Author Topic: This fills me with furious angry rage.  (Read 54397 times)

Ulti

• View Profile
This fills me with furious angry rage.
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:10:58 PM »
http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/

Seriously, what kind of crap is this, I was all like "hooray comcast is badass, they upped my upload!", but now that this happening, I am greatly annoyed.

The article suggests a couple workarounds, but I haven't looked into them. I'm honestly thinking that I'm going to use Tor now, just as a permanent thing.

Kulli

Re: This fills me with furious angry rage.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:32:12 PM »
good thing I have verizon 8)

Malwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:15:38 AM »
Oh, fuck you all. You live in the land where (speed and/or price) capped internet plans are a ridiculous rarity and ISP-side censorship isn't on the fast track to manditory-land. :P

Still, that does suck. Hear about the guy court-ordered to use windows on his PC? :D

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 02:00:50 AM »
Tell me I'm not the only one who this affects. :'(

Also court-ordered windows PC usage sounds pretty sketchy to me.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:45:15 AM »
It affects me too. I get a few minutes of uncapped upload but then it quickly goes back down to my normal 45k/sec up.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 03:19:43 AM »
fucking bullshit. Comcast is such a fucknig disappointment. I'm considering calling comcast like I want to order their shit
then ask them about it, and then talk to their manager, and then tell them i'm not interested anymore. hahaha

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 05:29:16 AM »
Luckily, I'm still unaffected, my ISP is a virtual ISP who buys their bandwidth and infrastructure connection from Bell. Of course, my upload is stuck crapped at 56 kb/s,m as opposed to the nearly 300 kb/s I know it's technically possible...

Also, Why does Canada and the US have to have the shit end of the stick as far as maximum connection speed? Throughout most of Europe and Asia, 20 Mbit lines are basically standard, and they're even testing 100 mbit lines in some places, and yet I'm stuck with a 3mbit connection, which may be upgraded to a 5mbit whenever they get around up upgrading my area.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »
20 mbit? =(

=(?

=(.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

淫蟲

• 我們要有思想改造
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »
I usually get 15 kb/sec up and I'm not complaining. 

But honestly, this is fucking retarded.  What is it with all these idiots trying to prevent piracy?  It's not like they'll ever stop anyone from ripping CDs and DVDs, cracking games and software, ect.   I especially like how they say that "just because you have a 1.5 - 3.0 MBPS connection that doesn't mean you're entitled to use all of it at any given time".  If they seriously can't provide that much bandwith for all their customers 24/7 then they need to upgrade their network. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:47:35 PM by Pancake »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »
In my part of Maryland, Comcast and Verizon are the two major ISPs.

Guess which one I'm calling today.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 01:35:29 PM »
If they seriously can't provide that much bandwith for all their customers 24/7 then they need to upgrade their network. 

I completely agree. If they say I'm getting a 3.0 Mbit connection, I damn well expect to have full and complete access to the internet with 3.0 Mbits worth of connectivity at any given time. I do rarely ever hit that sort of speed downloading, due to the Weakest Link Syndrome (connection only as fast as the slowest computer it travels through), but I'm happy that when I do get it, they don't cap me off at some stupid rate after so long.

Of course, I also have Encryption enabled in my uTorrent all the time :P

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Korremar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 02:40:10 PM »
Yeah, I'm boned by Comcast. As soon as Verizon starts running down here we're gonna switch. As well, they're working on a fantastic-looking fiber service.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »
I wonder how many people Comcast is gonna lose? Maybe they'll rethink this after they lose a whole ton of customers.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

淫蟲

• 我們要有思想改造
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 03:11:43 PM »
I want to convince my dad to switch to that fiber-optics network, but he's afraid of change or something.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 03:12:41 PM »
What kills me is that they automatically assume that BitTorrent is only going to be used by pirates.  Really, it has enough legit uses (legal music distribution, HUGE releases from FOSS vendors, etc) that it simply shouldn't be stopped like this.  Not to mention that if they're going to cap one thing, what's to stop them from capping everything?

I'm having a bit of a problem, though: I called Verizon today and they aren't sure if our apartment is close enough to their office.  Hopefully the only reason they don't have this place on their system is because it's a fairly new complex, otherwise Comcast's idiocy is going to get circumvented somehow -- there's always a way around stupid restrictions.
"This is a machine for making cows."