Author Topic: How to set up a testing server on my computer...  (Read 4232 times)

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
How to set up a testing server on my computer...
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »
I'm not sure if I worded that right, but what I want is to be able to view PHP sites that I'm working on without having to upload all the files to my host and view them online. I know it's a common thing, and there's some software you can install and set up, but I don't know where that stuff is located and what to do with it.

HEWP ME :[[[[[[[[
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: How to set up a testing server on my computer...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:08:36 AM »
You'll need to install both Apache HTTP server and PHP. You'll first install Apache, then PHP. PHP should correctly configure itself for Apache automatically upon installation. While you're at it, you might as well do MySQL too.

I'd recommend changing apache's htdocs directory to something like C:\htdocs or something easy to access. To access your http server, you'll access http://127.0.0.1, or http://localhost .

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 03:59:45 AM »
Alright so I have installed all that business. Say I want to configure Dreamweaver to preview the pages I'm working on, any idea on how might I do that?
 - Alexxx

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:06:47 AM »
I'm not familiar with current dreamweaver, but what I'd do is save the documents into my htdocs, then just alt + tab over to FF and F5.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 04:13:35 AM »
Dude.........

u rox
 - Alexxx

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:59:36 AM »
thanks. bump as i request an update.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 01:56:08 PM »
It works pretty much just how I hoped, the only problem is that if I want to see how my changes look in the browser, instead of just refreshing the page, I have to re-preview the page in the browser by pressing F12 in Dreamweaver to (as I see it) create a copy of all the pages I updated into the htdocs folder, and THEN I could refresh the page. That is probably worded way screwed up, but I actually just woke up D:

If you don't get what I mean I'll come back after my shower and reword it.
 - Alexxx