my Aphex Twin collection on that :p
 - Alexxx

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »
Your music library will work perfectly fine in your zune. I have the first gen 30 GB model, and I've had no complaints. With the firmware/software updates they've done recently, it has made it alot better. M$ [or at least the zune team] doesn't want to leave the old gen people out. When new features come along, we get them first.

For example, wireless syncing. Have a wireless network? Let zune find it, get on it, connect to your pc, and get new songs that way. I've yet to perfect this, but to someone, this has got to be real useful.  Something they did in a firmware update also helped with the battery life [i think this had to do with the FM transceiver being on ALL the time instead of just when you want radio.].

I've got a mass of music as well, and recently cleared my zune out from when I first got it and just dumped albums and albums and artists into it, taking a more scrutinized look at what went into my zune, because I was tired of skipping over things I didn't really listen to.

The zune charges via a usb cable [proprietary, of course], through your computer or even xbox 360, which obviously you can plug into and play your collection through your 360. I don't have any docks or anything, but some that I've seen are very nice and useful as well.

Zune? I recommend it. I had a 10GB zen micro or something like that before this, and I was happy with it. Now that I have the zune, I don't want anything else. I'm sticking to this mp3 player, possibly upgrading to next gen in the future.

Hope this helps
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
That helps a lot, thanks :D I'm pretty convinced I'm getting one. And I heard a lot of people complaining about the proprietary USB thing.. what is it and why does it suck?
 - Alexxx

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 06:50:02 PM »
Same thing for the ipod, you can't use any other USB cord to charge it. Either use zune's included, or a 3rd party knockoff.  I just prefer my devices to have some kind of universal charger, but with the ipod and zune, it's not available. Not much of a problem though, just don't lose it :P
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:18:12 PM »
Oh psh, is that what all the fuss is about? I understand the usefulness of a universal charger, but personally, I think I prefer having one that belongs only to one thing. Even if it was a universal one and I lost it, I'd still have to buy another. How many people have, and use, multiple mp3 players?
 - Alexxx