Author Topic: E3  (Read 8911 times)

Eggman

• View Profile
E3
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
Microsoft Press Conference:

1. New interface for XBL that looks really dumb
2. A bunch of new arcade games like a new Galaga, new Portal, some other stuff.
3. Xbox Live Primetime - some sort of scheduled gameshow thing that sounds pretty dumb
4. Xbox Live Party - groups of up to 8 people can share videos, pictures whatever. Sort of like PS3's Home, but without the stupid Second Life stuff
5. Netflix partnering with Microsoft so those with a Netflix subscription can just download movies instead of getting them through the mail. This is super cool. Also super cool, you can share those movies you downloaded with people in your Live Party.
6. Bunch of games being released that we already knew about (Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 2, Rock Band 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, other stuff)
7. Final Fantasy XIII is now multi-platform and is coming to the 360, rendering the PS3 worthless to me.

Also, Nintendo announced the Wii Motion Plus, an accessory that will make motion controls have an actual 1:1 ratio. I personally would guess it to be included in the rumored Punch-Out!! Wii. Mixed with the Wii Fit Board for defensive motions, it would be a perfect boxing game. More on that tomorrow.

vladgd

Re: E3
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:03:10 PM »
lets see, mgs4 is now the ONLY reason i would get/play a ps3.  and im not buying a console for one game.

fallout 3 looks fuck awesome.  mini nuclear bomb catapult ?  ill take six please.  also, is it strange to want this game not having played the first two games?  i will get to those, and baulders gate later, i can't deprive myself of good classic pc rpg's like that.

resident evil 5 looks like resident evil 4 with better graphics....and co-op....with a hot female partner.  yeah, im sold.  co-op + good game = MUST PLAY

the new interface for the 360 looks pretty lame, and the avatar system is also lame. 

anyway, im not too far in the press conference (as i just found a stream for it, wasn't on gametrailers or gamespot as of the time i typed this) so i will edit/post more when i see more.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:07:55 PM »
with a hot female partner
sold

nah I don't have a 360

vladgd

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »
well i skipped through the banjo nuts and bolts stuff, lips, rockband, guitar hero, jrpgs that aren't 13, and the gameshow/netflix stuff, which was pretty much most of the last half of the press conference. 

so thats nothing i care about.

gears 2 looks like gears 1.  i liked the first one, but after 6 hours of co-op, i didn't pick it up, so i guess ill rent the second one.

banjo kazooie from the n64 for the xbla, yeah, im getting that.  AWESOME news there.

so yeah, some cool stuff, some stuff i wasn't interested in, some surprising stuff.  not bad, not bad.

and is it me or does the new xbox interface look somewhat like the playstations cross media bar mixed with windows media player?

and last note, the avatar system, i don't see the point.  STAY AT LEAST SOMEWHAT UNIQUE MICROSOFT, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO WHAT NINTENDO IS DOING.  whatever, if they end up making money from it, good for them, at least there's going to be some nice games coming out on the horizon.

and for something on the pc side

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumpgate_Evolution

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36254.html

looks fucking awesome, wasn't till after i watched the trailer that i realised that it was an mmo.  still, fuck, as i said before, it looks fucking awesome.

it looks kind of like freelancer or one of those space sim games, with a bit of EVE online in there, but the gameplay looks WAY more actioney than EVE.

and

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36226.html

mr koro, this is yo partner in re5
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:22:22 PM by vladgd »

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:58:08 PM »
"Play from hard drive: Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game. "

YAY
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

itsgravy

• Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:36:57 PM »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »
Well, although Nintendo didn't really announce anything big aside from MotionPlus (and I guess Animal Crossing and a new Wii Sports), I'm okay with that. I have so many 360 and DS games to play this year, I'm actually pretty happy I'm not given too much to get.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »

vladgd

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 05:46:29 PM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36397.html

another space game, and it looks awesome?

!

and from the nintendo press conference, including animal crossing....theres nothing interesting.

two new peripherals(surprising...nor really), some music thing, blablabla.

haven't seen sonys conference yet, but i heard it was ok.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:52:42 PM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:20 AM »
Sony had the worst conference by far. Nintendo at least had MotionPlus, which is HUGE.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 07:06:30 AM »
I'm lazy, what's MotionPlus? (aside from a new peripheral.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 11:03:30 PM »
I'm lazy, what's MotionPlus? (aside from a new peripheral.)

An extension for the Wii mote to give it more realistic and sensitive motion handling. Also yes, the Wii one was disappointing, they basically announced one game I didn't really care for. At least pikmin 3 has been confirmed, that should be AWESOME. Might even sell my Wii after that, unless the new zelda and mario games being worked on are awesome.

7:37 Miyamoto and Yeguchi address a question about "core gamers" and whether or not these games will appeal to them. In a nutshell, they respond that they hope anyone will enjoy these games, and that a "core gamer" is someone that enjoys games, regardless of genre, as long as they're good.

Umm, okay.

7:29 Someone has the temerity to ask if this is really more of a musical toy than a game. HOW DARE HE! Miyamoto says the questioner is right, and "that's why it's more interesting than a video game." The audience laughs and applauds at this verbal bitchslap.

Because that's why I bought a video game console. Oh well, maybe it will be somewhat like mario paint.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:17:27 AM »
Games do not always have to appeal to you. I'm not sure why people are so hung up on Wii Music.

And he's totally right on what a core gamer is.

Also, uh, is there really anything wrong with letting the third parties announce their own games? Just because they didn't mention every game coming out during the conference doesn't mean more stuff doesn't exist. The new trailer for Mad World is amazing. Games like de Blob and even the upcoming Tales game seem to be going unnoticed, despite being EXACTLY what people want?

Games don't have to be advertised and shoved down your throat to exist or be good.

And honestly, you shouldn't need 50 new games to buy every year. I'm still confused as to why it's so bad to not have tons of overly-advertised and obviously rushed games coming out every month. I've got 4 systems. Let me save SOME money.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 06:39:38 AM »
I actually save money. Probably due to the fact I don't buy video game consoles, or console games.

I just don't buy new games. I guess they're cool and all, but really... They're just not my thing. My most recent game is probably GTA:SA. Old games are just plain better *to me*. dunno why.

This thread needs more RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE of fire and death. Also, I might need to read up on this new Zelda business.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »
This thread needs more RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE of fire and death.

How about more love? They're actually adding a knock back feature for the guns in GoW. Apperently the directors said they saw a TON of people charge rushing with the shotgun and getting kills with it. Hopefully they'll do more to balance the weapons so the game online won't be such a retarded clusterfuck.