Author Topic: Music Gaming Accomplishments  (Read 355052 times)

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
Re: Music Gaming Accomplishments
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »

i tihkn im geting hte hang of this :)))

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2007, 02:49:04 PM »
Rofl, an MA like that and 1 CB and you get an A? Wow, that system is flawed.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2007, 06:17:06 PM »
Kuro: did you do those on pad or keyboard?  Regardless, nice start!  Most people don't have that kind of accuracy when they first start playing.

One thing that you might want to enable is "event mode."  I forgot where it is in the options menu (coin options, I think?) but it prevents you from having to keep going back into the song selection screen after three/four songs.

Rofl, an MA like that and 1 CB and you get an A? Wow, that system is flawed.

There's only 52 steps. :/
"This is a machine for making cows."

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2007, 06:22:23 PM »
Oh, so THAT's how you make it not take you back to the menu xD

I got my adapter from Play-Asia yesterday, so I'm using my pad (it's soft and absorbent!).  I've now gotten A on everything in the 1st Mix that has a beginner setting, except That's the Way and PARANOiA which are both B.  I tried a couple at the next-to-lowest difficulty but I don't think I'm enough of an SM Jedi to pull any of that off yet.  Also does anyone use characters lolz.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2007, 06:40:10 PM »
Heh, I never used characters. :P

Also, as you get used to reading the arrows and stepping to them a bit more you'll probably find yourself suddenly able to mid-level light charts.  DDR is weird like that.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2007, 04:18:34 AM »
When I began playing DDR on a pad/arcade, I played beginner, and was bored to tears. Played a couple rounds of light, and did OK (bad timing, but decent combo and overall score considering I was just beginning) and managed to pass MAX 300 Light after like, a grand total of maybe 10 rounds on it spread over a long time. (I think I played twice on the machine that I passed MAX 300 on, and a number of other times before that, but nothing close to recent even back then)

It's pretty easy to get the hang of, if you don't stand in the middle of the pad, like the retarded beginner dancer does. If you do, you're pretty much bound to fail anything beyond, oh, beginner?

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2007, 06:11:41 AM »
Actually, I was messing around and managed to do an easy 7 while centering myself after every step.  I nearly failed several times and found it to be ridiculously tiring, but it is possible. :P

Also, the beginner helper on DDR is just a bad joke.  Novice mode on ITG is the way a n00b mode should be.  c120 is a very managable reading speed, not to mention that it is designed to help you get used to timing your steps (using their traffic light system and the "way early" and "way late" timings, etc).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2007, 06:34:55 AM »
That's cool, I've never played an ITG machine, so I wouldn't know, and C120 is decent for a beginner, though I'd prefer something like C360 now, on pad.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2007, 06:45:09 PM »
Well, yeah...a beginner isn't going to be able to read c360, though.  I remember how hard it was to react to 300bpm the first time I tried MAX 300. XD

As far as pad reading speeds go, I'm most comfortable around 400-450 with no bar, 550-600 with.  The perspective mods are surprisingly useful because they keep the arrows spaced yet give the illusion of slowing them down.  For instance, I typically play Vertex^2 on 1.5x hallway.  I can still read the 555bpm section but have an easier time reading the slower segments.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2007, 12:00:35 AM »
Well, I tried MAX300 both 1x and 1.5x, and despite needing the bar at 1.5x, my score was a lot better. Now, I play most songs on pad at 320-450 maybe (the numbers are estimated around where my comfort zone is.)

I really wish I had more of a selection on SuperNova. It has a whole bunch of crappy songs, and only a couple good ones. I mean, it has Doll, Love Love Shine, Xepher, No. 13 and Murmur Twins, but it has all sorts of crap in with those. I mean, Dance Dance has the worst steps I've ever played in my life.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2007, 12:07:54 AM »
I've pretty much gotten used to reading at 400bpm with no bar.  Most of my MAX 300 AAs were 1.5x no bar.  The fact that I played that chart hundreds of times kind of makes it very familiar to me as well. :P

What kills me about SuperNOVA is that Konami has a bad tendency to take a pretty good song and trim out all of the good parts.  The IIDX crossovers are a great example of this.  They take out the best parts of some of those songs!  Xepher is probably the only crossover made during SuperNOVA's time that I can tolerate for that reason.  Most of the early crossovers (pretty much up to Extreme) are pretty good, as is DoLL, but they really dropped the ball on No. 13, Murmur Twins, AA, etc.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2007, 12:27:15 AM »
I really hate the way they hacked at It's Raining Men.  Seriously, if that song were COMPLETE, it would be way better xD

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2007, 12:41:42 AM »
Doll is one of my favorite songs on that. And Love Love Shine. LLS gave me a lot of trouble at first, it's a really tricky chart to learn at first. Murmur Twins is alright, but lots of the notes just kinda feel out of place. No. 13 and Xepher's charts are a pain for me.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2007, 06:32:56 AM »
I really hate the way they hacked at It's Raining Men.  Seriously, if that song were COMPLETE, it would be way better xD

Eh, cutting them down to 1:30-1:45 isn't so bad.  It's Raining Men is a pretty decent cut as far as that stuff goes.

If you've ever played the songs "AA" or "No. 13" on beatmania IIDX, then played them on DDR SuperNOVA, however, you'd want to cry.  Those cuts are particularly bad.

Doll is one of my favorite songs on that. And Love Love Shine. LLS gave me a lot of trouble at first, it's a really tricky chart to learn at first. Murmur Twins is alright, but lots of the notes just kinda feel out of place. No. 13 and Xepher's charts are a pain for me.

I found No. 13 to be rather boring.  Xepher is a lot of fun for me, though.  It's DDR-like in that they didn't step EVERYTHING yet ITG-like in the fact that Konami actually got a little brave and decided to use 16th notes heavily.  I'd say it's the perfect mix between the two styles.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 19, 2007, 03:11:52 AM »
I like AA's cut on Supernova because AA just repeats itself anyway.

Dragon Blade's the worst cut. It's missing the last entire 20 seconds.