Author Topic: Soul Caliber 4  (Read 24760 times)

Eggman

• View Profile
Re: Soul Caliber 4
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 03:15:10 PM »
If you really don't think there's something MASSIVELY wrong with that Ivy picture, I almost have to laugh. Are people that far gone when it comes to breast size? They are literally at least the size of her head. That is what I meant by far whore. It's disgusting, impossible, laughable, ridiculous and just stupid. And now that I'm looking up close, her legs are pretty chunky too, but somehow her arm there is still nice and normal. Great proportions there guys.

vladgd

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »
it is your opinion mang.  laugh at me all you want, i like weirder.

more to your liking?

or maby you are more of one for something burley

ROAR!

(excuse the jaggieness on the astaroth image, it was either that or HUEG MASSIVE PICTURE OF DEATH)

btw eggman, she is a videogame character, therefore NOT REAL.  and as long as you have a vocal opinion that is the polar opposite of mine (like it always is) im going to keep responding.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:36:48 PM by vladgd »

vladgd

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »
double posting because i am a tool

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
I really don't care if they're real or not. For the most part, the characters are realistic-looking humans and the original drawings of them look normal and not like freakish mutants. Of course Talim's art is going to look normal. That's how she should look (although that outfit still looks dumb). The problem is with her in-game model, which now has an enormous head. Apparently everyone has to have something enormous. I've asked people who don't even know who the characters are if they think the in-game models are terrible and everyone I've asked has called them freakish. I've had no less than 4 people even specifically comment on Talim's giant head, which I thought was pretty funny.

Yeah, the game could be lots of fun, but I won't be able to get over how much they've ruined the aesthetic of the entire series because the kids these days can't just play a fantastic fighting game. They've gotta have moves that force people out of defensive tactics and make the game even more of a mash fest, giant boobs, and a create a character that undermines the already existing characters.

vladgd

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »
wellp if you are comparing this to virtua fighter(taken from one of your previous posts), let me (someone not "good" at fighting games) give an explanation.

for me anyway, this is how it works.

i suck at fighting games, virtia fighter is HARD, not easy to get into, and takes a while to learn.  i am sorry i do not wish to spend a lot of time working at the game just so i can start to have fun.  i have tried to get into it, but i simply do not like it.

the "kids" like soulcalibur because its relativity button mashey, its easy to learn a few decent moves with a character you enjoy and use them so you aren't button mashing.  and i guess that's it for me.  i can pick a character, smash a few buttons, go "ohh so that does this move, which i can use in x situation, ok, thats not hard to do" and enjoy myself.  the guard impact is in there for more advanced play, but for novices, it isn't needed (kind of like the counter system in doa...only you kind of need that just to get through the story mode on normal (talking doa4 here, not doa2 or 3)).

low learning curve vs a high learning curve.  ill take the low one, because aside from this, and DoA, im not much of a fan of fighters. 

not to mention, people pay WAYYY too much attention to the female character models.  are they outlandish?  yes, but what does that do to its gameplay? nothing.  if you can't suck it up, then i guess its your problem.

another thing, you mentioned "They've gotta have moves that force people out of defensive tactics and make the game even more of a mash fest"  explain.  if you mean the crystal thing which if breaks can cause instant kill apon you, you have to block nearly the entire match, and not attack at all for that sucker to break, its not going to happen in regular games for the most part unless its set up.  and higher tier players will mix up blocking with guard impacting anyway.

anyway, this is a stupid arguement which i seem to always get myself in the middle of. 

you hate the game, i like the game, thats all that needs to be said.  go play virtua fighter.

BACK TO TOPIC

the tower mode is a bit tricky, between each floor you go through...you don't regenerate health.  but the second character not swapped in, gets to regen health, so i see that as being a key strategy in later levels.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »
Virtua Fighter isn't that hard to get into at all. That's why they have characters like Jacky or Pai, who are way more straight-up combo-based and play almost like DoA with more moves.

And I wouldn't care about the graphical style that much if the series hadn't already set a precedent for much more elegant design. Or if the gameplay was actually solid, but it isn't.

And I never said I hated the game. I said it's a very poor fighter with pretty much zero competitive possibilities. I could still have fun with the game while screwing around.

And it's a lot easier to get people into Critical Finish than you think. I have friends who are pretty much in a blocking state constantly as bait to invite lower attacks or upper attacks (whichever one they aren't blocking), at which point they usually go for a guard impact and then attack and then back into guard. It pretty much ruined their games completely.

So yeah, I guess have fun fighting people online who only pick Kilik and Sigfried/Nightmare and spam forward Y XX over and over again.

vladgd

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »
i don't play online so its a non issue. (online gaming = over rated)

anyway, level 11 of the tower was pretty damn tricky.  i had to customise ivy up because i planned on being cheap and ring outing everybody.  problem, all 4 people had knockback, so basically if they hit me and im near the edge, i would die.  i did however ring out 3 people in a row, then the boss fucked my koolaid, so i decided to play it "fair" from then on.

get more hp, the hp regen ability on my sword (once a battle you can trigger it to regen like 1/5th of your hp bar), and a few stat boosting abilities.

and uhh give em hell, i barely beat it, but i got the "phoenix" achievement (win a battle with all 3 pieces of your equipment broken) so s'all good, i didn't expect to get that achievement so soon, since this was the only time so far ive seen anybody have all of their equipment broken.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 09:30:47 PM »
Yeah the tower is a bitch.

I got the Apprentice...really good charater to use.  He seems to be a bit over powered.

Also got Yoshimitsu but it seems he handles differently then from SC3.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 11:54:50 PM »
SC4, I lost interest in SC when 3 came out, I didn't  really like it too much...Although I LOVED 2. I still play it to this day. Now for a question for SC4.....Is Voldo in it? Cause thats MY character, and hes a fucking pimp. If he is, and if the games for 360, I think I might buy it.

P.s - OOOOOOOOOOOOO SNAP!!!! Voldo is so awesome. I fuck people up with him :D

vladgd

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »
course voldo is in it

like nearly everybody is in it

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 01:21:48 AM »
Please tell me she at least attacks with those things.  I mean cripes.

Used for skull crushing.

vladgd

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 02:02:58 AM »
floor 20 is pretty fucking lame

fight two floors prior of moderately challenging dudes who have auto guard impact....

then the last floor gives you 150 seconds to take out two people, yeah, that isn't enough.  they guard impact just about every attack you throw at them, and they deny you of 8 out of every 10 throws you give them.  i mean, i managed to critical finish one...but as i went to fight the next guy, i was out of time.

i guess ill try smashing a little more, and grabbing a little less next time, because critically finishing both of them is probably the intended way to kill them (or get good at guard impacting) and relying on luck to ring them out isn't my cup of tea.

anyway, shits challenging.

*edit*

so i do it again, and i didn't even break a sweat

juggling through all 3 characters (my custom astaroth based character, custom ivy, and unmodified astaroth) and mixing it up.  this time i managed to ring out both people...somehow.  one with astaroths upward swing that launches them into the air, and the other with his ring out move, the run forward and hit the melee button move where you charge forward and move them back.  fuckin' love that move.

next goal is to find a "third" character i like to play, for those instances i need three characters and don't feel like having two of the same.  so far, im leaning towards hilde, because shes fun, and the spear has nice range.  but im really liking the new cervantes, so a few hours fucking around tomorrow and we will see.

one last note for this post, i have 13 hours logged on so far.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:48:26 AM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 04:58:04 AM »
I've only played 1 and 2. Anyone here like playing as Cassandra or Sophitia (they felt basically interchangeable to me in SC2)?

They feel like the most balanced character to me. They're not too fast or slow, they are able to combo well, but aren't built around relying extensively on it, and they have fairly decent range.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 01:52:21 PM »
i don't play online so its a non issue. (online gaming = over rated)

FUCKING SECONDED. People put way too much importance on online. Really, when my friend played fight nights online, and someone got near losing, they would disconnect.

i suck at fighting games, virtia fighter is HARD, not easy to get into, and takes a while to learn.  i am sorry i do not wish to spend a lot of time working at the game just so i can start to have fun.  i have tried to get into it, but i simply do not like it.

One thing I always thought was good about SC, the low learning curve. Probably why it's somewhat popular today. Hell, what game with a steep learning curve IS popular today? People just want to find a shallow game and play it competitively.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 03:01:41 PM »
I've only played 1 and 2. Anyone here like playing as Cassandra or Sophitia (they felt basically interchangeable to me in SC2)?

They feel like the most balanced character to me. They're not too fast or slow, they are able to combo well, but aren't built around relying extensively on it, and they have fairly decent range.

They are interchangible and they are not bad characters to play as.