Author Topic: Is it worth it to continue making stepfiles?  (Read 4970 times)

K-Mann

Is it worth it to continue making stepfiles?
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:35:55 PM »
The question is out of curiosity, not out of spite.

There are so many files out there, a lot of originality has been used. Is there even anything new left to do?  I go to bemanistyle or FFR and I see thousands of files created by hundred or thousands of people. All the different kinds of music have been stepped, from Classical to Rap to Country to Electronic. All sorts of different methods have been used, pad charts, keyboard charts, bpm changes/stops, and people are even delving into negative BPM territory too.

I really enjoy trying making fun new files, and (as far as I know) a few people enjoy playing them. So is it worth it to continue making charts that may have been done before, and/or may be done again?

This little dilemma has sort of kept me from working on files. I have sort of completed 2, but I'm afraid they're too average to really be worth putting out there.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth it to continue making stepfiles?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »
Honestly,. theres ALOT of simfiles out there that do use all types of different methods and what not, but 60% of them or more, are absolute GARBAGE. And also, everyone has their own type of simfiles they like to play. Some like pad, others like constant jackhammers, others like trills, streams etc.
I'd say, if you like making them and releasing them to the public, then go for it. No harm in doing it :)

vladgd

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »
wellp, i don't really play anymore (maby about 30 minutes a month on average) but if you keep doing what you've been doing (HEY VLAD CHECK OUT THIS SIM) ill play and most likely enjoy em.

but for the most part, if you don't have fun making them, don't make them.  if you do, then do.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »
I dunno, it all depends on why you make them, really.  Do you make stepfiles for you to play?  For other to play?  Do you make them because you enjoy making them?  Do you make them to push the envelope and try new things?

If you make them for the last reason, you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find anything that hasn't been done.  If you make them for any of the other reasons, hell, continue.  Make them until you don't feel like making them anymore.

I generally make simfiles now just to see what I can do with a particular piece.  I feel that, overall, my simfiles have improved as a result and as an added bonus it helped to rekindle my interest in step charts.
"This is a machine for making cows."

K-Mann

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »
Well, I do enjoy making them, I just hope other people like them.

I mean, I'm going to continue, but some small part of me said "hang on, is it worth it?" I guess it is :)

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: Is it worth it to continue making stepfiles? -Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:37:02 PM »
it's like cristian989's photography, nobody sdays much about it, but it's good, and I like it.

And both of you need to continue your work.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
I've really stopped bothering with the online Stepmania community. If I make any files for release, they're for ITG hacks, and they go to virinpro.com. Any keyboard files I make I keep to myself. I mean, I might offer them to people here or over IM, but I don't submit them to BMS or FFR.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:27:56 PM »
Well that's really up to you. I've enjoyed what you made, and I'm sure other people do. If your wondering what kind of number that is, I really wouldn't know. All I know is I'd probably play them.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:04:37 AM »
Honestly, I would say that anyone who makes keyboard files,s hould keep releasing them. And sorry, but you were kinda wrong about "everything has been stepped". I find that hardcore, grindcore, mathcore, and other obscure metal/hardcore derived genres barely get ANY attention. Similarly, IDM and other obscure electronic genres barely get any attention. The few times I have gone looking for a sim lately, I just haven't found it, because nobody has made it. Sure, there are some things that are way overdone, just look at the new files section on BMS, but the obscure stuff is still REALLY difficult to find.

My big issue is that the community is way to fragmented now. We've got the guys like Glove and all the rest who release insane keyboard files, and then we've got the million people who make pad steps, and then we've got a whole bunch of people who are amateur players making amateur keyboard steps, but there's no real place that serves like a0 did. I've been consistantly disappointed with the new simfile authors. I really wish Reach, Toph, Skor, Snoc, Kilga, HST and the rest were still making files and that ther was someplace like a0 that served as a fairly centralized place for people to release those sims, because those authors are IMO WAY better than Glove and all the other ODI/whatever that place is called (I've forgotten). They're just getting to the point where all the keyboard sims are hard for the sake of being hard, and including triples in every difficulty. Sure, those files are challanging, but they just aren't fun for me. If you took Toph and all the rest and had them making harder sims than they were, that would be perfect.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

K-Mann

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 12:29:40 AM »
HST still continues to make them IIRC, but they are WAY hard.

As for the grindcore/mathcore stuff you mentioned, I think that those are really specific genres, so there probably wouldn't be as many charts as say, hardcore techno. I think that because they are obscure, no one knows enough about them to build files around them.

I guess I want to just stand out as a quality chart maker. But its hard when you have the amateur crowd and the hardcore keyboard crowd. It'd be cool to be the medium.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:26:40 AM »
Yeah, the current medium used to be the old hard.

I found someoen who had uploaded all of HST's sims once. That was awesome. It even had stuff he made under his short lived alias.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x