Author Topic: Music Gaming Accomplishments  (Read 350478 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Music Gaming Accomplishments
« Reply #840 on: October 20, 2015, 10:09:50 PM »
Nice one!

I managed to play on a real DDR machine while I was in Maryland recently and got a few decent scores:

Freeway Shuffle Challenge was a sightread, so I'm really, really surprised to have SDG'd it, especially seeing as it's a 12 (it would have likely been a hard 8 or easy 9 on the old scale).

La Señorita Virtual was surprising. I never really played that all that much (I basically just played it once on Extreme just to say that I AA'd it and called it at that), so getting 7 on that out of freaking nowhere was pretty exciting. I did manage to nearly FEC it on pad (with one miss...grr) on StepMania with ITG timing fairly recently, but DDR's marvelous and perfect timing are still quite strict (marvelous timing is equal to IIDX's Just Great timing, and Perfects are in many cases stricter than IIDX's Great timing). This one was also a 12 (8 in the old scale).

The MAX 300 one definitely made my day. My previous best on 300 was 24 greats. I really wish I could have pushed it into the teens, but considering how long it's been since I played religiously, I'm very happy with 21. Also, in the new DDR grading system, I was fairly close to a AAA on it (you no longer need to full perfect combo the song to AAA it--you just need to get 990,000 points. So yes, I was extremely close to a AAA on La Señorita Virtual).

I also had a pretty good run on IIDX in the same day, but I didn't really get any noteworthy scores there. I am starting to "get" the IIDX AC timing, so yay for that. Also, that day did mark my first pass of fffff [7H] and Colors [7H] on an arcade machine, though, so that's good. I also got very close to passing Sigmond [7H] on a sightread. I could probably clear that with a bit more practice.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #841 on: October 22, 2015, 10:48:49 PM »
I had no idea DDR had a new grading system and all that shit.

also, VIDEOS:

sorry bout the sound and lack of 60fps in some of them. Still figuring out my recording setup.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #842 on: October 23, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »
Yep. They simplified it quite a bit compared to how it was on Extreme. The timing, of course, is as rough as ever, so getting an SDG on a reasonably difficult chart on my first attempt felt bloody amazing.

Oh, they also changed the extra stage system. You see those little stars under the letter grade on the first two pictures? When you hit certain conditions you get up to three stars (I think it's 1 star for an A, 2 stars for a AA, an additional green star for a full combo, and an automatic 3 for a AAA, even if you break combo). To trigger an extra stage, you need to get a total of 9 stars in a set. Additionally, modifiers are no longer locked, so I was able to do MAX 300 on extra stage (see third picture) with 1.5x, note, normal scroll. They also changed it to an Oni-style battery system instead of the old non-refilling lifebar. It's pretty neat!

For the record, that machine is a DDR X3 vs 2ndMix. Not sure what the machine originally was, but the pads feel very responsive. It's definitely not a Betson DDR X cab (fuck those things), so thank goodness for that.

And nice vids! Maybe it's just the relatively weak speakers on my SP3 (it is a tablet, after all...) but it didn't seem like those charts made a whole lot of sense. I'll have to revisit those with my studio cans next time I'm in my office.

And yeah, YouTube can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to getting HD and 60fps to work. If you want I can post my Premiere Pro encoding settings (they're the ones that I used for those IIDX videos). Not sure what you're using for editing/encoding, but it might give you an idea of how to configure your encoder to spit out stuff that YouTube likes.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #843 on: October 23, 2015, 11:57:49 PM »
audio quality was ass on those because SM's volume settings are lol broken (even 10% volume feels like 90%, not 10%) so it was clipping when OBS recorded it and I didn't realize until someone mentioned it. Also, Up All Night, Sakura and Niji no Kakera are all from Dump Parade, which is pure dumpcharts. I really enjoy dumps, quite a bit more than traditional files tbh.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #844 on: October 25, 2015, 12:52:48 AM »
Goes to show you how much of a difference speakers and environment can make. I was using stereo tablet speakers in a noisy environment, so I barely noticed the audio quality issues. XD I probably would have died a little inside if I were using my studio cans or my hi-fi system.

And yeah, I'm not too crazy about the concept of dump charts, though I understand that they're almost mandatory to raise the difficulty bar for keyboard charts. Considering even IDM has calmed down significantly over the years (even Venetian Snares is taking a more minimal approach with the newer stuff of his that I've heard) there isn't really all that much ultra-spastic technical stuff to chart.

Part of my disdain for it is most likely because everything I've done after a0.com closed has been pad charts. :P Dumpy pad charts are just straight-up miserable to try and play.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #845 on: October 25, 2015, 04:16:52 PM »
I actually enjoy dumpy charts far more than most other charts. I think part of it has to do with the fact that playability of patterns is extremely important in dumps. I mean, sure, there are some intentionally tough patterns, hard jacks, etc. but overall the structure and pattern choices are designed with playability in mind, rather than technical accuracy.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #846 on: October 27, 2015, 11:43:38 PM »
I think a large part of my love of technical charts is what ultimately made IIDX my rhythm game of choice (I don't really play StepMania on keyboard all that much anymore). Before I really went crazy over IIDX I tended to gravitate toward highly technical stepcharts.

Sometimes I do like playing somewhat dumpier charts, but I still find it hard to suppress my OCD. I'm not quite as bad as some, but I'm "That Guy" at the hacked ITG2 machine that will notice when the installed custom charts are a few frames off.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #847 on: October 28, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
For me it comes down to what feels good and fun to play. And I find myself enjoying dumpy and other less technically accurate charts more, most of the time. It's not that I have anything against technical files, I actually kinda wished that o2jam charts were more technical, but the less technical stuff just feels more physically good for me to play in many cases.

The other thing about dumpy charts is that since you have less technical direction to follow from the music, it really opens the doors for creative patterning and such in a way that is quite rare in technically accurate charts.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #848 on: November 15, 2015, 04:07:03 AM »
So I can still pass Delirium Expert on pad with, like, 85-86%. Holy shittin' wow.

I also just realized that thanks to my ability to pass Oi Punk 0, I can technically pass at least one 43 in Pop'n. I don't know why it got bumped up that high when Konami expanded the rating scale to 50, but I'll take it.  Just for comparison's sake, Beyond the Earth [H] is a 41 and I couldn't pass that (though I came relatively close).

I also passed my first 9 in Jubeat. Going from 9s to 10s is a pretty huge jump, but I think I can manage it with a little bit of effort. Not bad considering I've only played Jubeat, like, twice in the arcade. The iOS version really doesn't count (I can barely do 5s on it for some reason).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #849 on: November 16, 2015, 07:03:24 PM »
got a phone. Been playing some Deemo. Fuck I suck at it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #850 on: November 17, 2015, 01:53:04 AM »
I haven't tried Deemo yet, but Cytus is really good. It's by the same developer. It plays very similarly to DJMAX Technika, if you've ever seen that, except the bar moves back and forth on one screen instead of across two separate screens. Not sure how well it plays on a phone (I've only played it on my iPad) but with a decent sized screen it should be pretty enjoyable.

Groove Coaster is also quite fantastic. I highly recommend giving that a shot.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #851 on: November 17, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »
I also tried the love live game briefly. After I rooted my phone and changed my launcher it started giving me some japanese error that I haven't bothered to deal with.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #852 on: November 17, 2015, 08:57:18 PM »
A lot of games specifically detect rooting or jailbreaking and refuse to start as a way to help protect against cheating and/or piracy.

It's pretty obnoxious (and ultimately futile).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #853 on: November 22, 2015, 12:54:37 AM »
I passed Sigmund [7H]!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #854 on: December 14, 2015, 01:02:37 AM »
I passed my first 10 in Jubeat: AREA 51 [Expert]. Game is fun.

I played some DJ MAX Technika 3 as well and managed to do a bunch of 6-7s. That game has a pretty rough lifebar, but it's pretty fun.

I suck at KeyboardMania. It's actually kind of nice to not be at a difficult plateau on a Bemani title. I've been on 9's and 10's in IIDX forever.

Speaking of IIDX, I passed Sigmund [7H] on an arcade machine, which makes it more legit. I'm also definitely 6th Dan. Bloomin' Feeling [7H] fucking hurts. I'm finding that reading doubles on AC styles is becoming less impossible for me as well--I nearly cleared 5.1.1. [14H] earlier as well (screwed up on the last two measures, because of course I did).

Edit: 676549444570058753[/tweet]]I now have a PS2 KeyboardMania controller. Goddamn, I love that game. I suck at it, but I love it. I played the PS2 version a bit earlier and got a bit better at fingering (PHRASING). It's only a matter of time before I'm a fukkin' maestro.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:24:47 PM by Spectere »