Author Topic: Music Gaming Accomplishments  (Read 355151 times)

Milk Chan

• View Profile
Re: Music Gaming Accomplishments
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »
I got to the final stage (waxing and wanding [a]) on DD 9-dan. Tri chords suck but at least I can make it that far now.

Sucks because I might've passed since I had 80% finishing the first stage but kinda blanked out on the 2nd and went down to around 30% and stayed there basically.

Also I don't know if it's just me but Red has even more lenient timing than DD...even though it evens out because the songs are shit hard, I can barely pass any of the 8+s on [a] and there's even one 7 on [a] I can't pass (tell me more).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:28:40 PM by Milk Chan »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »
I really have to wonder why the timing in IIDX is always changing.. That, and why it's always fuckhard compared to pretty much any other rhythm game.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Milk Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 21, 2008, 04:20:04 AM »
I forgot I had my timing set to -2 after I played on a big screen and switched to a small screen lol.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #408 on: March 21, 2008, 06:19:41 AM »
Lol, well, It doesn't change the fact that the timing difficulty is different between different versions. I want to know why konami hasn't just said "ok, the next  couple IIDX releases will be at this timing, and after a couple, we'll re-evaluate the timing depending on the current player abilities to keep the challenge up"

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #409 on: March 21, 2008, 07:06:11 PM »
Lol, well, It doesn't change the fact that the timing difficulty is different between different versions.

Erm...no, it really isn't.  At all. :/  I can switch between any of the styles I have without issue (and regularly do within a single play session).
"This is a machine for making cows."

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 21, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »
I FINALLY cleared fly through the night [h] and snow [h]  ;D ;D ;D ;D </excessive use of smilies>
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:20:59 PM by cristian989 »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #411 on: March 21, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »
Erm...no, it really isn't.  At all. :/  I can switch between any of the styles I have without issue (and regularly do within a single play session).

Hmm, I thought there was... Oh well, I was wrong.

I still want to know why IIDX timing is so hard though.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »
Hmm, I thought there was... Oh well, I was wrong.

I still want to know why IIDX timing is so hard though.

To make a game with lasting appeal that's insanely hard/impossible to truly master.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2008, 11:45:27 PM »
Timing in the arcade is different on almost every mix because it shifts operating systems and whatnot. When they switched to Windows for 9th Style, it was NOT pretty. It was totally off. RED AC had different timing on different songs even. It just wasn't good.

CS IIDX has pretty much the same timing on every game since 7th Style. 6th had tighter windows. Pop'n's the game with different timing windows on each CS game (or even on different songs. Even has harder lifebars on some songs). That stuff gets ridiculous sometimes.

A lot of what makes people think the timing changes is because of the lane flares that happen when you hit a note correctly. 8th Style in particular has really tall lane flares that cover up some of the notes a bit. I guess that affects some people.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #414 on: March 22, 2008, 01:58:52 AM »
Yeah, I've found that the lens flare (or in o2jam, the animation :/) can sometimes really be a problem. If it obscures too much, I have a hard time timing things well.

What were they using before windows on their arcades?

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #415 on: March 22, 2008, 07:38:07 AM »
A lot of what makes people think the timing changes is because of the lane flares that happen when you hit a note correctly. 8th Style in particular has really tall lane flares that cover up some of the notes a bit. I guess that affects some people.

it sure as hell effects me, after playing 12th style(and then 13th, and 9th), i find it really hard to even think about playing 8th again.  i mean, i knew i couldn't read notes too well when i started the game with 8th, but it was only after i played another style that i could be positive it was the note flares obscuring my vision of the notes.  my skill got drastically better when i started playing 12th, but thats a different story.

played some 13th, still worse than i was some month ago.  i did end up improving several scores, but nothing major enough to remember.

*edit* hey something decent

go beyond [h] A

also, i just realised that i can activate sudden plus by hitting the start button twice

slowpoke.jpg
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:42:02 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #416 on: March 22, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »
What were they using before windows on their arcades?

A proprietary system.  They wound up switching to, IIRC, a P4 with a GeForce 4 MX.  I think that's one of the reasons that 9th style and up looks noticeably better.

They're now using Windows XP Embedded.  The timing issues were pretty much Konami's fault, as far as I can tell.  I haven't actually played on a IIDX cab, but I heard that the later styles were pretty on.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #417 on: March 22, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Cool. Though I wonder why they made the switch? I know windows Embedded is specifically made to me stripped down and run on lots of stuff, but I can't help but think that linux might have worked faster, and been smaller, lol. Any info on their proprietary system out there? I'm kinda interested in what they were running before windows.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Milk Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 22, 2008, 05:41:28 PM »
I passed Distorted's 9 dan. WHOO! Finished with 52% on Mint, 50 on Byakko, 20 on Tripping contact, and I don't know what on waxing and wanding. I knew if I could get past that mess of trichords before the long pause I could beat it.

And a few days ago I passed Scoprion Fire 7k. Shouldn't be too long till I get my first 12 passed :D.

I've also learned the pain of the Slake [a] Expert course. Even with level 1 game dfifficulty and easy on I can't pass the final stage. Gambol [a] sucks so much I wish there was another way to unlock it.

EDIT: I didn't know Kecak [a] was an 11 but I passed it with a B first try...just seems too easy to be an 11 IMO. And passed Wonder bullfighter [a] today.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 07:51:57 PM by Milk Chan »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #419 on: March 22, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »
Though I wonder why they made the switch? I know windows Embedded is specifically made to me stripped down and run on lots of stuff, but I can't help but think that linux might have worked faster, and been smaller, lol.

A lot of people always assume that, but by the time you add support for all of the hardware, X, solid graphics/sound APIs, audio/video codecs etc, it's going to be at least as large as a Windows Embedded installation.  Not to mention that the Linux ATI and nVidia drivers were nowhere near as stable as the Windows drivers at the time.  Even now they don't compare.  Windows is also much better documented than most open source projects are.

Also, I'm not sure you realize just how small Windows Embedded is.  There is a good reason that most PC hardware arcade games are based on it.