Author Topic: Bittorrent is broken. Halp. (serious problem)  (Read 5883 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Bittorrent is broken. Halp. (serious problem)
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:30:43 AM »
Ok, i'm telling you guys right now that this is a SERIOUS problem. Obviously for me to have gotten as far as I have without figuring out anything about what's wrong, this is a big issue. I've been spending the last 2 days trying to figure out why my bittorrent will not work.

I've posted Hijack This logs, Rrocess Explorer logs and scanned my system with a number of scanners, such as Sophos Anti-Rootkit scanner, CWShredder, and Bull Guard with no luck. I've even used Wireshark to try to track packets (which came up empty, except some packets from msn).

Here's the deal: Every single bit torrent client I use fails immediately. The error message I'm receiving in uTorrent is "An Invalid Argument was Supplied". The java equivalent is "SocketException: Invalid Argument: connect". I've tried Vuze/Azureus, Arctic Torrent, uTorrent both V1.7.7 and 1.8 beta build 10431.

after I open uTorrent, when it first goes to announce to the tracker about 10 seconds after opening, it immediately gives me this error message. It affects every tracker and every torrent file and every torrent client. There is absolutely no network activity coming from it.

I've run the "netsh winsock reset catalog" command and rebooted, and nothing from that either. I just tried the "netsh int ip reset all" command as well with no luck.

I am quite literally at wit's end here.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:33:57 AM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: Bittorrent is broken. Halp. (serious problem)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:16:10 AM »
does it work on a different computer?

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »
If I had another computer, I would use it.

I have parts of another computer, probably more than enough to make one, but I'm sick and tired of doing that.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
Try throwing in a torrent-ready Linux LiveCD and seeing if that works.

Slax and the Transmission module should do 'er.  That'll at least rule out your ISP (with the lengths they've been going through to stop torrents lately, you never know if they might be the cause...and it is doing it with several clients).
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »
Thing is, I think it's something to do with window's networking, not my ISP, since I ran wireshark and didn't see any activity other than MSN at the time. I also don't have any blank CD's to waste with a linux live install.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

itsgravy

• Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »
Here's the deal: Every single bit torrent client I use fails immediately. The error message I'm receiving in uTorrent is "An Invalid Argument was Supplied".

I'm pretty sure your problem is in your tracker, which is separate from the torrent client (which would be why the different clients you've tried had the same error).  The tracker is meant to keep the different pieces of the torrents you are trying to download in order. 

http://thebeehive.info/?p=tlist

Is a list of different ones you can try.  Good luck, hope this helped.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »
Nope, not at all. I forgot to mention here (as I did mention in the uTorrent help forums) that it affects every tracker as well. Every torrent and every tracker, regardless of where I got it, what it is, etc.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »
Double post for an update:

After having tried a whole fuckton of different filesharing programs, all of which refuse to connect at all, I've got the sinking feeling that my ISP has blocked filesharing. I've heard of people mentioning programs for tunneling bittorrent and such, and I was hoping someone here (spec?) might know more about that sort of stuff in an attempt to get past what looks like my ISP filtering my P2P traffic. This is fucking ridiculous.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 06:00:12 AM »
Wait, are you behind a router or hub?

You had mentioned a home network in your previous post.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 02:31:12 PM »
I'm behind a router, too bad that it's a piece of shit and only forwards ports when it wants to. However, I scanned myself with a port scanner and changed things over to run on the ports that were in fact open. No change.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »
If you can set your computer as the DMZ, I'd give that a shot.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 06:28:03 PM »
See, the thing is, this isn't simply a problem with my port forwarding. I've had problems with port forwarding before, and gotten past them. Sure, my router is a piece of crap, but It generally eventually works. This is a problem I've never encountered before. Sure, I've had the odd time where I couldn't connect to something like Kazaa, or some other P2P network, but that usually has to do with the network sucking, and other programs will work. This is a problem with every P2P program I have, and is also fucking up Hamachi. This looks like a combination of shitty router AND my ISP interefering with me. I'm gonna send them an email asking if they have done anything with my internet, because if they have, I'm going to see what I can do to stop them. We are paying for the internet. The entire internet. And if they fuck with us, I'm the kind of person willing to fight back.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x