0 (0%)
MediaMonkey
0 (0%)
RealPlayer
0 (0%)
Other?
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Your media player of choice?  (Read 16035 times)

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
Your media player of choice?
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:29:37 PM »
Just curious as to what all y'all prefer when listening to your musics.

Out of the ones listed, I have used all but MediaMonkey and Foobar, and what I've always gone back to is iTunes. But I recently decided to check out how Winamp is since the last time I used it, and I'm pretty sure I'll be switching over to it from iTunes. That's actually what sparked the idea for this thread. So far, after only about an hour of using it, it seems to be WAY the hell better than iTunes. Especially since whenever the last update included the new default theme.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Your media player of choice?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:43:29 PM »
I use the old classic theme, I can't stand the new themes, even the bento theme, but I use winamp.

I've found that with the plugin system, and the huge userbase, I can get winamp to play pretty much any music file I could ever want to listen to, and more. Not to mention it takes up way less ram and processor time as other programs as well. On my computer, winamp takes less than 1% processor time more often than not. It fluctuates between 0% and 1% on my computer. WMP takes like, 5%, IIRC, and it eats way too much ram. iTunes, I'm not sure how much processor time it takes, but it takes more ram, and I don't need a program to organize my music. It's called folders, they're built into your operating system.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »
I use Billy. My library consists of only mp3s, so I don't need much else. Other than VLC player for my vids.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:08:21 PM »
I use winamp. Modern theme. Video is done by WMP.

Also, I checked out the mIRC "plug-in" for billy, the .mrc in the zipfile has this:

Code: [Select]
alias F7 mp3

alias mp3 {
  set %mp3 $left($dll(BillyMirc.dll,MP3Playing,_),$calc($len($dll(BillyMirc.dll,MP3Playing,_))-4))
  if (%mp3 == $null) {
    /echo 4 -a Billy stopped or not running.
  }
  else {
    /me plays: %mp3
  }
  dll -u BillyMirc.dll
}

Kuroneko, you should be crying as you read that code. I know I am.

But seriously, winamp's pretty cool. I like how customizable it is through plug-ins, like mah ZorroFuego 2.

alias F7 {
  if ((Stat* iswm $active) || (@* iswm $active)) halt
  var %blmp3 $deltok($dll(BillyMirc.dll,MP3Playing,_),-1,46)
  if (!%blmp3) { echo 4 -a Billy stopped or not running. }
  else { me plays: %blmp3 }
  dll -u BillyMirc.dll
}
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:53:37 PM by Zakamiro »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:19:19 PM »
foobar2000 for the ma' fackin win.

I like how it has a very nice media library (faster than Winamp's in my experience) and a minimal interface.  It's literally exactly what I was looking for.

Winamp is a fine media player.  That's what I used to use.

In Linux I use Amarok.  When Amarok 2.0 comes out and the Windows port that they're working on (yay QT4!) is released I'll probably give that a shot.  If it's stable, usable, and decently fast-ish I might switch to that.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »
perhaps i should give foobar a go. people seem to like that one.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 11:51:57 PM »
I use Winamp in Windows and whatever the default is in Ubuntu. I don't really care about library management, so as long as a lot of formats are supported, any music player is fine. Plus, I like being able to keep Winamp at the top of my screen, out of the way but easily accessible.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:29:07 AM »
perhaps i should give foobar a go. people seem to like that one.

Yes, try it. :3

If you find yourself not liking it for a particular reason, look for a component to do what you want to do.  foobar is retardedly flexible and there's something like 2184903 billion components available for it (okay, I'll admit it, I made that number up :().

vladgd

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:42:11 AM »
i picked other, because i use two.

winamp for music

gomplayer for video

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:03:50 AM »
Oh yeah, and I use VLC for videos.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 02:07:39 AM »
Oh yeah, I guess I should have specified I meant audio, but I'll leave it how it is so we can discuss video stuffs, too.

I use Media Player Classic for all my video needs. I've used The KMPlayer, BS Player (before it was shit), GOM Player and VLC Player, but nothing has ever been able to compare to MPC.
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 02:32:51 AM »
I like winamp's classic black and green skin, which is one reason alone I use it. I also like to keep it snapped to the left edge of my right screen, which is usually out of the way, but visible enough for me to see what's playing at a glance.
I don't like the fact that foobar uses the default annoying windows look. I like how winamp has a basic skin built right into it and it doesn't look like shit.
I care nothing about media libraries, as stated before.
My collection is anything from S3M's to FLAC to TTA/CUE and APE/CUE, so I need something that plays everything.

For, it's really a toss up between Media Player Classic and Zoom Player. I've used Divx player, BS Player, WMP, VLC, and probably a couple others, and have found that I prefer the interface in Zoom Player, and I'm quite fond of MPC because of it's interface being so simple.
I've found that sometimes MKVs don't play well in MPC, so sometimes I use Zoom Player for those.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 03:19:35 AM »
I don't like the fact that foobar uses the default annoying windows look. I like how winamp has a basic skin built right into it and it doesn't look like shit.

foobar is designed to be lightweight and extensible.  And if you don't want it to be quite as light, there's always foo_ui_gfx (found in under a minute using links from the official site): http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/show.php?id=108

And eh, just for the hell of it, a module player: http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/show.php?id=229

APE file support: http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/show.php?id=179

TTA: http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/show.php?id=181

And it has built-in support for CUE-sheets...

...just doing my part to dispel the all-too-common belief that foobar is nothing more than a barebones audio player.

Edit: In case it isn't evident, I prefer to build up rather than tear down (within reason, of course).  This is why Gentoo is my Linux distribution of choice and why I use foobar.  I hate having features available that I'm not going to use.  I like being able to choose them if I want, but I hate when things just take up space.  It's kinda like the UI in Winamp.  I never look at it.  I always just use my keyboard.

Also, Winamp's support for multiple playlists is rather cumbersome, to the point where I just didn't use it.  There is (was?) a long-standing bug in Winamp 5 where double-clicking to enqueue items would occasionally overwrite my existing playlist.  It was unpredictable, but it usually happened right as I was finishing up my playlist (leading to various four-letter words being thrown around as well as me calling Winamp a female dog, sometimes repeatedly).  It would also occasionally (but not always!) do this when I dragged items into the playlist from Explorer.  Very annoying.  Winamp's ripper is also one of the worst ones I've ever used.  While that isn't a showstopper for me (I use EAC, personally) it certainly didn't make me want to stick with it.

Finally, the media library isn't ridiculously slow at searches in foobar.  Winamp's isn't bad.  NOTHING, but NOTHING could possibly be slower than iTunes.  Ugh.  I think I'd rather switch to mpg123 and use shell scripts as playlists than use that pile of shit again.  Admittedly, iTunes has a damn fine CD ripper (whose MP3 encoder had a nasty bug in earlier versions, causing the MP3's timestamps to be horribly off...thankfully, Apple fixed that pretty quickly), but it's not worth using just for that.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:32:52 AM by Spectere »

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 04:07:29 AM »
If you think iTunes' library is slow, you should give the Zune software a whirl. Having been using it for a month or so now, it has become apparent that it's probably one of the worst functioning pieces of software produced by Microsoft I've ever used. Sure it looks pretty neat and has some kewl speshul effeks, but HOLY SHIT is it slow.

It's interesting to see how many different preferences people have with their media software.
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 04:40:05 AM »
I too prefer building up, and I never use winamp's ripper (I shudder thinking of that thing). I also use EAC.

I dunno, but something about the default GUI setup in foobar bothers me. I think I'm too used to the module based way winamp works (individual parts, all resizable and disableable). I like being able to (if I want) run winamp simply as a playlist floating on my desktop.

And god, iTunes pisses me off. The only thing I use it for right now is burning CDs, because it's burner is actually quite nice.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x