Author Topic: General Gaming Accomplishments  (Read 159461 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: General Gaming Accomplishments
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 12:06:47 AM »
Also, Mortifiedocalot, that gun freaking rules, seriously. Sure the damage isn't quite as great as the AK, but the rate of fire, accuracy, and general badassery of it makes up for it. Kicks the bullpup's ass for sure.

I haven't really used much of either to notice a difference, they seem damn near same to me. Only problem it has is it's way too weak for the money, rather get a galil or a famas.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 12:56:40 AM »
I almost exclusively use that weapon if I can, but it might just be because I love the scope. I never really got a hang of the galil, but I do use the famas regularly, burst is freaking vicious.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 01:57:02 AM »
I completed all of the races in the first two cups in Forza 2.  I also managed to push my VW Golf R32 up to a U-class car (its engine exceeds 700hp...wtf).  My TVR Speed 12 also exceeds 1100hp and is hard as hell to control now.

This is a testament that you don't need an Uber l33t gaming rig to still pwn n00bs.

"WHAT THE FUCK? I HAVE QUAD-CORE OVERCLOCKED TO 3.6 GHZ AND 8800ULTRA SLI! HOW THE FUCK DID I LOSE WITH 190 FPS?!"

I used to regularly play Quake 2 on a system that had a 2MB ATI Rage Pro and I did fairly well.  THAT is pain.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 02:17:47 PM »
Because after 60 FPS the monitor doesn't update any faster, lol. Unless they have a monitor that manages 70 or 72 FPS, but that's usually only at low rez.

Really? is their a way to find a monitors FPS cap? Also I find it funny that some kid said it's not worth playing with anything lower then 60 FPS. I guess he could somehow notice the difference.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »
Well, technically you won't see much of a difference visually between 30 and 60 FPS. The only difference is that if someone moves really quickly, you'll likely seem them move a portion of a second earlier because at higher frame rates.

Just because a game says it's refreshing at whatever frame rate doesn't mean that you can see it. A monitor has a set refresh rate, which means that (usually) ever 1/60 of a second, whatever the game reports is going on, will be displayed. When a game reports it's frame rate, that's how fast the game can update what should be shown on the screen, but that doesn't mean that the screen is displaying every frame that the game is. It simply takes a snapshot of the video info and displays it every update.

The reason you don't see any flickering when you look at a screen is because any image you see tends to stay on your eyes for about 1/5 of a second (IIRC), which means that all the images from the monitor are overwriting each other within that time frame. If you were to have a monitor refreshing at 5 frames a second or slower, you can very easily see a flickering in it. In any case, between 0 and 30 frames a second (game frame rate) you can see the game be choppy and stuff. Above 60 FPS, unless your monitor's refresh rate is set to 70 or 72 FPS, then you won't see any difference.

All of this is assuming you have V synch on (which means the game only updates it's screen when the monitor is supposed to, it prevents issues like tearing and takes some of the stress off your video card and processor).

If you want to see what your monitor is capable of, you need to go into the advanced video settings stuff (you know, the stuff for your drivers instead of the windows thing), and try to change the refresh rate settings. Of course, make sure that it asks you to confirm that it's working, since if you set the rate too high, your monitor will go black, or display an error. Usually 70/72 Hz refresh only works with the low resolutions.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 03:30:38 PM »
The refresh rate depends on how your system is set up and how good your monitor is.  My LCD can sync with refresh rates of 75hz at any resolution (pretty good for an LCD, from what I've seen) while my CRT can hit up to 160hz depending on the resolution.  Saying that 70/72hz only works on lower resolutions is very much inaccurate nowadays, though -- the bottom-of-the-line Dell 17" monitor that I have syncs at 100hz at 640x480.  I think the only resolution that doesn't allow refresh rates over 60hz on that display is 1280x960/1024.

The refresh rate matters more on CRTs than LCDs because it determines how quickly the electron gun sweeps the screen vertically.  Depending on the person, some people may see a noticeable flickering on screens with a 60hz refresh rate.  Outside influences can affect this, such as lighting, how sick or hung over you are (I was a little headachey after my 22nd birthday party and 60hz refresh rates were extremely noticeable to me), etc.

All of this is assuming you have V synch on (which means the game only updates it's screen when the monitor is supposed to, it prevents issues like tearing and takes some of the stress off your video card and processor).

Having vsync on is actually more demanding on hardware than having it off.  It forces the renderer to have to more accurately time the frames to the refresh intervals.  So, despite the game being forced to run at a reduced framerate, it can still end up running slower than it normally would if it were left uncapped.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 03:49:23 PM »
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Reducing how often the game renders, which can really affect things if it runs at a high frame rate (free all the rendering time for other operations, essentially) but i don't know the efficiency of the synchronization system, so I dunno if that actually works.. I was guessing there :/

I can see 60 hz flicker in my peripheral vision. Also, I said 70/72 works on lower rez because that's how one of my monitors worked... I havent bothered working with this monitor to see what it could do.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 06:27:07 AM »
faster response rates = more monitor fps? My 19"w has 5 ms, and my 15" has 16 ms. Wonder what difference that would make.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »
Probably not much, by faster it's only like, well, 10 ms there. 10 ms is so insanely small unless we're talking about SM...

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 07:30:37 PM »
What exactly is the timing window for a marvelous?

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 10:30:26 PM »
22.5 ms if I read this correctly.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 11:23:59 PM »
shit son, that means that I have to hit the arrow at least 17 ms before my monitor shows it up. Not only that, but keyboard lag, too. Actually, it wouldnt matter all too much because the stepfile was made to accommodate such lag. =o

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 02:12:40 AM »
Well the thing is, we are already trained with the monitor lag in mind, so we perceive no difference because the ideal place for us to begin pushing the button is determined by playing, not by watching it go to the right spot, we use our ears, so we can hear when to hit it, and use the screen as a visual guide as to which button to press, or at least, that's how I work (I do need to read it though, visual is a large part of it for me). I do notice some difference between monitors, but very little, and it's easy enough to deal with.

Essentially, that 17 ms is pretty much transparent to us in reality. And if we're talking about random lags that add up, there's the time it takes for our fingers to move from the starting position down until the key triggers, the time it takes for the signal to enter the computer, the time it takes the computer to process the fact that the keyboard was just pressed, and the time it takes to figure out whether you hit at the right time or not. In reality, we're probably pressing the note a considerable time before it is actually processed on the screen.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 06:26:50 AM »
right. most of these I would assume have already been adjusted for by the chart maker.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »
No, it's not necessary to adjust for them in the chart, the notes should be placed directly where they need to be, we adjust ourselves. Our brain adjusts to see exactly where the note needs to be so that when we press the key, by the time it processes it, the note was in the right position. Essentially, our brain decides when to begin the process of hitting the button, and if we start when the screen shows the note being exactly on ithe receptor, it will be a worse timing window than if we started early, which our brain makes us do.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x