Author Topic: Anyone here use AVG 8 Free?  (Read 4678 times)

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
Anyone here use AVG 8 Free?
« on: July 04, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »
Because I upgraded to it when it came out, but it wasn't able to download updates no matter what I did. I Googled my issue and found that a LOT of other people were having this problem and there didn't seem to be any apparent solution. So I just stopped using it and tried out Avast for a while. I just installed it again and you'd think that AVG would have released some sort of patch or update of some kind to fix this issue by now (it was about two months since the last time I tried), but no. So I have this potentially useful Antivirus software that can't update the definitions, and I'm wondering if any of you know what to do here.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here use AVG 8 Free?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »
Funny thing:

I downloaded this and installed it today, and updated the def's and such perfectly fine.

o.0
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:19:27 PM »
Yeah it works for some people but for others, no :[
 - Alexxx

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 01:39:01 AM »
I've never once in my life used an anti-virus or ad-aware crap, and I've never once had a problem with my computer. Luck? Or just because I don't visit alot of sites I don't know or download random stuff?

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:41:54 AM »
Probably the download random stuff thing. I never visit malicious sites, but I download a hell of a lot of certain kinds of torrents, which are notorious for being bundled with malware and shit. But it really doesn't hurt to install that stuff just in case. Ya never know these days :\

But yeah, so AVG 8 works perfectly fine on my parents' computer, but not mine. It's god damned frustrating. Why can't everything just work perfectly all the time?

>:|
 - Alexxx

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 04:54:34 AM »
Well screw AVG and screw Avast, I'm going to use ESET NOD32 Antivirus which is way the hell better anyway.
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »
Bullguard is good.

I never use a resident anti-virus program. And I only search for stuff when I know I'm infected.

I tend to visit some less than nice sites, but I generally know how to avoid malware. I never download anything that I don't know what it is, and I generally download mostly movies and music from torrents. Well, and games, but less of those.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »
I'm a big software downloader, and a lot of that shit is loaded with viruses and whatnot. It's always a good idea to skim through the comments on torrents to see if anyone who has already downloaded it has found any crap along with it.

Since I've had some bad problems with viruses and malware and shit in the past, I always schedule my virus scanner to run every night when I sleep, even if nothing suspicious is going on. I just don't want to take the chance.
 - Alexxx