Author Topic: My PS2 Fliptop questions thread.  (Read 6670 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
My PS2 Fliptop questions thread.
« on: June 24, 2008, 04:01:12 AM »
Ok, so I bought a PS2 fliptop. It's supposed to fit models from V4 to V8, and by all reckoning, I've got a V4. Well, I figured out how to install it, however, it doesn't fit very well, is that normal? It feels like I need to screw it in tight to get it to fit normally, and the side of the CD tray catches on the side of the fliptop case when it comes back in, requiring me to push it in a bit.

Here's the big problem: I'm getting disk read errors now. I've only tried 1 disk, but before I installed the fliptop, it worked perfectly. What the hell is going on?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: My PS2 Fliptop questions thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 04:47:16 PM »
I've a fliptop on mine as well, and I believe mine to be a v4. I can't get games to work[haha] but this is due to my own meddling and self attempted adjustment of my laser height [dont try this unless you need to.]  My CD tray cover has been removed since the dark ages because of the old cog trick, so mine wouldn't get caught on it anyway..

What site was it ordered from? A 'name brand' mod site or some piddly knock off with shitty page design and shit like that.. If it is for a different version of ps2, check their return policy and see what they can do in that regard.

As for the disk read errors.. Does the disc spinning up make a strange sound now? The only thing that comes to mind is that something internally may have shifted during installation.. just make sure all screws on the internal cover for the disc spindle are tight. Try a few other discs, reboot/reset all that good stuff.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
Well, I accidentally messed up my reset button, so I have to reboot to shut it off (the ribbon was where I was trying to screw into, and I didn't notice for a bit, so I damaged the wires in that part. The light still works, and the tray open/close button works fine though). It made some loud spinning/clicking sounds when we first stuck a CD into it, and now I don't hear anything when I stick a CD in. It pretty much automatically says disk read error.

I know nothing should be out of place, because I've pulled my PS2 completely apart before, and put it back together, and it worked fine then. The only things I changed with this were A) pulling out the reset/tray button assembly to put into the new case top, B) unscrewing the CD tray cover thing so that my fliptop would actually work, and C) moving the white plastic/rubber thingy that fits in the tray cover into the fliptop part.

I bought my fliptop from www.gocybershop.ca The website lists the fliptop as being compatible with V4-V7 (possibly a typo or something), and when it came, the pieces that went into it (the plastic mount for the reset/tray button assembly, and the other little pin thing that gets put in somewhere by the middle of the front) came in a plastic baggie that said "V4 - V8" on it.

everything fit where it should be, but the fliptop case itself felt a bit small for my PS2, just a little bit, but screwing it in more or less corrected most of it. One of the corners is still not completely down, which is why the try needs to be given a little push before it goes all the way in, but that's not a real problem.

So yeah, I have no idea what could have caused this, and I'll be seriously fucking pissed if I have to go out and buy another PS2 because of this shit.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »
What a conundrum D: I know exactly what parts you changed out, and honestly I can't see any reason why it's going HAHA at you.. The only slightly damaged thing doesn't even have anything to do with how the ps2 laser reads a disc.

Dammit. :<
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »
Yeah, this is honestly pissing me off, because I chose to go with a fliptop because I thought it'd be safer than trying to install a mod chip myself :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »
Yeah, this is honestly pissing me off, because I chose to go with a fliptop because I thought it'd be safer than trying to install a mod chip myself :/

thats the thing, it IS safer than installing a modchip.  i mean, its just taking off the original plastic top, as well as the top to the dvd thingy, putting on the new top, and calling it done.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 06:43:23 AM »
Ok, so I think I figured out what was going on. You know how you have to remove that white plastic/rubber thing and stick it in the top of the fliptop case (in some of them anyway, some of them come with it already in there now), well, apparently that thing is kinda necessary for the CD to be read properly. I put some pressure on the top when I heard the PS2 spin up the disk, and it sounded like the disk was not getting gripped by the platter well, and sure enough, once I held down the fliptop part, and the white part actually came down and clamped onto the CD, and it spun the disk properly, it would read. I've tried it with BMUS and FFX and both read now. I guess it's because the new case doesn't fit very well, but as long as I keep something relatively heavy on it while it needs to read the CD, I should be fine. Time to burn me some IIDX :P

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 06:48:27 AM »
Yeah, I was just going to mention the white pieces.  Some flip-tops (like mine) actually come with their own but the magnet on them isn't strong enough to hold the media down enough.

Also, your fliptop would have been designed to work with v4-v6.  Sony changed the screw patterns with the v7.  You can tell by looking at the bottom of the system -- the early models have 10 screws and the newer models (v7 and up) have 8.

Also, yes, fliptops are much safer to install than mod chips are.  The only thing you have to be careful of with the fliptop is that ribbon cable.  Mod chips for the PS2 seem to require at least 19 wires to be soldered -- far more than most other systems.  Even the Wii only requires four wires, in a pretty open location even.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 07:08:40 AM »
I've damaged my ribbon, as I mentioned earlier, but the tray eject/close button still works, and I found out I must have a v7. I thought i had a 30001, but it's actually a 39001 with a date code starting with U5. and yes, it has 8 screws, 6 in the fat bottom, and 2 on the short side.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »
Yeah, that's a v7.  That's a good thing; you won't have to keep adjusting the laser like you would on an unfixed v4.

Are you still having the issue where the tray isn't lining up right?  If I were you, I wouldn't even bother using that unless you absolutely have to (for in-game disc swaps and stuff).  Mine isn't horribly off, but it's off enough that it sounds like the motor has to do extra work to eject the tray.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 08:12:13 AM »
It's not got any problems with ejecting, but the tray catches a bit when it's trying to close. A very little bit of pressure on it is all that's needed to give it that extra bit to go in.

I actually am forced to eject it now, because I damaged the ribbon and my reset button doesn't work, so I can't simply pop a disk in through the fliptop and hit the reset button to get it to boot.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 08:23:42 AM »
Oh yeah...right.

You might be able to rig a switch up if you trace the connections.  That might be a better long-term solution than ejecting.  Also, I've seem PS2s with damaged ribbon cables do some really funky things, like randomly eject when you place your hand on the system (I'm not joking, sadly).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 08:25:57 AM »
Ouch. See, if I really wanted to, I could probably splice the connections back together. There''s a round indented part where I tried to screw a screw in and it happened to have the ribbon over the hole, and I didn't understand why the screw wasn't going in, lol.

I may end up doing something about it, if it's really necessary, but I'm usually pretty lazy about stuff like that. Most of the time my rigged solutions are pretty crappy anyway.

EDIT: and this is why my most active hour is 5 AM (with 8 AM following CLOSELY behind, and maybe even leading, after today). These crazy back and forth conversations at odd morning hours, lol.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 08:28:46 AM »
Those ribbon cables are really hard to salvage, so running individual wires might be the only real solution.  I dunno, it'd be worth a shot.  If it isn't too badly damaged you can probably do something with it.

Word of advice if you install another fliptop in the future: grab a little flashlight and shine it in that screw hole before you tighten the screw down.  That's what saved my ribbon.  It's really hard to see if you don't have a direct light source on it.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 08:42:58 AM »
Well, I looked down after a second to see if something was wrong, and I noticed it right away. I wasn't happy though :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x