Author Topic: Halp, computer won't boot.  (Read 5390 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Halp, computer won't boot.
« on: July 10, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
I've run Combofix and HJT, and fixed everything I can see, and my computer is still not booting properly.

I can boot into windows safe mode fine. However, when I select normal boot, it looks like it's gonna boot, it get s to the spot where it turns on and off all the keyboard lights and the mouse and that, and it looks like it's gonna go, but it either sits there witht hat little progress bar thingy going for hours, or it goes to a black screen. There is no sign of life at all, because not even the hard drive activity light is doing anything. It simply sits there.

Oh, and when I say hours, I do mean hours. I went to bed last night at 7 AM and it was doing that, my brother tried to tell it to boot into "last good settings", and other that that, it was sitting there the whole time doing that.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: Halp, computer won't boot.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »
Eh when my laptop got to that point, I tried to use DBAN to wipe it and reinstall windows/linucks. Didn't work, apparently the previous owner had dropped the lappy before, so I assumed he scarred the HD surface. Got a new 120GB one, and it worked fine.

Story has nothing to do with your situation, but I had to mention the DBAN proggy to see if that'd be any help later or now.

edit: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »
I never nuke my computer. I have WAY too much shit I want to keep on here. If I need to do something like that, I'll go use the windows CD and install windows over my old copy (it deletes all the files and does a fresh install without formatting the drive), or possibly a simple repair install.

As you can see, I can still boot into safe mode, but nothing else works. I've tried getting it to do a system restore, but got an error, and can't get SFC to work either.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »
Bobbias, I recommend you 346747x backup all of your future data. :\

As for the fix, I don't know if I have anything to contribute what hasnt been already said. So yerp.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 07:22:25 PM »
Well, I reinstalled windows. And how do you suggest I back up a 320 GB hard drive and not go insane doing it? Oh, and the other 80 GB harddrive too?

DVDs would take about 85 of those to back things up at 4.7 GB per DVD. Say 5 minutes per DVD would give me 7.083 hours back that up. I don't have 7 hours and 85 DVDs to use for that.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:02:33 AM »
Well, I reinstalled windows. And how do you suggest I back up a 320 GB hard drive and not go insane doing it? Oh, and the other 80 GB harddrive too?

DVDs would take about 85 of those to back things up at 4.7 GB per DVD. Say 5 minutes per DVD would give me 7.083 hours back that up. I don't have 7 hours and 85 DVDs to use for that.

hard disks are really cheap now. Newegg just did a special for a 750 gb drive for $100.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:15:03 AM »
I'm saving money to buy a shitbox car so I can drive myself to school when i have to go, so that's really $100 I can't afford to spend. Not to mention my parents would bitch (a lot). I DO have a 1 TB MyBook World sitting on top of my computer, but I'm only slowly backing things up because it takes a LONG time to move much stuff onto that, and I can't stream video files off it, so the only things worth moving are static media(text files, images, etc.) and MP3's. Flac probably wouldn't stream well either.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 06:00:06 AM »
bumped. update, boobies, please.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 09:13:12 AM »
Update? I already mentioned, it's up and running fine. The windows reinstall worked perfectly, aside from breaking a couple programs and making a bunch of my desktop icons disappear.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »
oh ok. KEWL